What's new

"Now Showing"

Ollie

CF Legend
Going away from Terminator. AGAIN!

Ghostbusters 2:

Enjoyed the first one so much I decided to watch the sequel as soon as I could. It was alright. It seemed more like a long TV show for most of the film though, and it wasn't until it got to the end bit in the museum that it started to feel like a classic film. Even then it's not as good as the first. It's still good fun to watch though and see the cast come back and seeing how their characters have developed in the 5 years they haven't been Ghostbustin'. Worth watching as it's a great comedy and doesn't take itself seriously which makes it more fun to watch.
7/10

mrclam

Giga Poster
guess so.. trying to decide whether toronto, montreal or australia next :lol:

(yes i know thats not what you meant)

Back to Terminator... Furie.. i have a way to make the plot of all the movies work... Bear with me.

Now lets just say in the future, they are aware that the events of T1 and T2 happened, and know they cant prevent it. Therefor kyle was sent back to the 80s and told to give some cock and bull story about the world ending in 94.. and arnie back in the next one, etc etc.

Everythin was pre-ordaned - everyone in the future knew what was going to happen - as it did happen.. and therefor nothing really changed.

or something (it works in my head.. probably best with diagrams :lol: )

mrclam

Giga Poster
Pokemaniac said:
I just watched parts of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy again. It's as confusing as always, at least as it differs from the book. I still like it, though.
\

My BIGGEST problem with watchmen was that it was EXACTLY the same as the book.. therefor it sucked as the director really didnt do anything at all (he just took existing shots from the book and turned them into reality).

Which is weird i should say that because (cue name dropping)I I drink with two people who werer in it!

The film wastne great.

to me as far as hitchhikerr is concerned : it's always:

Best : book
Lesser so : radio series
Even wose : tv series
Okayish for its time : Hitchikers game
Absolute ****e : move

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Blaze, re-read my posts. If you can't understand them, then give up - the plot doesn't work... Unless it's all lies like Clammy says :)

H2G2 was an okay film, but obviously suffered from the death of my favourite author, Douglas Adams. The reason it's confusing is because the makers tried to cram multiple threads from the entire book series into a single film. I don't know why, but I think it was to give the story an antagonist.

Hitch Hikers is a classic British tale of bumbling along. There are no antagonists or even a real protagonist, just one ape descendent with a whole heap of bad luck (but at least he knows where his towel is) being pushed along by his own complete social ineptitude (due to being British).

This is a very difficult concept to put across to the mass film market. People ("the people" - cheers marketing) like to have a baddy, and a reason for things to happen. It's actually the antithesis of Hitch Hikers, where the entire point is that **** happens, the best you can do is to try and not rock the boat. There's nobody out there to get you, other than "life" - as we find out at the end of 'So long and thanks for all the fish'
"Sorry for the inconvenience"

So, that's why the film fails, because Douglas Adams wasn't there through the entire process, keeping things "British". Though obviously, if he had been around, when shown the changes he'd have mumbled a disagreement into his Horlix and got very cross about it later!

Clammy, I think the radio series was the best. Though I listened to it on its initial release and loved it (I was very young. I re-read the book every few years - though I know it inside out and backwards now. The only one I don't know too well is "Life, the Universe and Everything" as my copy disappeared into a wormhole 27 years ago. I think it's due to reappear in Norway (I always loved Fjords, I think they give a country a really baroque kind of feel) in 2013.

Anyway, I liked the fact the film was different (apart from the major confusing changes) - the parts you can tell Douglas Adams wrote were good. It's just, erm, over all it fails.

mrclam

Giga Poster
mrclam said:
My BIGGEST problem with watchmen was that it was EXACTLY the same as the book.. therefor it sucked as the director really didnt do anything at all (he just took existing shots from the book and turned them into reality).

WOW!

I was so drunk that i dont remember typing this!

But yet i'm also strangely almost coherant in it!

WOW! I'm impressed at myself!

Blaze

Hyper Poster
mrclam said:
guess so.. trying to decide whether toronto, montreal or australia next :lol:

(yes i know thats not what you meant)

Back to Terminator... Furie.. i have a way to make the plot of all the movies work... Bear with me.

Now lets just say in the future, they are aware that the events of T1 and T2 happened, and know they cant prevent it. Therefor kyle was sent back to the 80s and told to give some cock and bull story about the world ending in 94.. and arnie back in the next one, etc etc.

Everythin was pre-ordaned - everyone in the future knew what was going to happen - as it did happen.. and therefor nothing really changed.

or something (it works in my head.. probably best with diagrams :lol: )

I kinda agree with you, and your kinda right, in TS, Skynet/Cyberdine know about Kyle Reese and have him as their most wanted, even more wanted than John himself, even though he has not been chosen to go back in time to save Sarah.

As I said, it is all a loop, and that is where the main paradox is, the loop can be altered but will always stay as a loop. Judgement Day will always happen, and mankind will always eventualy win the war, but by sending the Terminator back, this future was altered, and each film altered it some more, that is why in the new one Judgement Day is a decade late but the T-800 is made earlier. Each small change has a big impact on the future, known as the butterfly effect I believe, that is why there are no ray guns and slaves in TS, yet in T1 they have ray guns and Reese says Cyberdine keeps some humans alive for forced labour, while in TS these people are used in the T-800 program, unless they do become slaves later. The whole point of the films is to have no point, to not have sense. The reason the have such a good stoy is they have a rubbish story.

peep

CF Legend
Watched Miss Pettigrew lives for a day on DVD.

I really enjoyed this film, the sets were amazing, they did a really good job in re-creating a 1939 London. Frances McDormand and Amy Adams were both superb and I don't think any other actresses would have been able to pull it off so well. Loved it.

Rating: 4/5

AeRo

Hyper Poster
A few new Blurays

Silence of the Lambs

I guess the definative version of a great movie. The bluray transfer is decent, for a move which was never a fantastic picture - there are points where you can see Clarices' moustache :p It gets a DTS_HD Master soundtrack but, again it's nothing special, although it is much cleaner.

Movie 9/10
Picture 8/10
Sound 8/10

Edward Scissorhands
What's to say about the film other than a masterpiece. This allegedly is the 'extended edition' although I can't identify the additional 3 minutes :?
Picture is excellent and the sound is DTS-HD Master and really brings out Elfmans music well.

Movie 9/10
Picture 9/10
Sound 8/10

Behind Enemy Lines
A decent enough war movie, some good action and sound, but then planes are always good for sound. Owen Wilson is still a bit wooden as an actor, but Gene Hackman is simply commanding.

Movie 7/10
Picture 8/10
Sound 9/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Blaze, it's simple. If the past changes the future, then the future can not change the past, so the past can't change the future any more. If things don't happen like they're supposed to due to the interference of T2, then T1 cannot happen, and therefore T2 cannot happen and there fore (thank God!) T3 and TS cannot happen.

Please read my posts, then get your head around them. The slightest change now alters the future irrevocably. By pushing back judgement day, Reese will no longer be in a position to become John's father. John probably will not be in a position to fight Skynet. There will therefore be no need to send anyone back in time. You mention the butterfly effect, but you miss the point of how it will change the future easily to the point that the future which changed the past can't exist.

Well, it can, but it involves creating the most exceptionally huge botch of story and plot that only somebody with the slightest grasp of causality would think worked or was in any way, shape or form believable.

Enjoy the films, but don't say the plot works :)

Taken
I think I heard lots about this. A kind of osmosis of hype I imagine. So we rented it and watched and... It's a bit rubbish.

What is going on with Liam Neeson's accent? Why is the film so full of loose ends? Why is he so indestructible - Superman is less bullet proof? Why is it so light on plot? Why is it not as stand out as it could be - a bit of flair would have made it at least a good bit of film making? Why is it just so dreadful, especially the ending?

They're at least some of the questions asked to break up the monotony of karate chops and (unerringly accurate) shots from the hip.

It's a competent film, but when there's so much better brainless action out there (Bourne, The Transporter, etc) this just doesn't stand up at all.

I guess I had hopes that it might give the slightest attempts at engaging you emotionally... It did... The slightest attempt!

The best thing about the film was the twenty minute break in the middle for a cup of tea!

4/10

mrclam

Giga Poster
furie said:
Blaze, it's simple. If the past changes the future, then the future can not change the past, so the past can't change the future any more. If things don't happen like they're supposed to due to the interference of T2, then T1 cannot happen, and therefore T2 cannot happen and there fore (thank God!) T3 and TS cannot happen.

How comes you're an expert on how time travel would work in real life?

You travelled in time then? Have you? have you?

I still go with the "you cant change the past" theory, and everyone in the first 2 movies was lying about the date of the war and stuff.

Ollie

CF Legend
Saw this trailer today for Dead Snow. Looks pretty cool actually. :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEQwEmeWnyI&feature=channel_page[/youtube]

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^Ahh... are they releasing it abroad already?

It's a Norwegian film, released in January I think. Haven't seen it, but it's appearently good. They say.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I watched Yes Man today after waiting ages to see it.

Like almost all of Carrey's comedic performances, I loved it. Funny at times, good drama and a moderately good story line. Not his best, but I'm glad Carrey is back to doing what he does best...comedy :)

A solid 8/10

peep

CF Legend
Went to see Hangover last night in London.

I thought there was a possibility of this being one of those films where all the good funny bits are in the trailer. Thankfully this wasn't one of them. The film was one funny moment after another. The comic timing was superb and the story that unfolds just gets more and more absurd as it goes on but it doesn't matter because it's hilarious. This has to be the funniest film that will be released this year. I thought there was already too many films about peeps getting wasted in Vegas but somehow this feels original and fresh. Also Mike Tyson = win :p

Rating: 4.5/5