What's new

"Now Showing"

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ollie said:
I wasn't that impressed by Blade Runner. We had to watch it then write it (like we were writing a book of the film) for about the first two scenes when I was in school.

That would depress me and I'd just write Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep instead :p

I lost my copy of that book.

(Ready for the quote to go in the sigs?)

I do love Dick! (Phillip K)

Ben, I think it probably is generational, but the scene with Rachel and the owl is lovely :)

Also the finalé is superb and sad - but the whole dove thing is a bit clichéd. At least they took the crap ending out in the director's cut.

Lain

Giga Poster
Blade Runner is amazing. Also, there was a really excellent Blade Runner gag at the end of the first installment of that new Monkey Island game.

Fun.

Ollie

CF Legend
Borat:
I was expecting it to be more funny than it was. It had some great scenes that made me smile or give a little laugh but nothing in it was 'laugh out loud' hilarious. I liked the idea though. It was original and you've got to give it to him that he has guts to do some of those scenes.
So overall it's a good watch. Would probably be better if you watched it in a cinema or with a group of friends but I just didn't find it as funny as I hoped it would be.
6.7/10

peep

CF Legend
^Lol, I suppose that is one way of describing it :p

Just got back from seeing the new British film, Moon at the cinema.

It's a great film. You're never too sure what is going to happen next in the film, it's full of surprises and probably one of the most original films I'll see this year. Sam Rockwell is amazing and is probably one of the greatest actors out there at the moment. Kevin Spacey as the robot was also awesome :p

For peeps who don't know anything about this film, it's about a guy that works in a massive base on the moon collecting energy from the Sun to send back to Earth. The guy has to work there for 3 years and only has two weeks left so he is really looking forward to going home to see his wife and child. He then starts to see things that aren't normal and things really start to get interesting.

So yeah, if you get a chance to go see it, do so, much better than the latest Potter film :p

Rating: 4.8/5

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
Because I had nothing to do yesterday, I watched Ghostbusters 1 & 2.

I had never seen the 2nd, but the first was just another fun classic movie. Not the greatest out there, but it's definitely re-watchable and amusing. The 2nd one was actually not terrible, although it was a little rediculous in a lot of places... well, more rediculous then usual.

nealbie

CF Legend
Right then Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince:-

I really wasn't expecting anything amazing with this one after reviews that had been written both on here and in the outside world. The film didn't disappoint.

As previously stated it was very loosely based on the book. Turning to a potential saving grace, before the film started I decided to judge it as a stand alone film. This also provided me with nothing, the film is dire. The acting however, amazing!

Michael Gambon in my eyes deserves at the very least a nomination for the Best Actor in a Supporting Role Oscar, as of yet (future films pending) he should win it! Come the end, there wasn't a dry eye in the house as his death was performed magnificently; immediately placing itself amongst the top movie deaths along with Mufasa, Harry Stamper and John Coffey. This however remains my only extension of congratulations towards the movie.

As always Alan Rickman provided excellent craft in his work. His character's role in the film however, has been severely played down from his role in the book. With Snape still regarded the villian with absolutely no sympathy towards him.

Radcliffe impressed me, as did Grint and Watson; they are coming along swimmingly, their acting really starting to shine through now. Tom Felton however disappointed drastically. Poor acting on his part really did almost ruin the climactic scene!

So to summarise, there were brilliant moments, I cried as Dumbledore fell to his death and as the wandlit vigil that followed was played out on screen. There was also some great acting performances, Maggie Smith wasn't at her best though; but major detractors was the overall poorness that this series has become. Definitely the worst instalment so far, shame really, there was promise.

Lain

Giga Poster
Neal said:
As previously stated it was very loosely based on the book. Turning to a potential saving grace, before the film started I decided to judge it as a stand alone film.

You should be doing that anyway! A film is a film and a book is a book. You can't make a comment about the film purely because it isn't like the book.

nealbie

CF Legend
And I did. This was also pants as I've said :lol:

I think you'll find I did both, which is much better than just doing one or the other. The film failed both times.

Did you actually read what I put? :p

peep

CF Legend
Massive facepalm for Neal. Lain was pointing out that you should always do that when watching a film and not only because someone told you this Potter film wasn't like the book. Also you posted massive spoilers in your review, getting as bad as Ollie :p

Watched Disney's Mulan on DVD earlier.

I think this is the first time I've watched the film the whole way through since seeing it at the cinema years ago. I really enjoyed it, the story flows and it never takes its time to move on. The animation is also really great (then again it is a Disney film :p).

Rating: 4/5

Lain

Giga Poster
Neal said:
Did you actually read what I put? :p

Did you read what I put?

You implied that not comparing the film to the book was something you wouldn't usually do.

I said that you should always be judging a film on its own merits, and not just because someone told you it would be crap if you didn't.

Despite it obviously being commonplace, comparing a film to the book on which it was based, in terms of content, is completely arbitrary and irrelevant.

Or just read what peep said. :p

Error

Strata Poster
Went at saw Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince at the 12:10am showing.

It suffered from what I'd like to call "fitting syndrome". They take a good 6-700 page book and try to trim it to a decently sized movie. And even so, it's still long, but still fits a good bunch in.

One thing I liked about this series in general, is that it has evolved from the original movie, into something more darker. The themes of the movies go from corny to...more adult situations, but does it in steps as not to push it on people.

The movie seemed to jump around a little bit, but I guess it does need to, just to cram everything in. This portion is more talky then anything, building up for the final movie(s). However, there's the share of cool magic and drama (PEOPLE DIE) and such. I can't really say much else, since I watched it so early in the morning. *yawn*

8 or 9/10

nealbie

CF Legend
What I stated in my review was that I had been told it was crap as a remake of the book. Something which I then agreed to after seeing it, therefore turning to a potential saving grace (which would naturally be the next step, d'uh) of the film being good on it's own. Again I said this was not the case. So you have both got the wrong end of the proverbial stick.

Plus Peep, I think putting in bold what the title of the film was, in a review topic no less, people would have the good sense not to read on if they didn't want to come across stuff they didn't want to know. It's not as if I hid the spoilers and make them jump out at people :lol:

Ollie

CF Legend
Had an epic film night. Stayed up all night. We watched...

Inbetweeners (series 1&2) - Brilliantly funny
Yes Man - Alright. Not that funny but a fun watch.
Lesbian Vampire Killers - Good. No Shawn of the Dead (was expected) but we didn't take it seriously anyway.
Defiance - Not my type of film. We were talking most the way through it so it shows how well it kept our attention. It's a really long film as well.
War of the Worlds - Still really good. Just love the mass panic scenes
Silent Hill - Not as good as I remembered it was, but still a good watch if you can relate to the games as well.
Rec - Still one of my favourite horror films ever. Really needs to be watched in the right mood when everyone is paying attention and feeling creeped out rather than while everyone is talking.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Lesbian Vampire Killers was really terrible Ollie :p .

I think Horne & Corden are a smartprice version of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost.

peep

CF Legend
Neal said:
Plus Peep, I think putting in bold what the title of the film was, in a review topic no less, people would have the good sense not to read on if they didn't want to come across stuff they didn't want to know. It's not as if I hid the spoilers and make them jump out at people :lol:

So if I wanted to read someone's review to see if the film is worth seeing at the cinema or renting on DVD/whatever I have to succumb to the fact that there will be major spoilers in the review? Don't be silly Neal. It's not hard to use spoiler tags.

It's not like magazine reviews contain major plot details. :p

Ollie

CF Legend
Lain said:
Ollie said:
Lesbian Vampire Killers - Good.
This is why you shouldn't be allowed to review films. :p
Yes but it was enjoyable. We were all sitting there laughing at really silly bits. Yes it was a dumb and stupid film but we just found it funny as we knew it was going to be bad from the start.