What's new

"Now Showing"

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
No, because the poor writing at the end of T2 is what makes the poor further stories possible and is what makes T2 not such a good film :p

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Just come back from watching Terminator Salvation.

I have to admit, I thought the story line was a bit... well... weak. It wasn't quite as strong as the previous Terminators and it did get a bit sidetracked at the end. It was a bit too muddily. It wasn't that the idea wasn't good, I think the delivery just lacked the power that a Terminator film needs.

However, this movie really scores on the graphics. This film's special effects really are stunning. There are several moments that are just so impressive and huge. I think they really pulled off the special effects. I think it might have been the effects that caused the plot to look weak. When a film is a visually stunning as that, it must be hard to execute the perfect plot too.

I'm keeping this short I know, but I can't be bothered to be honest.

So, my overall thoughts. Yes, the plot was a little weak, and yes sometimes it was a bit overkill, but I'm a sucker for insane special effects and that's what sold this movie to me. I would go back to see it again on the big screen only because visually it was so good. If it had had a stronger plot then maybe it would've have been more of a success. But hey, I liked it!

8/10.

Ollie

CF Legend
Ghostbusters:

Finally got around to watching the whole film. Before I'd just seen bits of it when it's been on TV I think. Anyway, a good fun film. Lots of things to be quoted and just really well done. The special effects are still pretty good considering how old the film is now and the cast is great. Will hopefully get around to the sequel tomorrow.
8/10

peep

CF Legend
^Yay a film review which isn't Terminator related.

Actually, Furie, why was this topic un-stickied for topics on big films when all that's happened is everyone just posts in this topic about the big films? :roll:

Watched two films on DVD. First was Inside Man.

It's an ok film, I love movies which are clever. The main thing that I felt let it down was the way some of the scenes were directed (not a fan of Spike Lee). Clive Owen is great in this though, on the other hand Jodie Foster seems pointless, why is she in this film? I suppose it's an enjoyable film with a nice twist at the end.

Rating: 3/5

Next up was Lions for lambs

I'm not sure what it was but I just didn't enjoy this film at all. It's almost like it's trying too hard to tell a point. Cruise was good in this film because he really came across as a politician you might want to hit. Meh, I'm just feeling so unimpressed about this film but have no idea why.

Rating: 2/5

AeRo

Hyper Poster
^ Indeed. Has Brad Pitt ever been good in a film?

Valkyrie

I saw this at christmas on download and thought it was a decent movie. Faced with the choice of Benjamin Button or this, I made the easy choice at Tesco. The cast is like playing a game of who's who in cinema - Nighy, Stamp, Wilkinson, McNally, Branagh all add substance to the film which is about possibly the most famous plot to overthrow Hitler. Cruise puts in yet another decent performance as Cnl Von Stauffenberg, a 'mutilee' who gets a job close enough to Hitler to do the damage.

The picture quality is excellent and the story stands up to rewatching, and the sound is the amazing DTS - Master Audio.

A solid 8/10

mrclam

Giga Poster
AeRo said:
^ Indeed. Has Brad Pitt ever been good in a film?

I liked twelve monkeys..

and 7even was okay as well i guess .. not great - just a good ending. (If anyone hasnt seen it and wants to know how it ends - ask ollie)

Slayed

Hyper Poster
Benjamin Button has the power to cure insomnia - FACT! Deathly dull film.

Hixee on Terminator Savlon said:
This film's special effects really are stunning.
We clearly didn't see the same film then! :lol: I thought they ranged from good to distinctly wobbly - better than Wolverine's but nowhere near as good as Star Trek's or even Angels & Demon's.

I must confess, I'm only going to watch Transformers: Revenge of the Shyte to see the progress on the FX :p [/FX nerd].

Oh, and I've always reckoned that Kyle Reese initially wasn't actually John Connor's dad, it was just a fabrication to create a future leader - nature v nurture - then it just went into ever tightening time cycles ^_^.

AeRo

Hyper Poster
mrclam said:
I liked twelve monkeys..

and 7even was okay as well i guess .. not great - just a good ending. (If anyone hasnt seen it and wants to know how it ends - ask ollie)

I would say that Se7en was a good film, but that was down to Morgan :p When I think of Pitt, I think of Legends of the Fall and Troy ... I rest my case.

Ollie

CF Legend
mrclam said:
I haven't seen it. :p

I want to though.

marc

CF Legend
I liked the film as well, got it on dvd then a week later they bought out the one with a different ending!

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
He *was* good in 12 Monkeys, and I enjoyed his work in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (which I should review... lovely opening act, lovely acting, stunning music, story was perhaps too thin, but that might be because of the length of the film. It didn't crawl, but it certainly didn't walk... 7/10)

mrclam

Giga Poster
Slayed said:
I must confess, I'm only going to watch Transformers: Revenge of the Shyte to see the progress on the FX :p [/FX nerd].

Modern fx = motion blur.

Move the fake camera around really really fast, so as to make the audience feel sick, and then add blur onto it - thus hiding the fact that you could afford to do the scene properly and cover up any potential problems during a major action scene.

To hide this blatent cheat - ocassionally do a slow mo effects shot.. preferably one where there are some ladies breasts in the center point of the camera.

peep

CF Legend
Watched Wall.e on blu-ray earlier.

I still love this film, so beautiful to look at and the animation is superb. It's also entertaining and just an overall great film.

Rating: 5/5

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Back to the terminator thing, i think its a never ending loop. Connor has always existed to always send Reece back who has always existed to create John who has always existed to send Kyle back and so on, and the terminator has always good existed to go back to intent itself by being killed.
Also, John can still exist because if was concieved before the terminator was destroyed in Cyberdine's factory. (Skynet does not exist until T3 when the USAF buys Cyberdine.) The future can not be changed, so delaying judgement day in T2 stopped nothing, just changed dates and events, so Connor will always exist and the terminator will always fail its mission because fate says if will effect Cyberdine (or in the altered future, Skynet.)
By the way, this TS follows directly from T3, and ignores chronicles.
My point is, the terminator timeline is a flexible loop. Its share can be altered but will always be the loop. Interesting if Skynet know any me this or not. Make a good ending if Sarah Connor explide it all against a atmospheric and moody backdrop like the end of T3, only better, and hopefully it wont be as bad as 3, if that is even possible. But i hope the terminatrix returns. Only fair, i've had to see Arnie's bollocks twice now, surely time to even it out a bit isnt it?
Will expand on my ideas more some other time. This aint the time for these kinds of thoughts.