What's new

"Now Showing"

peep

CF Legend
I now hate you mrclam. You saw the film I desperatly want to see :( I have been waiting for this film to come out for ages and then found out the other day that we don't get it in the UK till June! That sucks big time.

Glad you enjoyed TMNT even with the bad points. Hmm should be interesting.

Mr Bean's Holiday I wouldn't touch with a bargepole it doesn't appeal to me one bit, I hate really immature comedy like that and Norbit, its a pathetic excuse for a film.

So, I've just watched Philidelphia which was so depressing to the point of tears and bawling my head off. However, it was a really good movie with a nice storyline, for sure. But, watching the main character deteriorate right before your eyes throughout the course of the film is heartbreaking, and the way people act because they find out someone is gay and has a disease. Horrible, really.

Something all of you should watch. Definately worth my two hours.

8/10

Well, today I was suppose to go and see Grindhouse with my dad which has really good reviews, but since my stepmom came as well, we held off the major gore and went to see The Reaping instead.

For this movie, I wouldn't listen to what IMDB says. It's definately not the greatest, and it's not really human killers which is what I like in a horror film, but it wasn't too bad, actually. I won't give the whole plot away, but it had to do with things happening that happened in the Bible, and I think they pulled it off fairly well.

6.5/10

Can't wait to see Grindhouse though!

PLCP

Mega Poster
I went and saw Blades of Glory today.

It was hilarious, with a pretty good storyline. I also like how they just randomly stuck so many stupid little things in. For instance, Will Ferrell and Jon Heder are practicing, and randomly Jon's foot slips and his skate goes right into Will's balls. Then, it reverses.

Overall, 9/10.

I finished watching Twister today, and to be honest I don't even see what's the big deal about it. Why they made an attraction out of it at Universal Studios, and why they bothered to theme a pinball game at my local cinema is beyond me! I mean, come on, the movie is constantly just chasing a tornado, getting scared, being safe, about 10 times over. Not to mention terribly unrealistic.

4/10

Leighton

Mega Poster
Not long since I came back from seeing Mr Beans Holiday, It has got to be the least funny film I have ever seen!
Missing the train was funny the first time, even though it was highly predictable. It did have roughly the same effect the second time he missed the train, But it wasn't funny the 3rd, 4th, 5th or 10th time.

Some parts are so not funny, but you laugh just out of pity.
The same applies to the use of 'gracias', which Bean thinks is the french translation of hello, not funny the 3rd time, let alone the 20th.
Some particularly bad acting from Willem Dafoe, where he plays a movie director, who also stars in his own, poorly written films!

The first 5 minutes are funny, but the rest of the film is tiring with the use of the same material.

3/10

peep

CF Legend
^Good, sounds like someone actually watched the film!

Today for my birthday I saw Meet the Robinsons in 3D!

OMG what a classic. Everything about this film, including the very rare screening of the first 3D Disney short made in 1953 and the new Dinsey pictures logo in 3D. The animation was beautiful on this film and the story was origional and keeps you engaged with the film throughout. Its really hard to find a Disney film with a decent plot, let alone an origional one but this is just superb. Its actually all been created off a qoute from Walt Disney which I am told by Patrick (mission2) is also the same qoute they based the park area Tomorrowland (think thats the right area) on? The music in the film is fab too, probably because it was composed by the legend that is Danny Elfman.

I'm not too sure if watching the film in 3D made a difference to the film itself but it made it so much cooler. Anyways I really do recommend seeing this film. Its for all ages to enjoy so don't worry, its not just for kids.

Rating: 4/5

Slayed

Hyper Poster
^Well watching Polar Express in 3D IMAX certainly made that film more enjoyable!

Saw Sunshine earlier, it pretty much blew me away. Awesome imagery and sound, intelligent narrative, great effects, lots of tension, and a stunning soundtrack that I'll be buying as soon as I can get my hands on it.

The quality of the production is excellent, and large parts of it are just hugely immersive, which I think is what the film is trying to achieve, rather than just your typical action beats. It owes debts to Alien and Solaris and Event Horizon (blech), but still manages to be different.

You have to take on board the initial premise (plant a bomb in the Sun), but once you're past that the science is pretty good (still can't avoid making sounds in a vacuum though :wink:).

Annoyingly the plot takes a dodgy turn about 3/4 in, which is unnecessary and undermines the resolution, but it's an ambitious film that pulls off nearly everything else. And it's British. Well impressed.

c&r

Mega Poster
Slayed, have you ever seen Requiem For a Dream? I couldn't help but notice (well, George pointed it out) how the trailers for sunshine used part of the score for Requiem, and I was just wondering if it's used in the actual movie?

Really powerful stuff that.

Tony

Hyper Poster
Watched 300 last night and it must be one of the most over rated films I have ever seen. I usually love these type of films but I thought 300 was really ****. I just did'nt like it one bit and loads of people are saying it's the best film ever. 3/10.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
c&r said:
Slayed, have you ever seen Requiem For a Dream? I couldn't help but notice (well, George pointed it out) how the trailers for sunshine used part of the score for Requiem, and I was just wondering if it's used in the actual movie?
Yeah, that theme from RfaD is used all over the place - it was on the Two Towers trailer as well. It's by Clint Mansell and the Kronos Quartet, and it's stunning. (The film is stunning too, although *very* dark).

No it's not actually used in Sunshine, that soundtrack is by John Murphy and Underworld, and it's fantastic- and not available to buy yet! I WANT IT NOW!!! :(

Although apparently the editor of Sunshine was playing the RfaD music whilst editing, amongst other stuff.

Today I went to my dad's place and we watched Turistas. I was expecting a lot of blood and gore out of this movie, since the trailers kept saying that it was too scary to put in theatres. But no, I think the overall stupidity of the movie was much scarier than the amount of blood.

Okay, it started off alright. A good looking cast, a fit English guy, and then about 1 hour and 10 minutes it actually gets to the bits which are meant to be scary, which they weren't at all. Wow, one girl gets her stomach torn open and you can see her insides. That's literally it.

3.5/10

No wonder it barely got over a 3 on IMDB.

I spontaneously decided to watch Blue Crush last night. Not my type of movie though, but I have to say it was fairly decent. It was a love story and of course things did turn out fairly good for the main character, but it was just a bit better than your typical romance movie.

7/10

peep

CF Legend
On Monday I went on a school trip to see some rubbish my school produced, unfortunatly for me I missed the meet-up by 30 mins causing me to roam around London by myself for the day. So what should one do in such a situation? Go see a film of course! So what film did I see? Well I obviously went to see the new Boyle film, Sunshine.

Now I wasn't too sure what to expect from this film because I hadn't read many reviews (Total Film and Slayed's). I had only watched the trailer once too so wasn't 100% clear on what the story was. But I did sit in the cinema absolutely gobsmacked at how amazing it was. Now I've heard it was on a small budget and I don't understand that at all, everything looked spectacular and very expensive (even the CGI). I think that Danny Boyle has pulled this film off extremly well, I think maybe a bit more explanation on the bad guy twist near the end was needed but meh, overall it was an amazing film. This is the modern 2001: A space odyessy. Maybe thats a bit of an exageration but thats how I felt after watching it.

The performances from all the actors were amazing too. Cillian Murphey once again shines and gives a stunning performance as I suppose the "hero" of the film. All the other actors were great too and I think the overall casting was chosen well.

Its great to get amazing British films like this, it just makes such an impact on the audience. Just a shame it doesn't reflect in the box office.

Rating: 4.5/5

Stone Cold

Mega Poster
I saw Blades of Glory recently, and it's one of those films that is OK whilst you are watching it, but tend to be fairly forgettable afterwards. The skating sequences were generally quite funny, and a few of the jokes were great, but too much of the story was predictable, and none of the supporting characters were developed at all.

If I was being generous, I'd say it was pretty good...

But I'm not, so I'll finish that sentence with a ... for a Will Ferrell film.

Stone Cold

Mega Poster
I saw Blades of Glory recently, and it's one of those films that is OK whilst you are watching it, but tend to be fairly forgettable afterwards. The skating sequences were generally quite funny, and a few of the jokes were great, but too much of the story was predictable, and none of the supporting characters were developed at all.

If I was being generous, I'd say it was pretty good...

But I'm not, so I'll finish that sentence with a ... for a Will Ferrell film.

I take it that it was one of those Dodgeball kind of movies where the characters aren't the greatest, there are a few good things here and there but you know what's going to happen?

Just guessing here, did they enter a skating competition and then win or something? And I know for sure everything probably worked out well for the main characters in the end.