What's new

"Now Showing"

peep

CF Legend
Double post time.

I recently got back from my cinema day :D

First up was Planet 51.

It's an animated family film which I thought could be average, light entertainment for the whole family or something which is just boring and everything good about it was in the trailer. Well, thankfully, it was so much better than I was expecting. It was funny, entertaining, the animation was really good and it's a film I would happily watch again and again.

Rating: 4.5/5

Ok, so then I saw Nativity.

It was ok, some good performances in there. Had some amusing moments but I dunno, it lacked something. It just felt a bit flat, quite boring at times. It was also full of cringe comedy which I'm not a fan of.

Rating: 2/5

Then I ended the day with Harry Brown.

Brilliant film. Michael Caine is absolutely superb and the film was well directed. It felt very real and you were really hoping Caine succeeded in his vengeance, I felt the cinema audience basically cheer him on.

What is quite ironic is that some mass group of young chavs managed to get into the screening and about 15-20 mins into the film an employee came to chuck them out. Hell yeah!

Rating: 4/5

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
^Harry Brown does look friggin' great. I'd love to see it.

Watched Kindergarten Cop today. Brilliant film to be on when I'm having a down day. I love it!

peep

CF Legend
Went to the cinema this evening. Saw The Informant!

I had no idea what to expect, only saw the trailer once and wasn't really paying attention. I enjoyed it, not a lot to write home about unfortunately but it moves along at quite a nice pace. There were times where I was a little baffled (maybe like the trailer I wasn't paying enough attention :p) so I won't recommend it to Taylor :p Matt Damon was great in it though, brilliant comic role, very different to pretty much everything I've seen him in.

Rating: 3/5

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Started watching The Orphanage two nights ago. Gave up (due to tiredness) about an hour before the end.

Went to watch the rest last night, but just couldn't be bothered. There was nothing that grabbed my attention enough (or Madame_Furie's) to make us want to finish watching the film. The trailer was much scarier and more enticing than the actual film. It should have been great, but it just wasn't for some reason. I can't put my finger on why.

So instead of watching the end of that, we watched MEGA SHARK Vs GIANT OCTOPUS!!!!!!11111oneoneone Come on! After reading the name of the film, you all want to watch this now (how odd Peep, yesterday you met John Landis, looking for bits on MS-vs-GO John Landis has put the director of it at the helm of his latest film).

Erm, I'm getting off the beaten track here. Don't want you to get lost in the plot... A giant prehistoric shark (a megalodon) and a giant octopus have been trapped (alive, and not crushed) for 1.5 million years near Alaska. An experimental whale confusion device (I don't know, don't ask me - why the US military produced a secret whale confusing device is beyond me) breaks the ice the two prehistoric CGI monsters have been hibernating in.

So they both break off and head in different directions to terrorize the world in increasingly ridiculous CGI set pieces (or not as they clearly didn't have the budget for it).

Everything in the film is plucked out of a "stereotype lucky bag".
The brave hero is a: "Plucky blonde in a skimpy top".
Her cowardly assistant who will lose his life to save them at the end is: Fat with a beard.
All government agents shall: Wear sunglasses all the time and a frown.
The Japanese are: Mildly evil and cunning.
The solution to the problem will be: Pheromones
The father figure kindly professor will be: Irish -recovering alcoholic.
The chief army officer in charge will be: racist and aggressive towards the clever female lead.

It just goes on and on :)

Anyway, even though I've only seen half the film, it's a rampaging classic. The acting is almost, but not, utterly dire. The story and writing feels like it was penned by a Guinea Pig and the CGI (where they could afford it) makes South Park look high tech. Where they couldn't afford CGI? Stock footage to the rescue.

Laugh a minute film, utter bollocks entertainment, just what is needed.

I can't believe Madame_Furie looked at me with disdain when I told her prehistoric sharks can fly too... I showed her!!! She'll never doubt my knowledge again - "hollow bones" I told her! She sneered and went on about cartilage, poor deluded fool!
spoiler alert... LOL! Like this film needs a spoiler alert, you know what's going to happen weeks before hand anyway it's so obvious
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skYRZ_-RXtk[/youtube]
Om nom nom!

10/10 for entertainment. 1/10 for actual quality!

nealbie

CF Legend
I love that film furie. And shall watch it again on Youtube now.....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsUYRpTqpZIp[/youtube]

And sharks do jump, upto 10 metres out of the water in fact, so it stands to reason that one the size of an airbus (scaled up from 6 metres) can jump, ummmm..... 120 metres. ;)

Meh, the logic, it's sound no :lol:

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ 'tis a great film. Very funny.

Went to see The Men Who Stare at Goats last night.

It was ok, rather funny, but required concentration at all times so you can keep up with the story development....and when you get put in deluxe with big seats, lots of leg room, and seats that go down VERY far, it's quite hard to master :p

It wasn't exactly bad, but nothing too special either.

7/10

peep

CF Legend
You only require concentration because you too want to learn how to cloud burst and temporarily kill goats!

Shoot 'um up. Ug, I wanted them to shoot me so I didn't have to continue watching it. I have displayed my dislike for this film on several occasions before though.

Ok, so I felt like going cinema again this evening. What else was on that I Haven't seen? Well, Bunny and the bull for starters, but I can't be arsed to see that. I ended up seeing Paranormal Activity.

It's great. I love how it slowly lures you in. You know what's going to happen and when etc but it was done so well that it still shook me up (I'm not exactly good when it comes to horror films). It was definitely more Rec than Blair Witch which is a good thing. The one thing the film needed to do for me was for it to feel realistic and I felt it more than achieved this. It was also great having the guy trying to be a smartass, gave the film much needed comic relief. The ending, well, I couldn't have been more tense if I tried. Yeah the very last thing she does is a bit pants, I also saw it coming (trying not to spoil anything), I mean after she had entered the room. Oh well. I also thought that the scenes with the 'doctor' were hilarious.

I was also surprised at how packed the screening was. When it ended I could tell there were very mixed opinions.

Ollie

CF Legend
^Haha what were you like when there were no credits and they just had that sound playing making you unsure if it had finished or not?
I was expecting something to make me jump so was still tense after the film finished which is great.
Told you you'd like though didn't I? :)

peep

CF Legend
I thought that having no creds apart from the obv. copyright info was an excellent choice, it's where Rec and Cloverfield failed in my opinion. The music was so fecking eerie. I have to admit though the first few times it was played in the film I thought it was just an underground train :p

peep

CF Legend
Went to see Me & Orson Welles.

I was quite looking forward to seeing this film as I thought it looked good. I wasn't let down at all. All the cast were perfect, Zac Efron wasn't annoying and was so well suited within the role. Christian McKay was also excellent as Orson Welles, brilliant performance. Just a very enjoyable film and look forward to the DVD release.

Jake

Strata Poster
I've sen two movies this weekend!

REC.

Amazing. Short, but the way the story is told is brilliant... you feel part of it, and it feels so real! I like how most of it is in real time too. Not much to say, apart from that everybody should see this. Sooo creepy, especially the last 15mins...

Pretty good, and although it was 2.5hrs it didn't seem so long! The ending was a bit annoying, as it had a 'good' ending even though in that situation the planet wouldn't even be habitable...

The destruction scenes were AMAZING though, especially the scenes in SanFran and Vegas.

Oh, and by the way A-Kid, I find Green Mile slight overrated... it's a great film, sure, but I feel like it's one of those movies that socially, people are bullied into loving :p.

Ollie

CF Legend
Jake said:
REC.

Amazing. Short, but the way the story is told is brilliant... you feel part of it, and it feels so real! I like how most of it is in real time too. Not much to say, apart from that everybody should see this. Sooo creepy, especially the last 15mins...
REC <3<3<3

CANNOT wait for Rec 2. It's meant to be as good as the first one. Can't find a release date for the UK though :(
And I agree with you about the Green Mile.