What's new

"Now Showing"

kimahri said:
Pieman said:
I like what Pixar's doing a hell of a lot more. :wink:

I consider them as something different.

Pixar can stay.

The non-pixar CG movies can bugger off though.

Yeah, other companies don't quite manage to pull off what they do. *glares at Dreamworks and Shrek 3*

Invictus
I thought I might as well watch a South African move jut because the Wold Cup is taking place there!

The Movie was alright. It was a little slow at times, and I'm not a fan of rugby. However, it was a well done movie, and it is definitely worth watching if your bored!

7/10

Just seen Shrek Forever After...

Wasn't too bad, bit more of a surprise when I found out my local cinema had the 3d capabilities. Good pace and in a way you don't need to see the first 3 movies to know what's with the story as its explained at the start of the movie. Nice pace, the 3D wasn't too bad, especially since I got a good seat to watch it.

Rating: 8/10

Grown Ups

Not as funny as I thought it would be, but proved for some good laughs.. especially among my group of friends who went.

7/10

Watched Get him to the Greek.

I liked Forgetting Sarah Marshall and I thought Russell Brand was great in it, loved the outrageous character. This film however just seems to miss the spot. Seems just quite boring at the start and the jokes don't work most of the time. Then about half way through the film wakes up and becomes funny, very funny but it's just got no flow to it and doesn't work as well as it should do. It's a shame, a film with such great promise is very badly written and just doesn't work.

Rating: 2/5

Watched Grown Ups.

I liked most of it, was pretty funny. My swim coach, on the other hand, absolutely loved it as he does the same things when he gets together with his friends.

7.5/10[/u]

I've spent the last couple of days watching a bunch of films from my favourite genre: psycho biddy!

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?

I probably watch this every 6 months or so, so would have mentioned it in here before at some point. My favourite film of all time and the one that inspired the whole psycho biddy genre. Joan Crawford as a crippled, ex-movie star and Bette Davis as her nutjob, former-child-star sister. AMAZING! 10/10

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa2USJZHywE[/youtube]

Hush ... Hush, Sweet Charlotte

By the same writer as Baby Jane and stars Bette Davis again, but this time with Olivia DeHavilland as her malicious cousin. Joan Crawford was supposed to be in this, but quit after Bette Davis basically forced her out. Again, Davis plays the "crazy" role, and is so over the top it's brilliant. Great stuff. 8/10

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac8Lc_vF6G0[/youtube]

Strait-Jacket

Joan Crawford goes ape **** with an axe after finding her husband in bed with another woman. Years later, she's released from the mental institution and people start getting slaughtered again. Hilariously bad, but Crawford is brilliant in it. 8/10

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQMlThfPeIQ&feature=related[/youtube]

The Nanny

Bette Davis again, this time in a Hammer film as a creepy nanny. Genuinely quite chilling, and Davis is amazing. 9/10

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_2519YDw4c[/youtube]

Whatever Happened to Aunt Alice?

A rich woman is left with no money after her husband dies, so takes to murdering her housekeepers after she convinces them to "invest" their savings. Geraldine Page plays the main character, and is absolutely brilliant. 8/10

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yprZBpa1lFg[/youtube]

What's the Matter With Helen?

Debbie Reynolds and Shelley Winters flee their old life after their sons are convicted of murder, give themselves new identities and set up a Hollywood dance school (as you do) but Helen (Winters) can't take the strain and the worry that they have been followed. Great performances, but the film is mediocre at best. 7/10

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TkQG8X2784[/youtube]

Whoever Slew Auntie Roo?

A modern(ish) take on the Hansel and Gretel story, again with Shelley Winters and with that creepy little "Oliver/father of Michael Jackson's children" kid. Not the best of the psycho biddy films, but worth a watch. 7/10

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvLdTFQ9RGU[/youtube]

Our family wedding

Went expecting something very bad and came out with a smile on my face. It's a fun film with some hilarious moments and is just enjoyable to watch. Yeah it's nothing special but it doesn't try to be anything more than it is, a fun film about family.

Rating: 3/5

Just watched the Frighteners. Havent seen it in so long. Such an epic film!

I'm pretty certain that it is Peter Jacksons first film, i.e. one that he wrote and directed. However, it might just be an early one of his..... Clicks in IMDB One of his early ones ;)

This film just works, there some deeply dark/scary moments, and some brilliantly hilarious ones too. Its a perfect all rounder film. And a major bonus is Michael J Fox. Just love him in his films.

For those who don;t know. The Firghteners is about a guy who devlopes some psykick powers to be able to talk to the dead. But he then realises that he can see a specific group of people who are going to be killed from beyond the grave one after the other. He has to do some stuff to stop it.

What i just described was most probably the worst film you could think of, but im **** at descriptions. So just go and watch it!

8/10

I love The Frighteners. I was already a big fan of Peter Jackson after Bad Taste, Meet the Feebles and Braindead.

It was his first kind of "real budget" film, and you can see him pushing boundaries in CGI there. I think his Oscars for Beautiful Creatures got him a good deal with the studios, so he was allowed "to play".

The film isn't brilliant to be honest, it's a bit kind of "light". However, it's just fun to watch and the "ghost" is actually quite creepy - or it was all those years ago when I saw it at the cinema :)

I guess if you like light, simple comedy/ghost stories (like I do), then you'll love it.

It's "charming" :lol:

I watched the Dukes of Hazzard last night. I used to love the TV show as a kid, and it was a great kind of trip down memory lane. It was stupid, simplistic, unchallenging and utterly without any redeeming features. Great entertainment for an hour and a half :)

Over the weekend I watched Ponyo. What a great film, absolutely adorable :) Both minor_furie's were glued to the screen too fo rit all. So all three of us entertained.

Brilliant! 9/10!

Also watched Pete's Dragon. I loved the film as a kid, but didn't realise quite how long and tedious it actually is. Not great really. 7/10

furie said:
Over the weekend I watched Ponyo. What a great film, absolutely adorable :) Both minor_furie's were glued to the screen too fo rit all. So all three of us entertained.

Brilliant! 9/10!

Ghibli <3

On the subject of Harry Potter, I gave up watching the films after Prisoner of Azkaban...

Today we (finally) finished watching Pan's Labyrinth. It was brilliantly well done and turned the typically family genre of adventure-fantasy into a very enjoyably, violent adult film. I thought it was a film with great direction, and left me just feeling "wow"

9/10

Today we (finally) finished watching Pan's Labyrinth. It was brilliantly well done and turned the typically family genre of adventure-fantasy into a very enjoyably, violent adult film. I thought it was a film with great direction, and left me just feeling "wow"

9/10

I was like, shocked when I watched Pan's Labyrinth for the first time.. Like, I went in expecting a childish fantasy and I got like, a very unique horror-fantasy that I've never seen in any movie before.

As you can imagine, I've got little else to do but watch DVDs atm. Here's the verdict on yesterday's watches...

I love you, man
In some ways, it's your typical rom-com, in other ways, it turns the entire genre completely on its head. Therefore, I think its original enough to hold your interest, and makes it well worth watching. There's also some incredibly funny moments in there.
4/5

Cloudy with a chance of meatballs
I'd previously dismissed this as I tend not to really like non-Pixar CG films. However, Sara told me to watch it, then bought it for me to make sure I would... and I'm glad I did. As with most kids films it's pretty predictable, but the story is original enough to get away with it. Also got some real lol moments.
3/5

Step Brothers
Possibly not one of Ferrell's absolute finest, but certainly much better than some of his other more recent efforts. Again, predictable, but hillariously funny. If you love ridiculous films and/or Will Ferrell, you'll love this.
4/5

Probably watch a couple more later... will keep you updated.

LiveForTheLaunch said:
I was like, shocked when I watched Pan's Labyrinth for the first time.. Like, I went in expecting a childish fantasy and I got like, a very unique horror-fantasy that I've never seen in any movie before.

Exactly how I felt. it completely turned the genre on its head, and I liked it. I'd love to see a few more of these type of adult-fantasy (not THAT kind of fantasy ;)) films. But perhaps having Pan's as a one-off will maintain it's uniqueness though...

^Check out Del Toro's other movies, they're all delightfully twisted and bizarre (with the exception of Hellboy, blergh) But seriously, check out The Orphanage, Devils Backbone and Cronos, all highly awesome.

They're less fantasy than Pan's, more horror, but still have the same style.

Also, if you like that sort of dark fantasy, you should watch (if you haven't already) Dark Crystal and Labyrinth. Kids films yes but I find them very macabre and disturbing. Jim Henson is pure evil and I love it =]

I turned The Orphanage off halfway through. I found it really bland, dull and tedious. It didn't have anything that grabbed me at all.

Chronos was good though :)