What's new

"Now Showing"

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Went to see Spiderman on Saturday night, and I'm with all the other nay sayers. It was too muddled up with too many enemies and story threads. It just never really settled down to concentrate on any one in particular.

Even as an "action popcorn flick" it failed, because there were far too many dead spots throughout.

They needed to drop either Venom or Sandman, and have Harry without his memory throughout the whole film (ready to bring him back in the fourth film if needed). The problem is, Sandman just couldn't sustain a whole film on his own. Though maybe if he'd been less powerful, and had been used as a catalyst for action, it would have been much better.

It really missed delving into Spiderman as himself. They could have opened with maybe 10 or 20 minutes of Spidey going around New York, stopping crimes and stuff. Just lots of fun action, before starting on the slower "character developments" and baddie introductions.

I'm also fed up with Spiderman getting beaten to a pulp every time he meets an enemy. Sandman was perfect for being a great baddie, who SPidey can't harm as such, and has to think of a clever way of beating him. As soon as he became a 300 feet tall golem, totally indestructable, you lose interest in him.

The whole thing was just way off the mark in every way. Just because you can create huge scenes with fantastic special effects, doesn't mean you should...

I also watched Immortal on Friday night. Very odd film, filmed half real life, half CGI. Very odd mix in the style of Sin City. Where Sin City was superb though, Immortal was confused and poorly executed. It was a brave film, but pulled off badly.

Well, we watched Night at the Museum in art class, which really has no relation to art at all, but oh well, it meant we didn't have to do work for 2 days.

The movie itself was just okay. I mean, I was expecting it to be funnier than it was, with a much different plot than it had, but yeah, it was alright. The fact that I've actually been to that museum made it a tiny bit more interesting as well.

6/10

We also watched the majority of An Incovenient Truth in geography, and to hell if I know how it got such a high rating on IMDB. Sure, it's a very informative movie and I think I was the only one in my class not falling asleep, but it's not a movie I'd buy, sit down, and watch frequently. Too bad our class was being bad and we didn't get to watch the last 30 minutes.

4/10 for the movie, and 9/10 for the information I got from it.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Okay, so it's not a movie.

I'm watching the Sonic SatAM series by DIC from start to finish... Again. I was never a fan of the childish (LOL... mayeb 'silly' is a better term?) "Adventures of..." series. No one seems to remember this series. :(

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4jd0UWGPgY[/youtube]
I taped every episode when it used to be on at 7am on Saturday mornings. <3

I love the theme tune... 90's cartoons rule.

Mark

Strata Poster
I vaguely remember it, although, it is slightly out of me being a kid. It was an ok cartoon though, certainly went down well on those hungover days.

I watched Evilenko last night, and despite not having the greatest reviews or anything, it was still an interesting movie. The fact that it was based on a real murderer made it more intriguing, and the fact that he murdered mostly children made it much more gruesome.

6.5/10

I'm currently in the process of getting a hold of Pan's Labyrinth. I went to the video store yesterday, they were all out, so I called back today and guess what. They're still all out! So I'm probably going to keep going back until they have it.

I'm thinking of renting Shawshank Redemption also.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
LiveForTheLaunch said:
I'm currently in the process of getting a hold of Pan's Labyrinth. I went to the video store yesterday, they were all out, so I called back today and guess what. They're still all out! So I'm probably going to keep going back until they have it.

Have to laugh! I was in Asda (Wallmart) the other week buying a DVD for Minor_Furie. This couple came up to me:

"Make sure that film's in English!"
"Eh? What?"
"We just bought this from here and it's not in English! I can't believe they're selling films in foreign languages in bloody Asda! It's terrible, we've had to bring this back, but it looks like the whole bloody lot is in some foreign language, I don't want to get another film in case that's not in English either!"
"Erm, okay, thanks..." (quickly heads away). :lol:

LiveForTheLaunch said:
I'm thinking of renting Shawshank Redemption also.

You mean you haven't watched what is possibly the best film ever yet? I bought it from Asda the other week :lol: £3! Not watched it yet, but I don't need too as I'm just happy in the knowledge I finally own it (I'm very tight and rarely buy films unless they're on special offer :D ).

Ben

CF Legend
Eh, Shawshank Redemption is over-rated, and doesn't really reach much emotion at all. Other then a hint of boredom. It fannies about for a few hours, and then *BANG* he's gone. Woo...

Green Mile is clearly the best King adaptation yet, and even that's far from perfect.

You mean you haven't watched what is possibly the best film ever yet? I bought it from Asda the other week £3! Not watched it yet, but I don't need too as I'm just happy in the knowledge I finally own it (I'm very tight and rarely buy films unless they're on special offer ).

No, I havn't watched it yet. I've been trying to get a hold of it, but for some reason I havn't been able to yet. Now that I finally am able to go to the video store myself, I'll be able to get it.

Eh, Shawshank Redemption is over-rated, and doesn't really reach much emotion at all. Other then a hint of boredom. It fannies about for a few hours, and then *BANG* he's gone. Woo...

I'm assuming "*BANG* he's gone" refers to somebody dying. Thanks Ben. Haha.

Green Mile is clearly the best King adaptation yet, and even that's far from perfect.

Ah yes, what an amazing film.

peep

CF Legend
I have to agree with Ben here. Shawshank is just a bit boring, not much happens but still has some good performances from Tim Robins and Morgan Freeman.

Ben

CF Legend
I'm assuming "*BANG* he's gone" refers to somebody dying. Thanks Ben. Haha.

No, it doesn't actually :p.

But, you may well recognize the ending, you're perhaps seen a clip of it on TV, or parodied in some way. Eh, it's not that spectacular and fails to produce much emotion in me.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I love the film, as it's just a really easy to watch, enjoyable film. It's not easy to watch in the same way Neighbours is either (ie turn off your brain as you wont require it), just well directed, nicely flowing, gentle rollnig story, with some great bits of acting. Not a great deal happens, but you don't always need that, sometimes there's joy in a film in just watching a great piece of storytelling. I don't often find emotion in any film, other than hatred at poor directing, or joy at wonderful directing :)

Personally, I don't rate the Green Mile particularly. It's too long and is a bit silly really. I liked the books, but it was always a bit "good, apart from the supernatural bits" :D

Anyway :lol:

I watched Saw III on Thursday night. It wasn't very good really. At least the others were something a bit different. It pulled away from being a typical serial killer thriller. III just goes back to straight forward wrench and drench horror, which it does quite well, but puts it really in the same category as Cube, or Texas Chainsaw massacre... Only on that playing field, it's just another clone really. It's not a bad film, but certainly not in the same (dubious) league as the first two.

I've had Rain Man since Christmas, but for some reason never bothered to open it, most likely due to the distraction my other 45 movies I got as Christmas gifts gave me. However, I decided to give it a whirl last night.

Let me just say, to start off, this had to be some of the absoloute best acting I've ever seen. Dustin Hoffman's performance was just superb. I'm willing to guess playing an Autistic person was difficult but he just played the role really, really well.

The storyline really brought up a lot of emotions. Laughter, happiness, shock, frustration, and even a bit of crying for me in there. It was just a really great movie, and I've always heard good things about it, but it really did surpass my expectations.

Definately an amazing film, well deserving of 9.5/10!

Ben

CF Legend
but puts it really in the same category as Cube, or Texas Chainsaw massacre

Two fantastic films, I must say!

Cube creates such an amazing atmosphere of tension, it keeps you guessing, keeps you wondering and manages to keep the audience on the edge of their seats throughout the whole film. I love it so much! We won't talk about Hypercube or Zero though...

And Texas has such a gritty feel to it, a feel that really makes it seem more realistic, a feel that draws you in as an audience member, makes you feel true concern for the characters as if you were going through it with them. It's also vulgar, which helps.

God, I sound like I'm writing a ****ing English essay.

Jake

Strata Poster
I watched half of Jurassic Park 2: The Lost World yesterday. I've seen it before, but the first half made me turn it off. It's SO dull and slow and I just gave up.

Speaking of Cube and Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I thought Cube could've been fairly decent if it weren't for the God awful acting.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre was really good, definately a classic.

I watched half of Jurassic Park 2: The Lost World yesterday. I've seen it before, but the first half made me turn it off. It's SO dull and slow and I just gave up.

Funny, I did the same thing before also. Watched it once, didn't like it, watched it again and couldn't be bothered to finish it.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
JP2 has two outstanding moments.

1. When the annoying woman is hanging inside the truck off the end of the cliff, falls, but the glass stops her. In the cinema it was superb as you didn't realise there was glass there as you were caught up in the moment.

2. When the Velociraptors (they're actually Deinonychus, Velociraptors are about the size of a wolf) go through the tall grass and take out the people. It was actually a really good scene.

Beyond those two bits though, it was a bit rubbish... But Dinosaurs are cool so who cares? :lol:

Anyways... I watched Hostel last night. Considering it was supposed to be the sexiest, sickest movie ever, it was a bit pants. Not really dreadful, but predictable, poorly acted and just generally a bit sucky. Erm... That must be best. review. ever! :lol:

c&r

Mega Poster
I just thought I'd add to the quality of discussion by saying that The Green Mile is much more over rated than the Shawshank Redemption. Every kid and their mum loves Green Mile - I would swear to god that people watch all action movies and something, watch Green Mile, discover "emotion" in movies, then think "WOWZ OMG THIS IS GROUND BREAKING STUFF!!". I mean christ.

Anyhow while I'm in here I watched PotC2 a few nights back in preperation for seeing the third installment this weekend.

I don't know whether people think PotC are good because they only remember the fighting or something, but this dragged like hell in places, and I felt a bored for a fair bit of it.

I think it deserves a solid 5/10 though.

Jake

Strata Poster
c&r said:
I just thought I'd add to the quality of discussion by saying that The Green Mile is much more over rated than the Shawshank Redemption.

Yeah, I forgot about that.

I was dissapointed with it. I was expecting it to be realistic and moving but it was downright silly.

Ben

CF Legend
I just thought I'd add to the quality of discussion by saying that The Green Mile is much more over rated than the Shawshank Redemption. Every kid and their mum loves Green Mile - I would swear to god that people watch all action movies and something, watch Green Mile, discover "emotion" in movies, then think "WOWZ OMG THIS IS GROUND BREAKING STUFF!!". I mean christ.

At least The Green Mile manages to have a storyline, which is something Shawshank fails to even come close to.

Yes, you give wonderful performances Freeman and... other guy, but when they go nowhere beyond sitting around a prison, well, I get bored. You wanna talk about dragging, Shawshank just drags and drags until it reaches a conclusion it could have reached in twenty minutes instead of the two hours it takes. A thoroughly unsatisfying conclusion because absolutely nothing has held ones interest during the build-up.