What's new

"Now Showing"

Ben

CF Legend
I hate Jack Black, don't think you can ever realistically call my movie tastes "dumbed down", and still enjoyed it.

OH, you theory failed. See your head? Remove from arse and proceed.

ANYWAY, I watched a bit more Lynch recently (cause I'm "dumb")...

Blue Velvet - GREAT film, very Lynchian, with an awesome blend of odd whilst keeping a storyline you can follow. Obviously, with a superb performance by Dennis Hopper as the "baddie" and great use of songs entirely out of their context to give them a whole new meaning. It's on ITV1 in an hour or two, watch it xD 9/10

Eraserhead - His first film, and probably his most WTF? until Inland Empire. Apparently no-one has ever figured it out according to Lynch, so I'm not even going to try. A nightmarish metaphor for fatherhood and birth, it's odd, disturbing and <3 8/10

Dune - Think what Planet of the Apes is to Burton, to Lynch. So bad. Just, don't bother. IT gets points only because it's strongly referenced in Beetlejuice and has Patrick Stewart 3/10

I'm mentally preparing myself to watch Lost Highway soon enough, which will be my last Lynch film to watch. Makes me sad :'(

In other news, I gave The Shining another chance. I saw it years ago, and hated it. Kubrick is SO bad, and it deviates from everything that makes the book great. I thought the same this time, but ever so slightly less. It's still a VERY age film, and Jack Nicholson plays it ALL wrong. 5/10

As Good As It Gets - The ONLY thing I dislike about this film is the, like, 25 years gap between the romantic leads creeps me out in a LARGE way :S 8/10. It's a CRIME Greg Kinnear went Oscar-less whilst Helen H(C)unt won one ¬¬

Fargo

Very good film.. I never watched it all the way through before, but today I did, and it really shows how things can get totally out of hand. Also shows what people will do for money.

8.5/10

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Terminator Slavation.

Fantastic film. Full on action all the way through. Though I feel the story on the time travel side, makes no sence at all.

8/10.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Terminator Salvation review

After 25 years of waiting for the war James Cameron tantalisingly shown us glimpses of in T1, we are finaly given TS, the first film in the series set after Judgement Day.

For those of you unfamiliar with the plot or confused by it all, here is a recap of what has happened so far. In 1984, a machine from the future travels back in time to kill Sarah Connor, who's unborn child will lead the human resistance against the machines in the war, but her future child, John, sends back a young soldier called Kyle Reese, to save her. In the proccess the pair fall in love and have sex, which is where it gets realy confusing, because Kyle gets Sarah pregnant with John, so Jonh'd dad is actualy younger than him. Eventualy the pair kill the Terminator but Reese is killed in the process. As a waning of things to come, the location is revealed to be the factory of Cyberdine Systems, who we are told will start the war with humanity. The Terminator is completely destroyed and taken by the police, apart from a damaged CPU and a forearm, which is secretly taken by Cyberdine.

Fastforward to 1992, and Sarah is in the nut house and John in foster care. Cyberdine send back an even more powerfull terminator, which can change shape and is made of liquid metal. Again, Future Connor sends back a savior, this time in the form of the same model Terminator that originaly tried to kill his mother. Young Connor and Good Terminator save Sarah and eventualy kill the Bad Terminator, but Good Terminator is damaged and, in the saddest part of any of the films, the two Connors have to lower him into a pool of molten metal to prevent anyone from getting hold of a Terminator again (during the film, Cyberdine and the man who would be responsible for the creation of Terminators, are destroyed). Judgement Day is stopped and so ends Cameron's involvement in the series, and the greatest blockbuster ever made, and ever likely to be made. But thats for another time as to why these two films are two of the best action blockbusters ever, lets just sum it up in two words: James Cameron.

Moving on to 2004, John is now an adult and living off the grid, when another Terminator is sent after him. This one has a metal skeleton again, but more importantly, this one is a female, and one of my favourite scenes in the series is when it sees an advertising boarding and makes it tits bigger! Anyway, another T-800 (the Arnie Terminator from 1 and 2) is sent back to pretect Connor and his wife Katherine 'Kate' Brewster. We find that Sarah has died of Leukemia, but faught long enough to make sure Judgement Day never happened when it was meant to, but the pressence of Terminators proves that it DID/DOES happen, and the future can only be delayed, not prevented. Also, Cyberdine has been bought by the USAF and is part of the Skynet Defence System, headed by no less than Kate's father. The trio race to stop him, but it is too late, the T-X, or as Connor puts it, the Terminatrix, beats them and so does Skynet. It is activated and becomes self aware. The first machines come online and kill Kate's father, who tells them to go to Crystal Peak. They believe that this is where Skynet can be destroyed. Meanwhile, T-X reprograms Arnie to kill Connor, and he shuts himself down to prevent it, only to come back online to kill the Terminatrix and save Connor and Brewster, now safe in Crystal Peak, which is revealed to be a fallout shelter for VIP's, not Skynet's system core. In the best part of the film, which is mostly pants, Judgement Day finally happens and John Connor takes command, setting things up nicely for TS.

TS is the fist film in the series not to be released in the year it is set, because the saga is now in the future, at long last. We begin with the opening credits, an updated version of the credita from T1, complete with the music from the first film, the first of many references to the old films. After the credits we are treated to a non-stop action thrill ride, which I won't go into in to much detail, lest I ruin it for you, but basicaly, the Resistance think they have a way to kill the Terminators, but it turns out to be a trick, a dead person is found alive and turns out to be half machine half human (I would keep that to myself, but the adverts gave that away long ago), Connor meets and rescues his father, and we see the creation of the T-800 101, or simply Arnie's Terminator.

The film is a sequel more than a prequel, and makes the time paradox thing more confusing. Judgement Day happened later than in the old future, but the T-800 is created earlier, due to the fight with Sarah in the first film, the irony is that by killing the Terminator, she allowed it to be created, and she, in trying to stop the war, helped start it. The film asks more questions than it answers, but is a very interesting and exciting film which sets things up nicely for T5, with Connor now in command and Kyle Reese safe.

It is not perfect, Bale, possibly the best actor of his generation, is wasted because all he does is shout and get angry, although that being said he is still fairly good. Star of the show goes to Sam Worthington, who plays cyborg Marcus Wright superbly and is the acting highlight of the film, even if everything he does is predictable (that he is a terminator, and what happens at the end).

Good point:
Gives us the war we have been waiting for
Stunning effects and visuals
Some decent performances
Aliens levels of action
It's a Terminator film
Still 'feels' like a Terminator film, alteast most of the time
Lots of references to original films
References handles well

Bad point:
Fairly predicatble
Not too easy for newcomers to understand
Bale is wasted
Does not feel like a Terminator film at times

Much better than the dire T3, but no match for T2. An entertaining and pulse pounding film with fantastic effects, stunning visuals (Skynet HQ especialy) and some interesting new machines. Very dark and lots of refernces to the original films, which are done very well and do not feel cheesy, in particular when Connor sas the infamous "I'll be back!", which so easily could have felt silly and cheesy, although Kyle Reece saying "Come with me if you want to live comes!" close to beeing cheesy.

More than worth the admision price, if you can handle the confusing plot. It may be confusing and challenging, but it's great, deffinately the best action movie plot ever, and TS expands on this and I can not wait for the next two films to end the amazing story now TS has set us up with the long awaited future war, and done it rather well.

Must see for Terminator fans, and action fans with a brain for the plot.
And anyone who wants to see Arnie bollock naked, which for a straight guy, is quite disturbing.

7.5/10

AeRo

Hyper Poster
Ben said:
It is not perfect, Bale, possibly the best actor of his generation

Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha.

No.

If cardboard is an acting skill
tehe.gif

Bale is one of the worst actors presently making films, he was virtually annonymous in both Batman films, being upstaged by almost everyone in the cast.

mrclam

Giga Poster
The curious case of Benjamin ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

half way thru.. at an hour and a half...

i'll save the rest for when i'm REALLY REALLY bored

mrclam

Giga Poster
finished watching it.. i want those 3 hours back!

what a load of boring, sentimental, ultimately depressing bollocks that was

i feel like going out drinking myself stupid after watching that

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Instead of scouring the internet trying to find a site that looks for plot mistakes in films, why not go out there and watch them, it will make a lot more sence if you see the film, and what that site misses is the fact each time the future changes, which is why those events can happen, and SCC is a spin off with a different plot altogether and by the producers own admision should be ignored in regard to T1, 2, 3 and S.
Also, the site has an irony defficiency, the whole thing about stopping the first Terminator creating the Terminator is deliberate and meant to be ironic, and that is not hard to work out.

Watch the films and work it out, it's simple if you have half a brain.

kimahri

CF Legend
I had movie madness recently.

First was Disney's Hercules

Awesome!

Then it was City of God (again this time on TV so I didn't miss a thing.)

Awesome!

Finally Disney's Tarzan

Awesome!

and there you go.

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
You have no idea how much I want to see that either. It's more illusive than Up. And Up's pretty illusive at the mo.

Trailer for the uninitiated:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIizh6nYnTU[/youtube]

Error

Strata Poster
Two new movies with fantastically short reviews:

Firstly: Up
First, I love Pixar. Even the crappy cars movie was nicely done, even if the story blew chunks. Up was great storytelling once more, this time, playing with emotions even more then WALL-E. The first 10 minutes was torn between amazingly happy, and godly depressing. After that, I had to stop, take a deep breathe, and keep going. That good, and in ten minutes!
The rest of the movie is telling about how an old man tries to get to South America for his old wife. It's hilarious, clever, and as always well done. However, I didn't like how short it was. Sure, it was a detailed animation, but there could of been some more put into it. For what it was worth, it was worth all off it.
Solid 9/10

Then this evening, I took myself and the brother to see Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian.
Well, it wasn't terrible. But, it wasn't great. Mind you, I never care for sequels. In fact, in my opinion, many of them rarely keep the same tone and quality of the first one. But, in this case, it still kept the quality. However, it left me with yet many more questions about how they covered this up. I mean, how would not notice an airplane in another building? And how much talking is too much?!
Overall, not bad. Not great, either.
6/10

mrclam

Giga Poster
Error said:
After that, I had to stop, take a deep breathe, and keep going. That good, and in ten minutes!

Erm.. how did you stop a cinema film?

unless you pirated it? in which case - you suck