What's new

"Now Showing"

Ben

CF Legend
As part of my serious, must become more educated in film, I watched Fight Club on... Monday? Yeah. Yeah, I did.

It was ****ing fantastic, I can easily see how it became such a big deal. The whole feel and tone of it is just so unlike anything I've ever seen, and then just as always, Helena and Norton are visions in acting. Of course, David Fincher is then the only director who can make Pitt anything by a plank, and so he's good in this too.

And then the twist! I knew there was a big one in the film, but I had no idea it would be that!

Loved it.

10/10

And today I'm gonna watch Ed Wood.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
LiveForTheLaunch said:
Are we ever going to have any reviews in here OTHER than Batman? :p

I reviewed the Blues Brothers on the last page! :lol:

Ben - I thought Fight Club was good, but lost it's way a little bit. As the plot speeds up though, and you're trying to work out what's going on and you see how deep it's all got - it's a terrific ride.

I was a bit disappointed by the ending too, it just didn't seem right somehow, but I felt the same about Se7en too... It's like they didn't really actually know how to end the film - they had the twist worked out, but didn't really know how best to handle it. Still, great film.

Ed Wood is sublime. It helps if you've ever seen any of Ed Wood's films (Plan 9 from Outer Space is superb :lol: ), but it's good anyway.

I caught one of the first films he made on some crap cable channel a few months back (the one where Bella Lugosi is fighting with a plastic squid in a pond in the middle of the night) - and that was really atrocious, but not even in the same league as Plan 9.

Top film, with superb performances from everyone (Depp is just so versatile and Burton really knows how to get him into a great role). One of my faves :)

marc

CF Legend
I loved the film Se7en and you still dont really know what is in the box at the end. There are also 2 endings I have only seen 1 of them though.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
southend_marc said:
I loved the film Se7en and you still dont really know what is in the box at the end. There are also 2 endings I have only seen 1 of them though.

Se7en has some of the best direction I'd seen in a long, long time, and was generally a superb film. It's just that

Spoiler
Spacey had been planning meticulously the entire 7 deadly sins murders for many years. Much longer than Pitt had been in the city. So why did he ditch the last two meticulously planned murders in favour of punishing Pitt? It's a plot twist for the sake of it, rather than a natural evolution of the story. All along we're led to believe the killer is highly intelligent and has this planned out to the finest detail, and has had for years, so why the sudden change? You miss it, because you're going "what a twist!", but it unravels the rest of the film.

It's still a superb film, don't get me wrong, but that's what I was saying about the Fincher films kind of not ending how they really should.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
southend_marc said:
I see what you mean now :) very good point.

The answer is, of course, to not think too much and just let the film entertain you :lol:

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
Yes I know it's been done but meh.

Dark Knight

Wow. Amazing, proper loved it! Yes, Ledger was good, but not as much as people make out. It was a fantastic performance but I think he overused the stereotypical Maniac laugh. After every line he would crack up on fits of laughter, it just seemed a bit too obvious. But otherwise fantastic.

Peep, I totally agree with you about Eckhart! He was utterly fantastic and was an excellent choice for the role!

People have said that this was Joker's film. I don't think this is true. He gets about the same screen time as Bale and Eckhart.

Hopefully I'll go see it again as It definitely needs a re-watch and overall i'll rate it a 10/10.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Guess what I'm going to review next...

Go on...

It's 30 Days of Night

I watched it last night on DVD. Not really heard much about it to be honest, other than a weak hype making machine trying to make out it was great.

To be fair, it wasn't bad, but the characters and story were very poor and cliched. It had a lot of potential, but it always seemed to cut short of itself whenever it had the potential to go on to greatness.

Things were never really expanded on, it just constantly left you feeling frustrated that it didn't quite do enough or go far enough - in terms of story, character, direction, writing... Just everything fell annoyingly short.

So in the end, you just stop caring about the film and it's characters. It's a real shame as it was bubbling with such potential. The effects and cinematography were just dying to be unleashed into a decent film. Sadly, they were shackled into a bland, underdeveloped, unoriginal plank of a movie. 5/10

Maxi-Minor_Furie however went to see Wall-E. Here's my interview with him afterwards to see what he thought of the film (interview conducted at McDonalds Restaurant, Stafford).

Furie - So, what did you do today Maxi-Minor_Furie?

MMF - Me saw Wall-E

Furie - Was that at the cinema?

MMF - (nods over a McChicken Nugget)

Furie - Was the film good?

MMF - (nods over french fry)

Furie -What happened?

MMF - She say "Wall-E" (giggles)

Furie - What else happened?

MMF - (No response)

- Interview terminated.

Not too bad for his first visit to the cinema :lol:

Madame_furie took him, and said that he was desperately bored after an hour, as were all the other three year olds. He seems charmed by the film, but like The Incredibles, he thinks he should enjoy it much more than he actually does. Toy Story (1 and 2), Monsters Inc. and Nemo he can watch right the way through and enjoy all the time - so there must be something about those films which captivates the younger audience. I'd probably say the same to be honest, they're the four Pixar films I'm happy to be subjected to again and again! As lovely as the other films are, they just don't stand up to constant re-watching.

I think it'll be next Wednesday before I get a chance to see it now :(

Johnny

Hyper Poster
For the first time ever (I am not joking), I saw one of the films in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Naturally, I saw the first, The Lord of The Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.

I guess it's taken me this long to see one of them simply because it was never my sort of thing when they came out. But now I'm trying to see all of these famous films, and a bunch of newer ones as well.

Anyway, it started out really well, and kept me entertained. Yes, not too much happened, but it was really enjoyable right from the start. Ian McKellen did brilliantly as Gandalf, brilliant portrayal. Elijah Wood did a good job too, but nothing amazing. Everyone else was great too.

Pretty much all the scenes were great and I wasn't bored at all. The whole film was just visually stunning, and the costumes were fitted in perfectly with the style of the film.

Not sure right now whether to give it a 10, I didn't finish watching it long ago, but for now, a solid 9/10 is definite.

peep

CF Legend
^Tut tut, a new LOTR fan. Why? (rhetorical question) I'm too tired for yet another LOTR rant.

Tonight I watched two DVDs.

First up was Road Trip. I like this film, makes me giggle, mainly down to the random Tom Green with his extremely usual obsession about a snake. Its very enjoyable though and one of my fav teen comedies.
Rating:4/5

And I have just finished watching The Bourne Ultimatum. Its a good film, I probably should have watched Bourne Conspiracy to refresh beforehand but I felt like being difficult. Its enjoyable and its nice to see familiar locations (London) in a blockbuster :p I usually hate Matt Damon but he does suit the role of Jason Bourne quite well. I like the fast pace throughout the film, never really slowing down, very upbeat which I like cause it doesn't feel like the film drags at all.
Rating: 4/5

but like The Incredibles, he thinks he should enjoy it much more than he actually does. Toy Story (1 and 2), Monsters Inc. and Nemo he can watch right the way through and enjoy all the time - so there must be something about those films which captivates the younger audience

Yeah, I think at least with Toy Story and Monster's Inc, it's a cool concept because kids can relate to you know, toys coming alive at night (not saying they do, but every kid wonders that), and being scared of monsters in their closet. Those are the four best Pixar films though, no doubt about it.

Wall-E was very cute, but it's not something little kids will like because of the lack of dialogue.

^ Hey, I love kiddie movies! Everyone can do with a nice Disney movie here and there. If my memory serves me correctly, you're a fan of Aladdin :p .

And my body type is awesome, and you know it.

Snoo

The Legend
Aladdin came out when I WAS a kid.. and it was bad ass.. just to note.. :lol:

How High

Well.. two black men get into Harvard. I've always kind of avoided the movie, thinking it was gonna be dumb, but it gave me rather large laughs through it. I saw it last night. If you do see it, watch it uncensored, as censored is complete crap.

8/10

Boys on the Side

It's not a new movie, but I have all these older movies my mom bought me off of Ebay a while back and I still haven't watched them all. So, I randomly decided on this one, chilled out, and watched it. It was actually a cute movie, and wasn't really a typical chick flick. It had a lot of funny parts as well as sad parts, and though it wasn't an amazing movie, it was still good and it definitely shows the importance of good friends.

7.5/10

peep

CF Legend
Today I caught a movie on BBC 2 about Julius Caesar, funnily enough it was called, Julius Caesar. It was a TV movie made in 2002. At 2 hours 50 mins its quite long but it was highly watchable. I was gripped right from the beginning. The acting in the film was top notch and the battle scenes were really intense. It was a great film and one that I wouldn't mind having in my dvd collection.

Rating: 5/5

Phantom of the Opera (2004)

I have never known the full story of the Phantom of the Opera, but I have heard the songs and knew the gist of what it was about. The first half an hour to an hour were kind of dry, but the last hour of it was amazing. It made me bawl my face off twice, once when the Phantom was watching Christine sing with Rauol, and again at the end. It was just a very different movie, and though a lot of the songs didn't appeal to me, some of the songs were very intense and exciting, like the "Phantom of the Opera" song and "Past the Point of No Return".

So yep, it was good!

8/10

Johnny

Hyper Poster
Talladega Nights: The Legend of Ricky Bobby

I was hoping to see Anchorman, but the place where I rent films didn't have it at the time, so I watched this.

My friend said it was "amazing", which seemed too good to be true, which it was. I was disappointed.

I dunno, it just wasn't that funny, and I wasn't excited or intrigued as to what would happen. Of course there were some funny quotes, but just not enough to keep me entertained. It was rubbish at the start, got better in the middle, but then just slipped away towards the end.

Norbit got more laughs out of me than this.

6/10 for now.

mrclam

Giga Poster
Saw batman.. prefered harvey dent character to joker..

christian bales batman is getting on my tits.. he's good as bruce wayne.. as batman he needs a cough sweet...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I watched Hellraiser II: Hellbound last night.

I love Clive Barker, and loved Hellraiser and Hellraiser II when I was a young pip of a lad (well, I was about 17 when they came out :lol: ).

Hellraiser is still a good story, but it has aged REALLY badly (actually, it looked old when it came out). Hellbound manages to hold up a little better, but it's rubbish really. Style over substance, but not it's old and tatty :lol:

Still, it was two hours of mature cheese and great to see classic 'horror' again :)