What's new

"Now Showing"

peep

CF Legend
^Lol.

Just seen the new trailer for the 4th Final Destination film (which will be in 3D). It looks like another bad storyline with some very gruesome deaths. It's going to be amazing :D

Trailer

Ben

CF Legend
^ <3

And I just got back from Star Trek at the Imax. Holy crap, that movie is officially awesome. I didn't even really "want" to see it. But, holy crap.

mrclam

Giga Poster
peep said:
^Lol.

Just seen the new trailer for the 4th Final Destination film (which will be in 3D). It looks like another bad storyline with some very gruesome deaths. It's going to be amazing :D

I *love* (not) how each of the individual death shots seem to have been set up for maximum "things flying out of the screen"-ness.. Oh look metal thing coming out screen, oh look pebble coming out screen.. sigh

Bad 3d. I liked "up!" because the 3d WASNT in your face...

But This reminds me.. I *STILL* havent gotten around to going on the FD3 coaster...

it's not far from me (just a 10 minute bus ride) - but i cant justify to myself paying part entry price for a corkscrew and a turdy small woody

mrclam

Giga Poster
Ben said:
^ <3

And I just got back from Star Trek at the Imax. Holy crap, that movie is officially awesome. I didn't even really "want" to see it. But, holy crap.

I think this is because teenagers nowadays have REALLY short attention spans.

AeRo

Hyper Poster
Okay, so I now have a shiny new telly which is full HD and a wee bit bigger than my old one, and what a difference :p

Last week, a friend suggested that I hadn't really lived until I had looked at Pixar stuff, so I duly ordered Wall-E and Ratatoille which came with a bonus disc of Pixar Shorts.

Outcome - Thanks for the advice Mr Friend, you were absolutely correct, and I now feel complete - in the movie sense.

Pixar Shorts

This BluRay shows the development of Pixar from the beginning and is quite an eye opener. Some really cool stuff here, My personal favourite is Boundin'.

A progressive 8/10

Ratatouille

Good story and excellent animation, colours and detail are phenomenal right down to Linguinis' goatee.

8/10

Wall-E

I first saw this as a download although, quality was good, it certainly wasn't BluRay standard. I wasn't that impressed with it to be honest, but I was convinced to give it another go on BluRay and so I did. I now have a plateful of Humble Pie - this movie is simply fantastic.

9/10

Ollie

CF Legend
mrclam said:
peep said:
^Lol.

I *love* (not) how each of the individual death shots seem to have been set up for maximum "things flying out of the screen"-ness.. Oh look metal thing coming out screen, oh look pebble coming out screen.. sigh

Bad 3d. I liked "up!" because the 3d WASNT in your face...

I much prefer the 3d to be in your face. Especially in horror films as it enters your comfort zone and really gives it that extra level of fear. I don't care that much about slight 3D that only gives it a bigger sense of depth as you forget about it quite quickly once the film has begun. Having things fly out to literally inches in front of your face keeps you on edge and gives you the feeling that you're not just watching a film, it's happening right in front of you. Even so, I don't think the 3D effects will be as good as Pirates was at Thorpe.

marc

CF Legend
AeRo said:
Okay, so I now have a shiny new telly which is full HD and a wee bit bigger than my old one, and what a difference :p

Last week, a friend suggested that I hadn't really lived until I had looked at Pixar stuff, so I duly ordered Wall-E and Ratatoille which came with a bonus disc of Pixar Shorts.

Outcome - Thanks for the advice Mr Friend, you were absolutely correct, and I now feel complete - in the movie sense.

Pixar Shorts

This BluRay shows the development of Pixar from the beginning and is quite an eye opener. Some really cool stuff here, My personal favourite is Boundin'.

A progressive 8/10

Ratatouille

Good story and excellent animation, colours and detail are phenomenal right down to Linguinis' goatee.

8/10

Wall-E

I first saw this as a download although, quality was good, it certainly wasn't BluRay standard. I wasn't that impressed with it to be honest, but I was convinced to give it another go on BluRay and so I did. I now have a plateful of Humble Pie - this movie is simply fantastic.

9/10

Wall-E on BlueRay is just simply stunning.

I was one of these people that never thought BluRay would take off or be any good, boy was I wrong. But I still would not buy everything on BluRay, I dont see the point in buying TV shows for example.

Ben

CF Legend
mrclam said:
Ben said:
^ <3

I think this is because teenagers nowadays have REALLY short attention spans.

Excuse me?

So it's not the opera, so what? Do you just hate everything that other people like, and put it down to some superiority?

AeRo

Hyper Poster
^ lol Ben, as far as I am concerned, watching a toilet flush would be fantastic in IMAX - I was blown away by Batman Begins and Dark Knight. :p

Marc, I understand what you are saying, I am a bit of a technophile, so have had all the fancy gear for a long time - got 5.1 surround more than 10 years ago, my first plasma was 6 years ago, got the first commercially available progressive scan dvd player so, really the Hi Def thing, for me, was purely a case of playing the waiting game until the definative format was decided. That said, it means that I have bought a Blu Ray player and upgraded both my amp and now my screen as well as adding a couple of speakers, so not exactly cheap, but definately worth it, for me.

I doubt I will be buying standard tv programmes on bluray, that said, I only ever bought 3rd Rock from the Sun and Malcolm in the Middle on dvd, so I am not a great tv fan. Saying that, some of todays US tv programmes are filmed in HD, with a bigger budget than some movies, so they may well be an option at some point, but yeah not at the moment.

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
Ollie said:
I much prefer the 3d to be in your face. [...] I don't care that much about slight 3D that only gives it a bigger sense of depth as you forget about it quite quickly once the film has begun. Having things fly out to literally inches in front of your face keeps you on edge and gives you the feeling that you're not just watching a film, it's happening right in front of you.

It's the exact opposite for me. Deliberately throwing things at the audience pisses me off. Brings me right out of the film. Oh har har, it's a 3D yes yes, lets keep reminding them... Please, just... don't. It's such an old mentality of using 3D for 3D's sake.

Coraline was a really lovely experience with its subtlety. And Up seems to have done it just perfect. I think I might just wait to see it in 3D in October, unless of course there are mystery screenings somewhere.

In other news, I saw Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and The Machinist.

Fear and Loathing was really interesting in that it was constructed like a two hour drug trip. Some lovely cinematography was put into play to give you that feeling of being on a high, then slowing down and becoming claustrophobic. Depp and Del Toro were appropriately drugged up, and it was really quite funny to watch. Not much else in it though, which was unfortunate. I'll not watch it again.

-6/10

The Machinist was very very good, in contrast. The best thing I've seen Christian Bale in - and his weight loss is really striking. It was really creepy throughout, and I loved how the mystery was slowly revealed quietly, leaving you with a very deep sense of dread, helped a lot by visual cues and the cinematography in general. Long, drawn out shots intercut with stark imagery all dulled out by a grey/blue filter -- something is definitely not right.
Everyone was acted superbly, and I loved that Di Angelo from The Wire was in it :D The music wasn't stunning, but it was certainly good and very capable of keeping the mood taught and tense - one scene comes to mind especially.

-8.5/10

A hearty recommend, but I'll say this - don't watch the trailer, it's rather spoilerific. It might come back onto Film4 some time this week, so watch out for it.

Snoo

The Legend
LiveForTheLaunch said:
^^ Ben, I don't think I've heard Clam praise like, more than one or two movies.

Look about 40 pages back.. I think I asked him what movies he enjoys a lot.. and he listed I think like 10?

mrclam

Giga Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
^ Oh.. eh.. Still, he's quite a downer when it comes to recent movies, anyway.

No.. just star trek.. which was dumbed down for the current teenage audience.

peep

CF Legend
^I don't think so. Star Trek was really good, I've not seen any of the original Star Trek shows/films so I can't compare it but it was a well put together film and if anything it just made it more easy for non-fans to enjoy it (probably why clam hates it so much).

3D films are better when they are subtle and give more depth to the screen rather than making you aware that it's in 3D. Beowulf failed on such a high level because of this, every shot in the movie wasn't about how they can portray the scene it was all about how many times they could get something to throw at the audience. Completely destroyed that film.

Anyways I recently got back from seeing Night at the Museum 2.

I wasn't really disappointed by this film because I didn't expect much from it. I also didn't really laugh until about half way into the film (the annoying kids in the audience were kids though and were slightly amused at just the sight of the monkey). What really failed though was the more adult jokes where the adults just found it boring and dry and the kids sat there in silence like "wtf is going on?". It does have its good parts though and the special effects were quite good. The film also has Amy Adams which just makes it better than the first film. I suppose as a whole it was great entertainment for families but it does have some mega flaws.

Rating: 3/5