What's new

"Now Showing"

kimahri

CF Legend
^^ It looks the same animation studio so it would make sense. It looks more like it's part of the story rather than an adaptation...

peep

CF Legend
^It's actually neither. BFI always hand out little sheets about the film etc. The one about this film said that there are 4 games, a trilogy and then a prequel about how the two main characters met. It then goes on to say that this is just a random tale from one of their many journeys together and the story has nothing to do with the 4 games.

kimahri

CF Legend
There's 5 games though, 2 games set after curious village and 2 games before, and this movie apparenly takes place between the 2 prequels (I don't actually know the story any more since I lost interest in the series).

Also there's another movie, another game and from what I gathered another trilogy being talked about. Unless I'm reading wrong.

I would like to find out the animation studio though.

Ollie

CF Legend
The Human Centipede (First Sequence):
It's not actually as disturbing and disgusting as they're making it out to be. The acting at the start is terrible.
Once the Human Centipede is made though the film kinda runs out of ideas and spends the second half of the film just doing random stuff that doesn't really add to the story at all.
The first time the front guy shat into the mouth of the girl behind her was pretty gross though. Razz
And the ending was a bit like....ok... as well and I'm not sure how they can make a sequel to follow on.
Anyway it gets an ok 6/10 from me.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Prince of Persia

A bit more easier to review here, it's basically PotC in Arabia, but with a more interesting cast-list rather than two really good actors and some dodgy other ones...

Although it does rip off quite a few films (the opening shot made me think instantly of another Disney classic), the stunts are rather good and of decent variety enough rather than just continuous free-running...

Although the film did go off on a bit of a tangent when Alfred Molina came in, in retrospect I don't think that scene in question went on tooooooo long... But usually the scenes with Alfred didn't do exceptionally much to the story...

Ben Kingsley was underused... I'm starting to get annoyed with the lack of bad guy usage in recent years... Although he played the role very well...

Gemma Arterton cleavage shot <3

7/10

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ Ohhhh, Gemma Arterton breast shots <3

Watched Iron Man last night as I knew I'd be watching Iron Man 2 today at the cinema. Now I hate, hate, hate, hate with a vengeance comic-book films. They're awful and naff, and I really am not into the shoddy story lines and high intensity action scenes. However, Iron Man was probably the best comic-book film I have ever had to endure. It didn't have too much action, had a decent enough story (though it will still quite far-fetched). It was better than expected.

7.5/10

So I then watched Iron Man 2 today. I have to admit I was slightly looking forward to it, but knew it couldn't match the first one. I was correct. It just didn't have the same feel to it unlike the first one. The plot seemed a bit too desperate and drawn out. It was still, once again, one of the better comic-book films I'd seen, just not as good as IM1.

7/10

I then went to see Prince of Persia. I didn't really want to see it and had never played the games. It was quite hard to get into, and at times it was quite tedious and boring, but it was a satisfying film once it had finally finished. Not once I'd want to sit through again, just too much happening for my liking.

6.5/10

nealbie

CF Legend
Found Terry Gilliam's Brazil on iPlayer last night; and as I'd been meaning to see it for some time I decided to give it a whirl!

Great Expectations of this film were had by myself, but I did not receive Dickens. :(

More a JK Rowling in fact! A good titter at bureaucracy but other than that no strength in depth to it. Orwell would be bitterly disappointed.

4/10

RCF

Strata Poster
Finally watched "Across the Universe".

Trippy. As. Hell.

But for a real review, me being a HUGE Beatles fan made me have high expectations and it didn't disappoint really. I thought it was a really good movie and a must see for Beatles fans. 9/10

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Just got back from seeing She's Out Of My League. It was as expected - a fun, humorous and at times dry comedy with two attractive females which made every guy in the screening gasp at. It was quite amusing, with no too much or too little humour. The story was believable and fun, and the film was just nice to watch.

7/10

peep

CF Legend
Been watching quite a bit today.

Last night/early hours of this morning I watched The Good, the Bad and the Ugly on DVD.

It takes ages to get going (like a good hour and a half) but once it does it's pretty awesome. Best bit is definitely the end scenes at the graveyard, epic. What annoys me about the film is the extremely bad lip-syncing, it drives me up the wall.

Rating: 3/5

Mary Poppins was on TV so I watched it :p

Still love it, great family entertainment with some fantastic songs that just stick in your head for ages.

Rating: 4/5

Underdog was next up on TV.

Never really wanted to watch it but it was on and I somehow enjoyed it. It has an epic villain and some hilarious moments.

National Treasure: Book of secrets was next on TV (gotta love bank holiday schedules on the BBC).

I love this film and I never get tired of it, great entertainment.

Rating: 4/5

I ended the day by putting on Avatar on Blu-ray.

It looks absolutely stunning on blu-ray and I still think it's an excellent piece of film-making. Yes the story may not be very original but it's told so well and the visuals are so incredible that I think it deserves all the rave reviews it gets.

Rating: 4.5/5

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I stupidly agreed to go and watch Menopause and the City today. It was ****.

peep

CF Legend
^LOL. I wouldn't even see that if I was paid to. :p

Last night went to see two films after work. First was The Losers.

Didn't really have any expectations (saw the trailer months ago and couldn't really remember it) and it was quite enjoyable. The cast were great, providing plenty of laughs and some great moments. The action was good and the plot was predictable yet fun. The villain is awesome as he is just pathetic (if that makes sense :p). Yeah a good little film but nothing to rave about.

Then I made the mistake of seeing Cop Out.

I think Kevin Smith is a great film maker (Clerks and Dogma are fantastic) and this is his first time directing and editing someone else's script...it shows. I got the feeling the cast were doing better than what was just in the script but it still just felt flat. There weren't many amusing moments and when there was something amusing it was then ruined by something very un-funny. Obviously this is going to be a film that divides opinion (being a comedy) but I just couldn't enjoy it (neither could the couple next to me, constantly moaning about how rubbish it is). Like I've kinda said already, the performances are good but the film as a whole stinks of horse manure. Avoid if poss.

Rating: 1/5

Should hopefully be seeing Rec 2 tomorrow night :D
Oh and I want to hear as many reviews of 4.3.2.1. as poss, I'm expecting turd as the company I work for did all the post on it and no one has said a good thing about it yet lol.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ Peep, I bring you a review! And I must say, it's very, very positive.

Just got back from seeing 4.3.2.1, which is a British-chav aimed film with standard Brit ingredients of guns, sex etc. I went with my mum as I'm in Telford seeing her for the first times in months at the minute, and she (like me) enjoys gritty street Brit flicks such as Kidulthood, Adulthood, Bullet Boy etc.

Admittedly, my mum was the oldest in the screening, and we quite literally the only white people in the screen. But I was used to this from when I went to the opening screening of Adulthood.

It started off slow. It was just quite a lot of things happening, with little sense or links between them, but as the characters divided off into 4, the story really kicked in. It was similar in style to Pulp Fiction in the fact it follows the individual stories of the characters, all of which have links that connect them together throughout. This was very, very well done throughout and included flashbacks between the switching of characters so the Gangsta-Chav audience could remember what had happened.

It was very well directed, had a good flow to it, and had lots of comedic parts, all of which were subtley put in to it so to not make it into a predominately comedic film. The chavs also made me laugh a lot during the sex scenes when a few of them would shout out "Brap, brap, brap" or similar chav-speak.

The film was well rounded off, with me actually leaving quite surprised. The ending left scope for a sequel (which I know looks to be in the pipeline) and I actually enjoyed it far more than I expected.

Most films I see at the cinema, I leave thinking I don't want to see it again, not because it was rubbish, but because I felt I'd enjoyed it enough not to need to re-watch it. This, however, was simply brilliantly made, had a strong plot and left me wanting more. My mum even enjoyed it more than me, and she's 40 :p

Although not my highest rated film this year so far, this does go down as probably the most enjoyed and well worked film I've seen. (Also, I was one of the first 5 on IMDB to rate it - geek times :p)

8/10 - But really was much more enjoyable than that.

(My longest review also - usually I don't tend to write too much on a film :p)

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
The Losers

Tongue-in-cheek is certainly the order of the day from this one, and the cast are certainly having a good bit of fun, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Chris Evans were my personal favourite two...

Lots of silly laughs come out of it through the quick one liner routines that go on throughout, and as John said, rather predictable and usual plot affairs going on...

Good bit of fun though...

7/10

peep

CF Legend
Cial thanks for the review, haha, the sex scene is jokes, lovely bit of work done by our online editor in there :p

Anyways I went to the cinema (I bet this is starting to sound like "back in my day" :p) to see [.Rec] 2

The first film scared the hell out of me (well the last 20 mins) and hearing that most of the sequel takes place in the part that scared me the most I was anticipating uber-scary times. It was jumpy but the effect had worn off a lot because of the first film. There were some nice plot twists to help keep the film moving onwards but that guy that keeps going on about the blood annoyed me. However, altogether a good sequel with some good performances and a great plot (even if it does go on about religion a bit too much) and oh what a surprise, sequel times ahead.

The Collector

If you like a lot of gruesome, far-fetched fun, this is for you. Lots of gore, but otherwise your typical chase around a house, only this time, the house is rigged with nuts traps.

7/10

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
So I watched Tropic Thunder which I had bought for £1.99 ages ago and had seen loads of parts to it a while back and found it mildly amusing. It was, however, not as good as I anticipated. I'd seen all the funny bits, and I couldn't help feel the plot was going little to nowhere. It was quite silly, didn't really leave me with a sense of actually feeling the need to watch it.

It was, on the whole, ok.

6/10