What's new

"Now Showing"

marc

CF Legend
Whats in the box at the end then Ollie?

Its a great film remember seeing it in the cinema also have it on dvd, so much better than films like Saw which in my view try and copy older films like this and some others.

nealbie

CF Legend
Ollie. I wish never to talk to you again. I can't be doing with people making things up. You can guess but you'll never know!

Kebab

Giga Poster
Paranormal Activity

It does have it's moments, but it generally didn't scare me that much at all, just creeped me out. It was cleverly filmed, but obviously the man(?) couldn't act to save his life; some of the occurances which happened at night were pretty saft, yet some were believable. I really don't know what to say about Paranormal Activity, it's a marmite film, love it or hate it, and there is nothing much worth noting on. It's just a mediocre film.

5/10

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
Harry Brown 7/10

Brilliant. Gritty, hard to watch at times, deep and to top it all of, theres a cannabis farm.... score

Mr Caine is a true chav killer :)

it's a marmite film, love it or hate it, and there is nothing much worth noting on. It's just a mediocre film.

5/10

You either love it or hate it, yet you gave it a 5? Makes.. Perfect sense?

I don't know how people can't like that film :p .

peep

CF Legend
^Maybe because people are scared to concur with one of your film reviews :p

I Might go see it at the weekend, still not sure, too much to see at the moment! Cinema day Sunday :D

c&r

Mega Poster
Paranormal activity was awesome. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either an idiot or a pretentious idiot.

Error

Strata Poster
c&r said:
Paranormal activity was awesome. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either an idiot or a pretentious idiot.

To the same effect, anyone who likes it has no taste in well made movies, storyline, plot, characters, and is scared easily.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:
Ollie said:
Oh and in all that excitement I forgot to add...
I've just finished watching Se7en:
I've been wanting to see this film for ages but never actually managed to get hold of a copy. Finally got to watch it tonight though. It was pretty good. Not as great as I thought it would be but it was a solid film with some pretty good acting. They could of gone a bit deeper into the deaths though as that's what the film is about but it was enough to keep the plot moving forward. There were some pretty good scenes but I felt at the end it tried to do a really good twist and failed. I managed to guess what would happen ages before it did having not seen the film before or knowing the plot which for me defeats the whole point of having a clever twist.
Still it's a good film though and worth watching.
8/10

Get out.

Nah, it's pretty fair... Well, obviously being Ollie - it's wrong, but...

The film is, at its core, brilliant. From the opening sequence with a fantastic remix of Closer (any film with NIN in the opening two minutes has to be a good thing), down to the clever premise, the great acting and some of the best direction to come out of the 90's. Superb stuff.

However, Ollie is right... For the wrong reasons.

First up, you're supposed to realise what will happen at the end. It's part of what makes the film so good. As it dawns on you, you're supposed to feel the stress and tension that Pitt is feeling. You're invited to enter into his downward spiral which leads to the ending. The acting and direction makes you emotionally engaged and with him right through to the climax.

The problem is, that the ending is actually tacked on to suit the film and characters, but neglects the earlier, brilliant premise.

Everything that happens in the first 5/7th's of the film has been in planning for years. We know this, it's planned meticulously and down to the finest details.

The last 2/7th's of the film, are planned in a rush. The planning wasn't even possible when the first 5/7th's were planned. So the idea that there is brilliance and that the entire se7en is planned meticulously is shot to pieces, making the premise of the film fail.

Does it make it a bad film though? No, it doesn't. It's still brilliant, it's just that the story downfall makes it an 8/9 out of 10 film rather than a 10/10.

Kebab

Giga Poster
I couldn't really give it a rating; so I just left it half and half. It was practically a home movie, and if it was intentially made for viewing on Youtube then I would be amazed! Since it's shown nationally in the big-chain cinemas, it holds no light for me.

I didn't think it was terrible, it was a lot better than Fourth Kind which was just plain awful, and some moments in PA were very cleverly done, whereas other parts were either too "far-fetched", or just silly. It is a very over-hyped film around where I live, lets say I managed to have a good nights sleep :)

To the same effect, anyone who likes it has no taste in well made movies, storyline, plot, characters, and is scared easily.

Haha, funny enough, some of my favourite movies are considered some of the best out there, so I think you're probably wrong.

I'm also not scared easily. The last time I was truly scared by a movie had to be when I was maybe five and watched E.T. and The Elephant Man (which isn't scary but to a little kid it could be). Since then I've never been too scared to sleep in my room, until Paranormal Activity, which like I said, put me on the couch for a few nights. I'm a strong believer in the paranormal so, it did freak me out quite a bit, and I loved the way they didn't show the demon.. It made it that much more mysterious. I agree it did start out slow, but some of the scenes were chilling.

And Furie, I totally agree with you about Se7en.

So, yesterday me and my sister and mom had another movie night, and my sister being five, we had to watch something her level. We ended up watching Matilda which was one of my childhood favourites, and it's still good fun. I wanna smack Matilda and the teacher for being so annoying and proper, but eh, the movie is cute enough and there are quite a few funny moments. I <3 the mom and the dad though, they're hilarious.

7/10

I also watched 1408 again which is still awesome.

Ollie

CF Legend
Just got back from seeing Paranormal Activity:

As much as I hate to do it I'm going to have to agree with Taylor. It is a VERY good film and really well made. I think the people who didn't like it were expecting it to be some big epic film where lots of stuff happens which it isn't as it's made by some amateur film maker and the film has just spread by word of mouth.

I really enjoyed it because it felt VERY real. There were no professional actors as they had people reacting how you would in such a situation. Ciall moaned (because he's a girl) that the man in it can't act. I thought he was really good as his character developed throughout the film. He started of not taking it seriously but getting excited when something happened but later in the film he was slowly getting more cautious and ended up as terrified as his girlfriend.

Also it shows that you don't have to rely on special effects and high tech stuff to make a good film or to create scares. The film was shot on a budget of £8k which is nothing for a film. Half of that was probably spent on the camera in the film.

Anyway the film builds tension really well. It starts off with just a few bumps and noises in the night but then gets more and more intense as the days go on. You actually start to dread what's going to happen everytime nightfall comes as you know something is going to happen but you don't know what or from where.

But yeah I came out loving it. It wasn't the scariest film I've ever seen but it was really well made and took horror movies back to how they used to be before CGI practically makes films.

It was really creepy as well with no credits. I wasn't sure if it had ended or not as that sound was still playing and I thought something was going to jump out.

Even though I will still probably get to sleep tonight I would certainly recommend going to see it. But for once listen to Taylor and not Ciall (if anyone actually listens to him anyway) and you'll have yourself watching a very creepy film.
8/10

Also for those interested in which ending I got...
It was the one where the woman gets possessed and stands by the guy for ages. She then walks off downstairs and you hear her scream really loudly. Her boyfriend then jumps out of bed and goes to find her. You hear screaming and the guy panicking and then it goes silent.
Then you hear heavy footsteps come up the stairs and then the guy suddenly gets chucked at the camera. The woman then comes in covered in blood and crouches next to the guy. She then spots the camera and jumps at it which is where the film ends.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Ollie said:
Ciall moaned (because he's a girl) that the man in it can't act.

I never said that at all. I didn't even mention the acting :roll:

I stand by what I said in my previous posts, if you disagree, that is fine. God gave us opinions for a reason.

As much as I hate to do it I'm going to have to agree with Taylor. It is a VERY good film and really well made. I think the people who didn't like it were expecting it to be some big epic film where lots of stuff happens which it isn't as it's made by some amateur film maker and the film has just spread by word of mouth.

YAY! I love how when anyone agrees with me they always say "I hate to do it", haha.

Anyway the film builds tension really well. It starts off with just a few bumps and noises in the night but then gets more and more intense as the days go on. You actually start to dread what's going to happen everytime nightfall comes as you know something is going to happen but you don't know what or from where.

Yah, the dull droning noise that would happen right before something would happen had me on the edge of my seat! I was always like omg what is gonna happen now.

The guy's acting wasn't tooooo too bad, I mean, he seemed sort of like a skeptic at first and that's how a skeptic would probably act.

I just really love how they didn't rely on gore or cheap thrills. It seemed so real to me, even though I knew it wasn't.

And Ollie, I had the same ending.. I think that's the theatrical ending everywhere for the most part. The scream was chilling though!

Lain

Giga Poster
This evening (morning?) I watched Garden State, and Juno.

Both were quite good, and better than I was expecting. Garden State was the most impressive of the two, though. Zach Braff is a ruddy genius.

Ollie

CF Legend
^^Yeah I don't think it matters with the acting in the film though. The cast were only given a brief plot outline so they knew roughly what they were going to improvise for. But most the things in the film they didn't know about so they captured their actual reactions. Such as the nigh with the chandelier. They had no idea what was going to happen so their reactions were real. The only bit's you can slightly criticise it is the daytime bits. But that's normal live. Real life isn't a well written script and what the two characters said to each other and the arguments they had only added to the realism.
It gets full marks for realism as it seems completely real and always has you on the edge of your seat during the night time scenes.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Ok, I've decided that it wasn't the worst film I've ever seen, a few upon reflection sprung to mind, but it is the worst film I've seen this year.

Ok?

peep

CF Legend
Saw Law abiding citizen.

It was ok, some great plot twists. Gerard Butler was great in the film, some scenes were more gruesome than I was expecting too. So yeah a great 'leave your brain at the door' type film.

Rating: 3/5