What's new

"Now Showing"

Slayed

Hyper Poster
peep said:
Saw Terminator Salvation earlier.....it was a good piece of directing. I think one of the best things though about this film was Danny Elfman's score, it was excellent. Rating: 4/5
PEEP! How could you! It's RUBBISH!

Utterly pointless film that achieves nothing, either as a film in general or within the Terminator mythology (I'd back that up more but it's spoilerage).

Risible dialogue from the opening lines, Bale doing his stupid "I'm hard coz I has a raspy voice" delivery again, woeful lack of imagination, McG looks out of his depth for most of it, even the effects were dodgy. And Elfman's score was very very average - it even echoed The Dark Knight, which is ironically sad.

"In memory of Stan Winston" my arse, he's probably doing cartwheels in his crypt. What a waste of time. 2/10.

Oh, saw Angels & Demons too.

With Da Vinci Code, I enjoyed the book and thought the film sucked rancid donkey anus, so I was really hoping this would be an improvement.

Thankfully it is! It still follows a very basic template (solve riddle, run to location, solve riddle, run....etc.), but Hanks does a solid job, it ticks over nicely until the end, and Hans Zimmer's score is surprisingly good.

But.

It's an INSANELY stupid film! It insists on repeating obvious plot points at least twice in the most crass way, just in case you're too thick to be following it. The dialogue is awful. Putting aside the key scientific plot driver as "suspension of disbelief", the story starts OK but then gets progressively more idiotic and leaky, ultimately to pathetic levels.

And then there's Ewan McGregor. Oh my life. I like McGregor, but he's tried to outgun Audrey Tatou from Da Vinci Code for "Worst Accent In History", and won! His Irish/Scottish/Austrian priest is utterly hilarious, and by the time the plot has him doing the most ridiculous things I was literally trying to stop myself from laughing out loud in the cinema, and failing :lol:.

Better than DVC then, but that's not saying a lot. Kudos for the FX though - it's RAMMED with them, mostly invisible and of an exceedingly high standard; it's almost a showcase in FX technology. So an extra point for the FX, 4/10.

What's out next? Transformers? Kill me now :lol:.

Ollie

CF Legend
I didn't think the first one was anything amazing though. I was ok. But nothing that was worth a sequel.

Ollie

CF Legend
Dave said:
So why do you like dire films like Saw that spawn hideous sequels?
I know Saw films are nothing amazing. But at least they're intelligent and have a decent story that develops each film rather than giant robots and countless explosions.

John91

Mega Poster
^Nout wrong with explosions. It's all Michael Bay is good at and you don't really expect much else from fighting robots.
Saw has been mediocre since 3, it's more a sense of got to finish them than actual desire that keeps most of us watching.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ollie said:
Dave said:
So why do you like dire films like Saw that spawn hideous sequels?
I know Saw films are nothing amazing. But at least they're intelligent and have a decent story that develops each film rather than giant robots and countless explosions.

Somebody has been watching a different set of Saw films to me. I found them floundering and desperate for a real story, so they fluffed and added and confounded the tale so much to try and make it fit.

The first, yes. The rest - cheap cash ins and anyone who thinks they're an intelligent design planned for the start is a fool.

At least Transformers does what it says on the tin. "Come in and see giant CGI robots beat the **** out of each other. If you don't like that, fine, don't come in". Saw says "come in and see me pretend to be clever, when in reality I'm just milking you of your cash because you're not as clever as me".

Just watched Silence of the Lambs (first time in many years). I loved this at the cinema (I got to see a special preview a month before release and hadn't heard of it) - it was huge and different and utterly captivating. The story, the characters and the high tension ending - brilliant stuff.

I love going back and watching these films after many year's absence - you appreciate them again! 9/10

peep

CF Legend
^^Yay, someone who agrees with me that Potter 6 actually looks good.

^Hell yeah, Silence of the lambs is an excellent film. Anthony Hopkins is amazing.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I prefer Brian Cox as Lector, but Manhunter is such an 80's film :lol:

Cox played him as he was written in the two books, which is why I preferred his role - he's actually scarier because he's so normal. Hopkins played a brilliant part, but not a brilliant Lecter.

the almighty post repairing furie said:
Somebody has been watching a different set of Saw films to me. I found them floundering and desperate for a real story, so they fluffed and added and confounded the tale so much to try and make it fit.

One and two were the ones that didn't seem thrown together to me. Three was entertaining enough, but still felt sort of tossed together, four was crap and confusing(though I still bought it), and I kind of enjoyed five.

Silence of the Lambs is awesome, I agree.