What's new

"Now Showing"

Ben

CF Legend
^You were DISAPPOINTED with one of the greatest movie endings ever...?

It honestly just sounds to me like you didn't understand it. It's really one of the most brilliant movies ever. If you think Memento is twisted though, NEVER watch a Lynch film!

I love that film, it's so brilliant.

I've been watching loads lately. Uh, some of them...

Psycho - I'd never seen it! Loved it though. Dated in that it doesn't "shock" now? Sure. But, I had no idea about a lot of it, despite it being so well-known, so, I really liked it! 9/10

Annie Hall - Hilarious. But, only through dialogue. Not stupid, not absurd, just, hilarious. 9/10

Hellboy II - Quite good, I prefer the first one. This was TOO much like Pan's Labyrinth for me. 7/10

Australia - LLLOOONNNGGG. I think they should have JUST made the film about droving the cattle, and played up on that. Plus, it was not at all Luhrmann-y enough for me. Where was his style? We saw it for about five minutes at the start, then it disappeared. 7/10

Blade Runner - WHY is this so famous...? I just thought it was dull. 5/10

The Princess Bride - Aw, how adorable and cute. Not that great, but, good. 8/10

I've kind of lost track of what else I've watched... there isn't a lot to do in the summer round here you see :p

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:
^You were DISAPPOINTED with one of the greatest movie endings ever...?

It honestly just sounds to me like you didn't understand it. It's really one of the most brilliant movies ever. If you think Memento is twisted though, NEVER watch a Lynch film!

I love that film, it's so brilliant.

Win

Ben said:
Psycho - I'd never seen it! Loved it though. Dated in that it doesn't "shock" now? Sure. But, I had no idea about a lot of it, despite it being so well-known, so, I really liked it! 9/10

Win

Ben said:
Hellboy II - Quite good, I prefer the first one. This was TOO much like Pan's Labyrinth for me. 7/10

Win

Ben said:

Fail

Ben said:
The Princess Bride - Aw, how adorable and cute. Not that great, but, good. 8/10

Win!

Not bad Ben, not bad at all ;) :p

Ben

CF Legend
furie said:
Ben said:

Fail

Haha, I just don't get at ALL why it's so famous...? I'm probably a bit late to the party, as it were, which might not help, but, what is it that everyone likes...? OK, it's bleak. Uh. That's it. Poor story, carried along by nothing happening. Boo. So dull.

nealbie

CF Legend
Australia - This is the sort of film I love! A film that actually finishes and doesn't leave anything to be desired, completely eradicating any chance of a sequel!

Very unique basic plot, extended to make it a rather intriguing and immersive film. The aborigine contrast to the "Australians" also made for interesting viewing.

Despite it being ridiculously long however, I at no point had to check the dvd box to see how long I had left. It could have ended in 3 different places, but as I've previously mentioned my dislike for it, I'm glad it didn't because it would have left far too many questions.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
I fully understood Memento, I just wanted Leonard to have more involvement with Teddy and Natalie, they were 2 sinister characters who never hit their full potential. Although, I did love the scene where Natalie became a bitch.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:
Haha, I just don't get at ALL why it's so famous...? I'm probably a bit late to the party, as it were, which might not help, but, what is it that everyone likes...? OK, it's bleak. Uh. That's it. Poor story, carried along by nothing happening. Boo. So dull.

Like Alien, it's a ground breaking, and wonderful piece of film making.

It's a gorgeous film just to sit and watch. The music by Vangelis is lovely (if a bit 80's now - aged badly :lol: ) and the story is fantastic.

I don't know which is the best "cut" to watch personally. I like the original, but the story is changed so that the subtle under story can't really be seen. I don't know if it makes it better or not?

I've not seen the "ultimate director's edition" or whatever it is.

I thought that you'd probably like it Ben, as you are one of the few "me generation" that understands about delayed gratification from a film - you don't need to be bombarded with action all the time to stop your attention from failing. You have to actually watch films to like Lynch FFS :)

Then again, I do wonder how much it was a generational film. The only people I know who love it are those around my age group (probably 30+ nowadays). Sadly, I can't go back in time to when I was 13 and first saw the film :)

Ollie

CF Legend
I wasn't that impressed by Blade Runner. We had to watch it then write it (like we were writing a book of the film) for about the first two scenes when I was in school. It was shot really well though but the film just didn't interest me.

Anyway...
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix:
Having not been too keen on the film upon first viewing I decided to give it another chance.
I enjoyed it much more this time round. I think it was due to the first time I had just finished re-reading the 5th book and was disappointed that they cut almost half the book out and didn't find it lived up the expectations I was hoping for. This time I got to enjoy the film more for what it was on it's own which is really good.
So the first viewing I gave it a 6/10 but now after watching it again I can safely put it up to an...
8/10

I'm not sure if I can put the films in order of favourites. They're all so different from each other and everything's always developing. I still like the third one alot though as that's when the films started to get really dark. But I also like the first one for how magical it was when I first saw it. And the others are still good. So right now I don't think I can put the films in order from best to worst as easily as I could with only seeing each one once.
*And I don't know why I just added that random bit on at the end*

Ben

CF Legend
furie said:
Ben said:
I thought that you'd probably like it Ben, as you are one of the few "me generation" that understands about delayed gratification from a film - you don't need to be bombarded with action all the time to stop your attention from failing. You have to actually watch films to like Lynch FFS :)

Then again, I do wonder how much it was a generational film. The only people I know who love it are those around my age group (probably 30+ nowadays). Sadly, I can't go back in time to when I was 13 and first saw the film :)

Awww, that's quite sweet of you Phil, thanks :p

I do think it is most likely a generation thing. I mean, I "got" that it's impressive for the time, and very influential, but, from a modern perspective, I just didn't like it as a film which had stood the test of time. I think this is where I'd draw the line between it and Alien - Alien is STILL a great film, even by today's standards (IMO). It STILL draws me in, scares me, intrigues me, and I love it. I felt Blade Runner was impressive and ground-breaking, sure. But, dull by all other measures.

Ollie

CF Legend
Ben said:
Alien is STILL a great film, even by today's standards (IMO). It STILL draws me in, scares me, intrigues me, and I love it.
What's this? Say the opposite of what a film is day? :p

kimahri

CF Legend
Ollie said:
Anyway...
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix:
Having not been too keen on the film upon first viewing I decided to give it another chance.
I enjoyed it much more this time round. I think it was due to the first time I had just finished re-reading the 5th book and was disappointed that they cut almost half the book out and didn't find it lived up the expectations I was hoping for. This time I got to enjoy the film more for what it was on it's own which is really good.
So the first viewing I gave it a 6/10 but now after watching it again I can safely put it up to an...
8/10

Ollie, your way of rating things is really crap.

You call it utter trash then you rate it 6/10. I think you've done it with some other movies as well.