What's new

"Now Showing"

RCF

Strata Poster
Saw Did You Hear About the Morgans?

Not a bad movie, but it wasn't too great. Hugh Grant and Sarah Jessica Parker did pretty good, and there was some pretty good humor. Other than that it was pretty average at best.

6/10

Kebab

Giga Poster
Is Anyone There?

Oh God, I did cry! I never sobbed like a little girl since my first time watching The Green Mile; about 3-4 years ago? This British Film is just simply brilliance, I knew nothing about it, and I won't tell you either; I just recommend you get the film without any research and watch it. Superb! Okey, if you're a big fan of the Paranormal and Afterlife, you're in for an amazing watch!

Plot: 8/10
Characters: 10/10
Cinematography: 9/10
Acting: 10/10

Overall: 9/10

I'm still in tears now!

^ That looks like such a good movie, but it never came out in theatres here, so maybe I'll see if it's in movie stores or somehting, because I've wanted to see it since I saw it advertised.

Actually hmm, it is at the movie store.. I'm gonna rent it on tuesday when I go to rent 500 Days of Summer and 9.

Kebab

Giga Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
^ That looks like such a good movie, but it never came out in theatres here, so maybe I'll see if it's in movie stores or somehting, because I've wanted to see it since I saw it advertised.
Yeah it's amazing, one of the best British films by far! I'm not sure exactly where you would get it from, my moms friend sent us a copy of it to us through the post. If you were close to a grandfather/grandma that's passed away, or have some sort of emotional instability over death, it is an extremely difficult film to watch. But nethertheless, don't hesitate, it is a truly fantastic film! Ouch, I'm still in a depressive state now after 2 hours of finishing, such an emotional rollercoaster; it can be happy, it can be sad, then it can be funny and then it can be devastating.

Oh just watch it, sorry if I get carried away it's really had an effect on me :p

^ The movie about the old man and the kid? It's at the video store.. So like I said I'm gonna rent it on Tuesday. And yes I do have an emotional instability over death as can be seen in a few topic around here :lol: .

Kebab

Giga Poster
^Yeah that's the one. Ah, it's not mind-blowingly depressing, it doesn't end on a low note, you'll see :)

Enjoy watching it then :lol:

Slayed

Hyper Poster
East Coast(er) General said:
I really recommend going to see the movie in 3D if possible, but you'll miss quite a bit if you go to an IMAX theater.
Did you have particularly chunky black bars at the top and bottom of your IMAX screen then Jerry?

I've been trying to find out info on Avatar in IMAX 3D, it's not easy. We have a brand-spanking new IMAX screen here, but apparently being digital means it'll be the new smaller IMAX screen, and won't offer that much more than a big non-IMAX screen.

I think Ploddish is off to see it there today, I'll see what he thinks!

wash

Mega Poster
^ Keep in mind that Avatar wasn't "filmed" for IMAX, so it will not fill the screen. Think of watching a widescreen movie on a square tv. So for the smaller kind of IMAX, which is a traditional screen shape, you'll still see the whole movie, it just won't be as big as a regular IMAX.

^....^ @ECG How do you mean you were missing some of the movie? If there were black bars at the top and bottom, that's normal. If not... well, then I'm confused.

Lain

Giga Poster
I really hated the font they used for the subtitles on Avatar.

Why, of all fonts, would anybody choose 'Papyrus'? Stupid James Cameron.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Watched a Norwegian movie called Gymnaslærer Pedersen at school today.

It was about... uhh... hard to tell really. There was a guy, communism, and a woman. I think. It was one of the most boring films I've ever seen.

1/10. Snoozefest.

RCF

Strata Poster
EDIT: Don't want to double post :shock:

Totally blew my mind, and my expectations of the movie out of the water and into space. The effects were some of the best I've ever seen, and James Cameron really outdid himself. And no one really cares about the font unless it's unreadable. But anyway, great movie, especially in 3-D, although it was hella long. Kept me on the edge of my seat. Not my favorite movie, but by far the best effects and an amazing movie all the same.

10/10

Slayed

Hyper Poster
^That definitely appears to be the concensus from almost everyone - not the best film ever but an awesome experience! I'm juicing to see it next week :).

BTW, with regards to the IMAX discussion earlier, some of the new IMAX screens are much smaller than the originals - however the small ones have digital projection, whereas the large ones do not (both will do 3D though).

Here's a comparison of the sizes:-

imax-screen-size-logos-w520.jpg

So a film like Avatar, which was not shot for IMAX, on the larger screen will probably have big black bars at the top & bottom (and a grainy picture as it's blown-up from the original footage), and may look worse than on a smaller IMAX or normal screen.

Conversely, a film like The Dark Knight, which did have specific IMAX footage, apparently looked utterly gobsmacking on big IMAX. I've seen Polar Express 3D twice on big IMAX, which was rendered specifically for the bigger screen, and it was awesome.

Ploddish

Hyper Poster

I've never been gobsmacked by a film before. I can't really describe the feeling of awe I had whilst watching the film - aided by the fact that I knew how difficult almost all the stuff they were doing was. It's not a perfect film - it's Dances with Wolves in space with cat people, but I really don't care. It's such an astounding cinema experience that I can't deny that I adored every moment. It didn't feel long at all, and for me, that's a sign of a good film.

Man, I want to see it again. Oh, IMAX was pretty excellent too. Completely immersive. I felt like I was really there on Pandora, especially with the 3D. My only problem with current 3D tech is that it's 24fps, and it looked a little juddery (to the point where I couldn't really tell what was going on, but only for that bit) in the Thanator chase. Other than that, I wouldn't see it again any other way. IMAX FTW, even a baby one.

9/10

RCF

Strata Poster
Slayed said:
^That definitely appears to be the concensus from almost everyone - not the best film ever but an awesome experience! I'm juicing to see it next week :).

Enjoy the effects. Especially in Imax 3-D.

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
Oh, and Lain:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium

Wikipedia said:
recently "unobtainium" has come to be used as a synonym for "unobtainable" among people who are neither science fiction fans nor engineers, to denote an object that actually exists, but which is very hard to obtain either because of high price (Sometimes referred to as "Unaffordium") or limited availability.

It makes sense, y'know :p

Is Anybody There?

Okay.. First off I want to say that this movie needs subtitles. I hate watching movies without subtitles on even when there aren't accents involved, but in this there were no subtitles and the accents got a bit hard to understand. Also, this movie has the same issue that the Boy in the Striped Pyjamas had.. The time they evolved the friendship was great, but they didn't do it enough, and so the potential was there but I felt like it was missing something. It was certainly still an interesting movie, considering I'm also intrigued by death and spend time looking up stuff about it as well.. And old people are also adorable, but yah, I moreso felt the concept was really good but they didn't push it to be the best it could be. I still cried, though.

7/10

tks

Strata Poster

I went to see it at the weekend in 3D IMAX and it was amazing! The plot has been picked from various films over the years, but in all honesty this film is about the CGI and general coolness of the 3D work that James Cameron has spent over a decade on.

I was very dubious about seeing it in 3D as my previous experiences have all been gimmick films where things fly out at you all the time. However it was done so subtly that the amount of 3D was just right. It really did add to the depth of what you are watching and certainly made me feel like I was there in certain scenes on Pandora (which is so beautifully designed I can only hope there's a planet out there like it!).

The 24fps is a bit annoying on the large screen, and James Cameron even wanted to shoot it in a higher fps but Fox wouldn't do it.. >_>

10/10.

Plot, predictable and silly in places, but this film is ALL about showcasing the technology and sheer brilliance that went into making it. It's also good to see Ana-Lucia has risen from the dead and escaped the island.. ;)