What's new

"Now Showing"

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Mean Girls was on TV last night, so I watched it AGAIN with wine and while getting ready to go out. Numerous groups of people in the club later were referred to as the "army of skanks." Too bad that awful Lohan woman is in it though...

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Sherlock Holmes

A rather interesting film to rate in the end...

First of all, Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law are both excellent choices and play their characters very well... Downey Jr. is certainly showing his talent and I'm looking forward to Iron Man 2...

The film is good old fashioned gritty Victorian times, which I think lends very well to that general era better than 'happier' films set at the same time... The atmosphere and props are very good and really did engross me...

The plot on the other hand is typical silliness but works well somehow... And of course the traditional mystery reveal ending is testament to how they've made Holmes' mind work in this film...

I enjoyed it, and indeed hope for a sequel or more... Depending on how they work on them...

Either way, what made this film was Downey Jr. and Law, and that made it work...

8/10

Error

Strata Poster
Went and saw Avatar in 3D.

OMG THE MOST AMAZING MOVIE EVA!

No. No it's not.

Visually, yes, it's pretty and has some sweet graphics, interesting characters, and good fact checking. But, the story rips off Ferngully, Pocahontas, and Dances with Wolves.

The good:
The graphics and visuals were pretty damn stunning. The characters are dimensional, progressive, and diverse. For once, they explain how the natives know English, how the process of being an avatar works, and they don't have breathable air. The avatars themselves are badass, and the linking is cool.

The bad:
Firstly, it's two-and-a-half hours long. And yes, it's very noticeable.
Secondly, as mentioned, the story isn't original.
Thirdly, it was highly predictable. Therefore, I was never surprised.
Fourthly, there was the standard set of characters that could be easily found (The corporate idiot, the marine hardass, the love interest, the doubter, the change of heart, the rouge, etc.)
Fifthly, they added a set of legs to common animals, changed colors, and called it original.
Sixthly, the 3D made no difference. I kept taking off the glasses to find it clearer then with them. I ****ing hate gimicks.
Seventhly, Two. And. A. Half. Hours.

Overall, it was ok. I will not object to seeing it again. When it comes out on DVD. I won't buy it, either.

5/10.

Sherlock Holmes

No. I never wanted to see it but a friend asked me to go, so I did. It was so, so, so confusing (I was lost within ten minutes), and so boring. Some of the scenes were pretty cool, but cool scenes mean nothing when you have no idea what is going on.

4/10

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
LiveForTheLaunch said:
It was so, so, so confusing (I was lost within ten minutes)
Now why doesn't that surprise me?

Snoo

The Legend
Joe Somebody

Well.. it was a Tim Allen movie.. so.. bleh.. but it had good storyline and a decent ending. Nothing fantastical.. but not horrid either

7/10

Now why doesn't that surprise me?

I know a lot of things confuse me, but this truly was confusing to the point where I almost couldn't work it out. It sort of came together at the end but all I got was that they were trying to stop the bad guy.. There were too many characters to follow, and for those who have seen it, I didn't quite get the point of Irene.

I think four was maybe a bit harsh, so maybe five. It did have an interesting premise and it did have good actors and cool/nasty scenes. If they cut out some characters and made it like, fifteen minutes shorter it could have been better though. Too many fight scenes..

Ollie

CF Legend
Went to see Avatar 3D today.

It was really good. I wasn't sure about it as first as I didn't think the hype it was getting would be worth it but it was pretty impressive. The visuals are stunning and the whole planet is just great to watch with all the strange creatures and plants. It really made you feel like you were there as well. Although the film is 3 hours long and it feels it as well. My eyes got pretty tired towards the end of the film and I kept wondering when it was going to end. Also the blue girl (that the main character fell in love with (sorry I'm useless with names)) kinda annoyed me and when she cried or shouted it just didn't sound right. Also towards the end of the film it seemed to go a little OTT in what was happening and the sense of being involved in that world suddenly vanished.
The 3D was good and really made the environment more believable. But at quite a few points in the film it seemed to make no difference at all and it seemed like a normal 2D film until the camera cut and they made one guy seem slightly closer to the camera.
Overall a great film and glad I went to see it. Won't be in a rush to see it again though as it's really long and it makes your bum ache.
9.5/10

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
I recorded Gremlins...

Even after all these years, it's still win... Wanna watch the sequel now as it has added Christopher Lee... <3

10/10

peep

CF Legend
^Gremlins 1 & 2 are just so brilliant. I think I prefer the sequel just because of the talking Gremlin, he is full of win.

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Just got home from watching Sherlock Holmes.

Hmmm, wasn't bad really I suppose, though the story could have been a bit more involved. Sorry, but not getting at all what could be considered confusing about it.

The two main actors/characters were decent, but the secondary characters, including the villain, fell a bit flat for me.

I didn't really like the way they introduced Holmes's arch rival (by name at least) right at the end of the film. It comes across as a bit arrogant to assume that the film will be successful enough to translate into a franchise.

Ollie

CF Legend
^It was awesome in 3D in the cinema. The thing with Final Destination films is that you have to go in there expecting it to be crap. The whole point is to see a series of amusing deaths on American Actors. If you go in expecting a good plot and acting then the film will kick you in the balls with a cold flannel. :p
Me and my friend thoroughly enjoyed it as we thought it was going to be terrible but came out having being hugely entertained. The deaths were hilarious and the 3D was great as well making stuff fly out at you. :D

marc

CF Legend
1st 3 were ok this was crap, you just new what was going to happen before it happened. Was all far to predictable.

Effect were rubbish, it was just rubbish.