What's new

"Now Showing"

Dave

CF Legend
c&r said:
Anyhow while I'm in here I watched PotC2 a few nights back in preperation for seeing the third installment this weekend.

I don't know whether people think PotC are good because they only remember the fighting or something, but this dragged like hell in places, and I felt a bored for a fair bit of it.

I think it deserves a solid 5/10 though.

I agree, the second was magically rushed and lacked pace to it. So it dragged and is such a bore. Also its really predictable and horrid performance from Orlando Bloom.

Ben

CF Legend
I... got Black Christmas today, and watched it.

It was good, I guess, but I got all confused with the gore. It was really horrible up until about half way through, with the cookies and the gouging and eating etc. But, then, it just seemed if they got bored of gore, and it all went off-screen, and I got all disappointed at the loss of the gore. It was only raised above standard slasher by having THE best cast ever, Mrs Lewton, the girl from FD3, the whore from FD3, Buffy's sister, Gretchen Weiner, I was like <3.

Eh, average slasher with the gore the wrong way round.

Richie

Hyper Poster
Ben said:
I... got Black Christmas today, and watched it.

It was good, I guess, but I got all confused with the gore. It was really horrible up until about half way through, with the cookies and the gouging and eating etc. But, then, it just seemed if they got bored of gore, and it all went off-screen, and I got all disappointed at the loss of the gore. It was only raised above standard slasher by having THE best cast ever, Mrs Lewton, the girl from FD3, the whore from FD3, Buffy's sister, Gretchen Weiner, I was like <3.

Eh, average slasher with the gore the wrong way round.
Black Christmas! That's one of my favourite films of all time :p
It had such a christmas atmosphere to it when it came out in the cinemas.

I went to see Pirates of the Caribbean 3 today. It was alright and above average but nothing amazing.
One bit in it ruined the entire film. Highlight for the spoiler: The wedding between Elizabeth Swann and Will Turner. I mean WTF was that about?! THE most random and crappy thing I've ever seen happen in a film.
Other than that it was alright. I'd say 6/10.

Tony

Hyper Poster
I just got back from "Pirates of the Caribbean 3" and was disapointed. It was still alright but not great, better than Spiderman 3 anyways. The story is way to complicated and I did'nt have a clue of who was with who and what was going on half of the time.

I thought it was the worse one out of the 3. There were some funny bits but some really stupid bits which were just boring like when Jack was dead and there were like 100 of them. The film was also to long.

Overall I would give it a 7/10.

c&r

Mega Poster
MULHOLLAND DRIVE PWNS YOUR ****.

WATCH IT NOW.

Having said that, it wasn't utterly mind blowing.

It can have a solid 8.

The story is way to complicated and I did'nt have a clue of who was with who and what was going on half of the time.

I've always felt that was about number two as well for some reason. It wasn't as confusing when I watched it for the second time yesterday, but the first time I was lost.

I watched Pan's Labyrinth, which was actually a really weird movie. From the commercials and everything, it looked like it was going to be a fairy tale that takes place as the war is going on. Well, it's kind of like that, except it's much more violent and gory than I expected and even some parts had cringe worthy moments, and I don't easily cringe during violent parts or parts involving death. Some of the characters, such as the Pale Man were quite creepy looking, and the movie as a whole was very dark. The end was actually very surprising, but I won't tell you what it was in case you want to watch it.

So, even though it wasn't at all what I expected, it deserves at least an 8/10.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/twhalliii/panslabyrinth2.jpg

He's scary.

Oh yeah, and reading captions throughout the whole film wasn't nearly as annoying as I thought it would be.

c&r

Mega Poster
You've never seen a subtitled movie before? Wow.

Anyhow, got back from the cinema just now, so obviously I must provide my extremely appreciated and respected opinion.

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

Well, I expected nothing, and that was exactly what I got. The action scenes were ok - until they were repeated. This seems to be a recurring theme in PotC: towards the end, they all seem to start repeating themselves. Also, at least an hour of it could have been cut easily, probably more.

4/10: just below standard.

It is also worth noting that somehow it has 7.8/10 on imdb. Obviously people are retarded nowadays.

Bridge to Terabithia

We wanted to screenhop into something (well actually, the only reason we went to the cinema was to screenhop into 28 weeks later afterwards, but you can't see what screen you're getting tickets for when you actually buy them, so we couldn't hop into 28 weeks), and ended up going into this as there as a lack of anything else.

It was pretty good, I thought the first hour or so was quite bull****ty and really typical kid's movie kind of stuff, not very compelling, blah blah blah, but when the plot changes a fair bit (people who have seen it will know when I'm talking about), it became quite compelling and watchable.

6/10.

You've never seen a subtitled movie before? Wow.

I have, actually. Black Robe. However, I thought it'd be kind of annoying to read the captions in this for some reason, probably due to actually wanting to watch what was going on rather than reading words. Didn't bother me at all though, as they gave you a lot of time to read each thing.

c&r

Mega Poster
You've only seen one movie with subtitles? What, do you prefer movies which are badly dubbed then?

Nothing pisses me off more than a dubbed movie. It doesn't even need to be done badly, it still pisses me off.

peep

CF Legend
Subtitles are ok and are far better than dubbing. If you can't read subtitles then tough, live with it because dubbing is the worst thing that entered the world of film, it completly ruins a film. For example, I saw Kung Fu Hustle with dubbing and it really effected the film, the natural language of a film with subtitles is far better. Just overall the feeling of the film is wholewith subtitles, dubbing just makes actors look stupid and badly lip-synching.

c& r, I can't believe you gave Bridge to Terabithia a better rating/review than Pirates 3, did you watch the same film as everyone else? At least in Pirates the actors can act and get what you go for. I found BTT really dissapointing and I think the trailers for the film completly missed the point of the film and only showed parts that people want to see, the CGI scenes, which there is a huge lack of.

c&r

Mega Poster
I didn't watch the trailers and went into the film not knowing anything about it beyond that it was showing in 10 minutes.

Perhaps this has given it a more positive light for me? It sounds to me like you're a bit disgruntled because it wasn't what you expected from the trailers - that being another ****ey CGI fest, which almost every film is nowadays.

I thought the acting was fine in BTT. I certainly never thought "wow, that's some bad acting" at any point.

That came across as a bit of a personal attack actually, which it really wasn't, sorry =p.

You've only seen one movie with subtitles? What, do you prefer movies which are badly dubbed then?

Yeah, Black Robe and Pan's Labyrinth are the only movies I've watched which had subtitles all the way though. I've watched some movies with only partial subtitles but I can't remember which they were.

I don't mind subtitles though. Perhaps then only reason I was worried was because when we watched Black Robe I was younger, couldn't read very fast and missed a lot of the things they said.

Pirates are simply too long, drag on, and are a bit on the confusing side during some parts. Havn't seen 3 yet, but I will this coming week, and I'm assuming it'll be quite like the other ones in terms of the plot being confusing, and the movie being really long.

I don't mind if a movie is long and it's superb, but when it's long and I'm not keen on it, then it's horrible.

Richie

Hyper Poster
I watched Signs for the first time last night on TV.

It was so scary at the start :(

The crop bit where the main guy first saw the alien's leg was horrible. Also the bit on the news where the first alien was seen walking past the window outside the children's house made me **** a brick, haha.

It was a very good film apart from the ending. The alien holding the little boy was SO fake. It made me laugh quite a bit because of how stupid it looked. Other than that I really enjoyed the film.

7/10

Jake

Strata Poster
Richie said:
the bit on the news where the first alien was seen walking past the window outside the children's house made me **** a brick, haha.

LOL!

I remember seeing Signs at the cinema when it came out. That bit got EVERYONE in the screen.

Finally got to watch Borat last night, and after all the hype about it, I was expecting it to be quite funny. Well, quite funny is exactly what I got. There were a lot of moments where I burst out laughing and almost peed my pants, which says a lot because movies don't usually make me laugh, aside from maybe Jackass.

So, thought the storyline isn't the greatest it gets a 7.8/10.

peep

CF Legend
I went to see 28 weeks later last night due to an offer with the DVD of the brilliant 28 Days later.

This film I surprisingly hadn't read reviews on before watching, don't know how, very odd for me. I was quite interested on how they would create the sequel seeing as the first film was excellent.

I was expecting Robert Carysle (sp?) to be absolutely amazing as he usually is but I found that his character was a bit cripe, probably more down to the actual story and script rather than his acting, but it was still disapointing.

It was obvious they ran out of ideas for the plot about 15 minutes in because it just got boring and silly. The whole film seems to be a way for the film makers to show off their awesome air shots of London empty. Its a shame this film is so badly made, I even thought the direction was poor, they should've been patient and waited until Boyle finished Sunshine.

Oh well, glad I saw it to know not to get the DVD later on lol.

2/5