What's new

"Now Showing"

Snoo

The Legend
Terminator will disappoint.. I guarantee. It isn't often I sit in a theater disappointed.. Terminator proved that to be true.

Ben

CF Legend
Terminator Salvation pretty much sucks beyond the fact it has a hot guy in it and things get blown up.

But... I mean...

sam_worthington.jpg

... that's movie magic right there people!

marc

CF Legend
Well what can I say, just watched Terminator Salvation.

Where can I start, tbh not really sure what I just watched. The film was slow, very slow until they got to the main factory. That part of the film was ok.

I dont see why Bale was slated by so many he was not to bad, there was none of this shouting that people were going on about.

Well I hope they dont make another Terminator film, please just leave it where it is please.

So yeah the film could have been 30 mins long, that would have done fine. It did not follow the series that was on tv at all, so god knows why people said it would.

So all in all 3/10 I think is fair, no rush to see it again.

What is funny is I said to Mark during the film that this is like Mad Max, when we watched the making of thats what the director said as well. They seem to have borrowed ideas from Mad Max, the new War of the Worlds and then older Terminator films with regards to the factory fight.

Error

Strata Poster
My younger brother convinced to me to watch Crank with him.

I really wish I hadn't.

The movie had funny moments, and some intense action that kept me through. However, I was literally lost half the time, and the camera angles were absolute crap. The idea itself was alright, but it was covered in a bunch of stuff I'm not that interested in. Not really much wanting me to watch it again.

All I really got to say, only good for one time and after that it loses it's appeal.
5/10

nealbie

CF Legend
I watched Benjamin Button just now...

First up it's epically long! So long in fact it's taken me a fit of boredom brought on by insomnia to watch it! I had previously tried watching it as a film, but got couldn't see it being worth the effort after just 35 minutes - so I stopped.

So at 2 o'clock this morning, I baked a big bowl of potato wedges, took a 6 pack of Carlsberg from my fridge and setup shop in the TV Lounge for my epic marathon of just one tedious looking film.

The title is most certainly apt, it is - in a word - curious. I am intrigued by the plot and really do find it deeply fascinating. I don't get why people slate it and it's got such bad reviews? It's a perfectly good film - it's just too long is all. Very few films warrant three hours! The Green Mile is one of said short list of films that fit into that category.

Now, before we go further, I must admit I'm about wary about liking this film as most of CF hates it, but Taylor loves it! Doing a Will is not a good thing to do! But that aside - it really is a great film.

Those of you that have met me will find it hard to believe, but yes, loud shouty Neal has a very sensitive side at times. Call it a redeeming feature if you will :lol:

But anywho, the entire premise is mortality and time - and it really set me off. It's quite possibly one of the most gut wrenching things to hit the screen since The Lion King. It really is unbelievably upsetting. I bawled - several times!

People say it's boring and "lingers WAY too long over minor points in his life"*. Well d'uh, that's the ****ing point! It's about his life as he gets younger and younger and he gets older and older. It's actually VERY accurate in that it doesn't create a life filled to the brim with over the top action and such - this film has realism in abundance. The storyline drones on like life should do, and ends just as abruptly.

All of the acting's great, Pitt shows us that he is (shocking as it is) more than a pretty face and the supporting cast is also fab! All that said, I rate it very highly. I just suggest that you make sure you have 3 hours of nothingness before beginning. 8.7/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Hmmmm... Benjamin Button is a well made film, it's just really far too long. You're right Neal, it can't be shorter, it has to be that long. It's just hard work to sit through.

I watched Gran Torino last night. I wasn't sure what to expect to be honest. I do like Mr Eastwood, but having hated Unforgiven (I just found it long and tedious okay, beautiful, but tedious) I wasn't sure how this would go.

I've still got mixed feelings to be honest. The film is obvious and clichéd, but still absolutely brilliant. There's just something touching about Clint's understated grumpy old man. I didn't want to be sucked into the film, it was just so simple and so clear how it would develop... There was just something special about it though. It was paced correctly, and always just handled quietly enough to get away with being such a simple tale.

Really, really enjoyed it - 4/5. Would have been 5 if it wasn't a story I'd already seen/read a few dozen times...

Reminded me to a degree of American History X - but that's a 100% 5/5 film :)

nealbie

CF Legend
It really is difficult to find the time to watch it, because it's not worth the 3 hours. Despite me really liking it. As opposed to when I got the Green Mile off Ian, as soon as it arrived, I put it on and watched. That's the difference.

But I was well prepared for it :p

peep

CF Legend
Oh Neal, you bring much sadness to this part of the forum. Button was a waste of time and money.

Oh and Big John. There was an article about that documentary in Total Film a couple months back, I really want to watch it, it looks...umm...interesting :p

Now, before we go further, I must admit I'm about wary about liking this film as most of CF hates it, but Taylor loves it! Doing a Will is not a good thing to do! But that aside - it really is a great film.

Haha, I didn't actually LOVE it, it was a bit long and it dragged a bit, but it definitely was a good film, just not something I'd sit down and wanna watch all the time.

But anywho, the entire premise is mortality and time - and it really set me off. It's quite possibly one of the most gut wrenching things to hit the screen since The Lion King. It really is unbelievably upsetting. I bawled - several times!

I was like, one of the only ones crying in the theatre that I could see so I felt fairly foolish, but it really was super sad because you know there's nothing to stop what's happening.

It's about his life as he gets younger and younger and he gets older and older. It's actually VERY accurate in that it doesn't create a life filled to the brim with over the top action and such - this film has realism in abundance. The storyline drones on like life should do, and ends just as abruptly.

I like that you pointed that out, because it's definitely true. Not everyone leads an action packed life :p .

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Just watched Paranormal Activity.

Worst

Film

Ever!

It was so amateur, so **** and ponders me as to why it would gain cinema release. It was so **** that people didn't even bother paying to have their adverts before the screening...

The only 'good' bit were the credits, and there was none.

Seriously, watch this film for it's comedic value and facepalming, it is it's only saving grace...

1/10

Ollie

CF Legend
^Maybe the reason you think it's amateurish is because the film WAS filmed by an amateur. It was filmed on an extremely small budget and filmed in the directors house. It was only released at midnight screenings in 4 colleges in America to begin with and it all spread by word of mouth and then talk about it got onto the net. Before long people were singing petitions to get the film to their cinema.
I don't know about you but I think that's bloody impressive for an amateur film maker and you have to go into the cinema knowing that it's not going to be a big Hollywood Michael Bay film.
It's all about the unknown and not knowing what's there which is why you don't see the demon/ghost through the whole film.
And we all know Ciall only likes crappy, soppy love films.

That said I still haven't seen it and am doubting if I will but that's more because of getting money over thinking it's crap.

peep

CF Legend
Oh Ciall, Facepalm is the only expression I can give at the moment.

Umm, so you went to see a low budget film and expected Cloverfield?

You went to a preview screening and expected adverts before the film?

No credits at the end? Maybe because a film doesn't have to have credits?

Ollie

CF Legend
Ben said:
Well done Ollie, you SO nearly made it through that post without a spoiler!
I'm getting better. :p

By the way the girl in the film... SHE DIES!!!!

*I don't actually know this as I haven't seen the film. I just wanted to shout something out but if she does, then LOL* :lol:

Ollie

CF Legend
Oh and in all that excitement I forgot to add...
I've just finished watching Se7en:
I've been wanting to see this film for ages but never actually managed to get hold of a copy. Finally got to watch it tonight though. It was pretty good. Not as great as I thought it would be but it was a solid film with some pretty good acting. They could of gone a bit deeper into the deaths though as that's what the film is about but it was enough to keep the plot moving forward. There were some pretty good scenes but I felt at the end it tried to do a really good twist and failed. I managed to guess what would happen ages before it did having not seen the film before or knowing the plot which for me defeats the whole point of having a clever twist.
Still it's a good film though and worth watching.
8/10

It was so amateur, so and ponders me as to why it would gain cinema release. It was so that people didn't even bother paying to have their adverts before the screening...

Because it's an independant film, made on a low budget, and it wasn't meant for mass cinema release, so why would people put adverts before it? Who the Hell wants to sit through adverts anyway?

No credits at the end? Maybe because a film doesn't have to have credits?

They were trying to make it seem real. You think credits might have ruined that a bit, eh?

EDIT- Forgot my review. I watched Santa Buddies with the little sister today, and it was cute for a kid's movie. A little cheesy and I hate the way at one moment they're real dogs and then the next they're not exactly the utmost realistic CGI, but it's a kids movie and the kids won't care. It was cute enough to keep me interested to sit there and watch it with her, and plus one of the dogs in it (well, they all were, but one in particular) was supperrrr adorable!

As far as kids films go, 7.5/10
As far as a normal movie.. Probably a 6/10

Oh yah and I almost forgot the most HILARIOUS voiceover ever.. Like, a five year old boy was singing "Silent Night" but the voiceover was probably more like a twenty year old, and half of it wasn't even in sync.

Ben

CF Legend
Ollie said:
Oh and in all that excitement I forgot to add...
I've just finished watching Se7en:
I've been wanting to see this film for ages but never actually managed to get hold of a copy. Finally got to watch it tonight though. It was pretty good. Not as great as I thought it would be but it was a solid film with some pretty good acting. They could of gone a bit deeper into the deaths though as that's what the film is about but it was enough to keep the plot moving forward. There were some pretty good scenes but I felt at the end it tried to do a really good twist and failed. I managed to guess what would happen ages before it did having not seen the film before or knowing the plot which for me defeats the whole point of having a clever twist.
Still it's a good film though and worth watching.
8/10

Get out.