What's new

"Now Showing"

nealbie

CF Legend
I'm having to disagree with the "Robin Hood is Gladiator" comments. I thought very much so from the trailer that it would be, and was expecting it - but it wasn't thankfully. 9/10

Snoo

The Legend
If you take the basic storyline, they share many common similarities.. along with the 'dirty' feel to the film.. if you get what I mean.

peep

CF Legend
Whoop for middle of the week film nights!

Hot tub time machine

I was expecting this to be one of those 'everything LOL about it is in the trailer' films but I was pleasantly surprised and rather enjoyed it. There were lots of bits where it died a bit but it would soon pick itself up again. The cast were good and I don't think it would have worked with anyone else in the lead roles. Also yay for Chevy Chase, what a strange man :p

Rating: 3/5

Robin Hood

Once again, wasn't expecting much from this at all and was glad that it was actually a good film. There was a random camera movement that really bugged me in one scene though, almost like the cameraman was nudged or something. The cast were great and Russell Crowe's accent didn't annoy me too much.

Rating: 4/5

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Not sure about seeing Robin hood...

I loved Gladiator at the cinema. The opening sequence (on the big screen) summed up the fear, confusion and blood lust of a battle field. It was absolutely spot on. I wasn't massively convinced by the rest of the film.

The problem is, I know a huge amount about the Robin hood period. I know massive amounts (properly historically researched) of stuff about the Robin hood legend.

Now, don't get e wrong, I love The Costner Robin Hood, and the cheesy kind of Robin Hood series there have been on TV (Robin of Sherwood is one of my all time favourite TV series). The problem is will Ridley Scott have gone far enough for me?

Gladiator looked good to me, but I don't know enough about that period to be able to pick up on faults. If he's tried with Robin Hood to make it "realistic" and fails to get the accuracy down, then it'll annoy me. I'd rather cheesy and fun where you can ignore inaccuracies and anachronism that trying to be real and getting it wrong...

One of those films that will have to be seen at the cinema though.

I've watched tons of stuff, but most recent was Gamer

Mindless tosh, but entertaining... My opinion before watching it. Blade Runner lite after watching it ;)

It was okay to be fair. I didn't expect much, and it delivered a tiny bit more. Some good scenes (though the camera jerks and flashing were a little annoying). The story floundered around a bit too with some guts cut out to try and "make you think". Characters were never fully developed. Actually, the script was awful. Direction was messy.

Okay, it was pretty poor, but it was entertaining. 7/10

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Saw two interesting films recently.

Dogtooth

My friend has a facination with strange and foreign cinema, I do too to an extend, but THIS film..was completely out there! There wasn't any soundtrack apart from one part but that only had 2 notes in it. It's the story of a messed up father who raises his children like dogs, he creates a surreal world for them.

It's hard to describe, as it was the most bizzare peice of cinema I've ever watched. When the credits appears on the screen (quite unexpectly) everyone was left stunned and no1 said a word for a good view minutes, and even that was a nervous laugh.

I'm not even sure I liked it, it has graphic sex scenes, incest and voilence, so I'm not going to recommend it. But if you're curious, go for it. (Not gonna rate it)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlN5qpp8j74[/youtube]

Nowhere Boy

This is the story of John Lennon (played by Aaron Johnson from Kick-Ass). I loved watching it as I live in Liverpool, and I thought it was going to be a docu-drama about The Beatles, but they're not even mentioned!

It's the story of John Lennon's childhood, and it's absolutely brilliantly acted. Infact I cant remember being so blown away by performances like that, they completely carried the film and I couldnt' stop watching. Highly recommended!

9/10

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6Km9L1Sqd0[/youtube]

nealbie

CF Legend
Hmmm, on the face of it it does Snoo, I agree. But it really isn't Gladiator other than the style, the director and the lead.

Furie, I think you will approve. I wont know as much about the legend as you by far as that is your period and mine is the Ancients. But what I will tell you is I watched with some history mates and we were more than impressed. :)

nealbie

CF Legend
That does come from being the same director more of then than not. But yay for Benin for being sensible =]

Having Crowe in it doesn't help matters though, but there is a marked difference between costume design - thankfully - so it's only really a problem on the face of it :p

CMonster

Giga Poster
Yesterday I saw Sherlock Holmes and thought it was really good. Robert Downey Jr. did really good and I liked his character. The action was pretty cool and there was some suspense.

Probably 8.5/10 for me.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
nealbie said:
Furie, I think you will approve. I wont know as much about the legend as you by far as that is your period and mine is the Ancients. But what I will tell you is I watched with some history mates and we were more than impressed. :)

If they aren't using a medieval herringbone stitch that allows the correct movement in the costumes (no cotton of course) - even if they 'look right' - I'll be upset ;)

And I'll know if he's wearing properly folded braies or not! :p

Erm, it's that kind of detail I'll be looking for :lol:

I don't mind a little "artistic license" in terms of story to make a film interesting (or make it up completely like Gladiator ;) ) - but if you're going for an authentic look[i/], then it has to be done properly in my opinion, or not at all.

If it's wrong, it would be like somebody making a film about the Second World War and having the soldiers wearing bowler hats and the women in bright mini-skirts "because people in the mid 20th century wore those kinds of things".

peep

CF Legend
Saw Four Lions yesterday.

I thought it was a great little film. There were some moments that didn't really work but I thought that the majority of the film was hilarious. I think it has one of the funniest death scenes too but I don't want to give too much away about that.

peep

CF Legend
Me again :D

Saw Prince of Persia at BFI's IMAX cinema in London.

I really enjoyed it. Great Summer blockbuster fun. It's a cool plot with plenty of obvious plot twists but it's just a fun journey. The cast are great and the special effects are top notch. However sometimes I found the direction to be poor and I don't know if it was because the screen was so huge but some shots just looked weird.

Bad Lieutenant

This looked and sounded absolutely bizarre and it really is, just a film filled with scenes that make you go 'wtf?' and 'did that just happen?'. I found it really funny at points and one of my fav scenes was the iguanas..."why are there iguanas sitting on my coffee table?" Oh its so hilarious. Nic Cage is an absolute legend and plays this crazy-fecked-up guy so well. If you want to see something weird and odd that will make you laugh I highly recommend.

peep

CF Legend
Oh triple posting!

Saw Professor Layton and the eternal Diva at the BFI as part of their Anime weekend.

I haven't played the games and to enjoy the film I didn't need to. Was a great film with lots of humour (although mainly because it's obsessed with old British stereotypes :p) and a fantastic and original story. It's not exactly tied in with the games at all, just uses the characters and lets you enjoy one of their mystery-solving adventures. It got a little weird at the end but apart from that it was fantastic fun and I hope it gets a proper release here in the UK.

Rating: 4.5/5

Ollie

CF Legend
^^I'm so jealous. :p I've always wanted to see a Professor Layton Animated film. The games are amazing and the cut-scenes in them are really impressible for a DS game.

peep

CF Legend
Yeah, the animation was really good too. I can't believe it, for years we have loads of really bad game to film adaptations and then two come along in one weekend :p

Ollie

CF Legend
Where the **** are they showing Rec 2?
They keep advertising it on TV and in film trailers saying it comes out this Friday but none of the cinema websites in Gosport, Portsmouth, London or Hull seem to be showing it. :(

I've been waiting ever since the first once for the sequel and it's a film I MUST see in the cinema.