What's new

"Now Showing"

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
LiveForTheLaunch said:
As for the storyline, it was super confusing. I suck at following movies that aren't basic, so you can imagine how confused I was with this. Too many characters, too many things going on, and it was just odd.

That was my complaint (only I could follow it :p ). The reason you found it confusing is because it was actually needless. It was throwing in plot points left right and centre in an attempt to be clever - when in reality, there is very little plot, but you're made to think there is because they've over complicated it.

A much simple plot would have made the film faster and better flowing and a much, much better film.

The reason the film has done well is the hype machine surround Ledger's death. YES, Ledger was good, but he had to shine as the rest of the acting he was against was very flat.

Like Titanic, it's going to be a film everyone saw, everyone raved about, everyone bought on DVD and nobody ever watches three years later.

Well, I have reviews tooooo!

Stand By Me
I've not seen this film for a long LONG time. I watched it at home on TV probably in 1989 or so, so about 20 years. It's a film which has always remained crisp and clear in my mind (maybe helped by reading the novella a few years ago). The acting wasn't quite as good as I remember, but it's still an okay film, with some brilliant moments. It's a bit twee and irritating at times, but still well worth a watch. 4/5.

Next:
Die Hard 4.0
I missed it at the cinema, but my Blu-Ray rental came through yesterday so I watched it. Superb entertainment. Not as good as the first one (and I can't remember the third), but it was really great fun, and solid, stupid, cheesy entertainment. Minor_Furie loved it too! Solid 4/5 again! :)

The reason you found it confusing is because it was actually needless. It was throwing in plot points left right and centre in an attempt to be clever - when in reality, there is very little plot, but you're made to think there is because they've over complicated it.

Yeah, I know. My boyfriend even laughed at me when I said I found it confusing, and then told me the whole story was just the Joker trying to screw crap up basically. It just seemed so much more complicated than it actually was.

The reason the film has done well is the hype machine surround Ledger's death. YES, Ledger was good, but he had to shine as the rest of the acting he was against was very flat.

I dunno, I thought that a lot of people raving about his acting was because he died, but after seeing it, I can definitely say he did an amazing job whether or not he's dead now. It just made it more weird to think that he is actually dead.

Stand By Me

Funny, I just got that movie a few days ago. I'm not allowed to have it until my birthday, but I want to watch it because I heard it's really good.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've seen a few films while I've been in Peru.

Flawless

With Michael Caine, it was actually quite mediocre The plot was quite good, and the twist at the end of the film was good. To be honest, it was the film on the plane, and they're always a bit crap. It was good for a plane film, but a bit dull as a "normal" film.

Overall 7/10

Thank You For Smoking

This was actually really good. It was a weird concept, but the film and dialogue were very good. It made some quite good points, but was also surprisingly funny.

Overall 8.5/10

The Sentinel

This was quite good too. It felt sometimes like the filming was a bit rushed and the budget was a bit low, but the plot was good, the action was good and the acting was good. Some of the dialogue didn't seem to be really that good however it didn't give much away about the true nature of the film. The twist at the end was good in this film too.

Overall 7/10

Volcano

I'll keep this brief. This film was a bit tacky, but some of the acting was quite good. The end was a bit crazy, but overall the film was quite good.

Overall 7/10

The Virgin Suicides

I didn't like this much. It was a bit too romantic for my liking. The acting was quite good and the plot was interesting, but overall it was a bit sad really. The ending seemed unexplained and totally unnecessary. I think I didn't like it mainly because it's not my srt of film over the fact that it wasn't actually that great.

Overall 5/10

Drop Zone

This has to be one of the worst films I've seen. The skydiving seemed to be in the film just for the sake of making the film more action packed. To be fair, some of the shots of the skydiving were good, and some of the skydiving stunts performed by Swoop, on of the good skydivers, were really cool, but the film just seemed like it was trying a bit too hard. The dialogue was sometimes quite funny, but mostly was just there to explain what was happening.

Overall 4/10

Ollie

CF Legend
Indiana Jones: Raider of the lost ark

Not much to say about this apart from it's a true classic. Haven't seen it for years so it felt as good as it did the first time. :p

9.9/10 almost flawless.

The Virgin Suicides

That movie was the most ridiculous movie I have ever seen. Okay, maybe not that bad, but still, it seemed completely pointless. A bunch of sisters all end up dead and hardly any decent plot in between.

on subject of batman : I thought the bloke who played harvey dent was better than the joker..

Uhh, no way!

mrclam

Giga Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
The Virgin Suicides

That movie was the most ridiculous movie I have ever seen. Okay, maybe not that bad, but still, it seemed completely pointless. A bunch of sisters all end up dead and hardly any decent plot in between.

That film isnt about having a "plot" it's not an action movie or anything.. it's just showing what it's like to be a teenager growing up.. Real life doesnt need a plot...

on subject of batman : I thought the bloke who played harvey dent was better than the joker..

Uhh, no way!

WAY!

If ledger hadnt had died - people would've been LOADS more interested in the dent character...

I thought ledger was very average in this myself..

That film isnt about having a "plot" it's not an action movie or anything.. it's just showing what it's like to be a teenager growing up.. Real life doesnt need a plot...

I know that, but it was ridiculous. It was kind of boring considering nothing was going on, and then even if you're actually paying attention to the film, which I was, all they do is kill themselves anyway. I'd hardly call every sibling in a family killing themselves "real life".

WAY!

If ledger hadnt had died - people would've been LOADS more interested in the dent character...

I thought ledger was very average in this myself..

I was actually not very interested in the Dent character. I would take Joker and Batman over him, as his face kind of bugged me and his acting wasn't anything great. At least Heath had a difficult part to play as the Joker, and he excelled at it.

kimahri

CF Legend
Just got back from The Dark Knight.

It was kinda over shadowed by watching Pulp fiction Earlier in the week but it was still really good.

only gripe I have was.

OMG SPOILER OOOOOOMG SCROLL PAST the MEEDIATLY!

When dent became 2 face he seemed to kinda die and seem less interesting never mind

OMG THAT WAS SHORTER THAN I EXPECTED NO MORE SPOILERS

Ledger can be compaired to bradon lee here. This would have been his movie break and stuff.

Joker rules... batman sounds funny when he does the voice.

And Pulp Fiction is awesome

Solid 9/10 for dark knight

11/10 for pulp fiction which has nothing to do with this.

Mother said dont watch dark knight go watch pulp fiction instead :D

Everytime I watch the Green Mile it gets better and better. I have already watched it two times this week, and probably at least six or seven times total, and each time I seem to cry more for some reason.

Whatever, it's still possible the greatest movie out there alongside Wizard of Oz and Labyrinth.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Last night, I saw Life of Brian. The film was even banned in Norway for a year, and was advertised in Sweden as "So fun that it's banned in Norway". Several Swediah theatres even showed it with Norwegian subtitles, as there were so many Norwegians who crossed the border to see the film.

Yeah, enough background history. At least, I got to know why it is titled "the best comedy of all time".
Fun as can be, British humour at its best, and with many memorable quotes. I guess most people here have seen it, so I won't write a long review. And for you who haven't, all I can say is go see it.

10/10. Obviously.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
LiveForTheLaunch said:
At least Heath had a difficult part to play as the Joker, and he excelled at it.

Actually, I'll take that one up.

It's much harder to make a bland character well acted, than an exciting character. It's very easy to 'play up' and fill out an over the top character. Whereas to make a much more serious character come alive, it's much more difficult.

It's why I was so disappointed with Gary Oldman. He plays those extreme parts so well - he's a very over the top actor -but in a much lower key, quieter role, he seems a bit lost and underused.

When you watch it, you see that Bale really comes to life as an actor, when he's playing Bruce, acting as the playboy. That's when his talent really shows through. You notice it because he's being given much more free reign. Freeman shines as a low key character because he's excellent at those kinds of parts.

So Ledger had probably the easiest job out of the lot, as he had the easiest character to act - big and bold is easy.

I've said before, he DOES do a good job, but interest wouldn't have been there is it wasn't for his death (for the film certainly).

Anyway - I watched Apocalypto last night on Blu-Ray. Lovely looking film, and quite realistic. It all got a bit Hollywood towards the end, but it was still a good watch. Very dirty, gritty and harsh at times. Something a bit different... 3/10 for story, 4/10 for loveliness :)

Pokemaniac said:
Last night, I saw Life of Brian. The film was even banned in Norway for a year, and was advertised in Sweden as "So fun that it's banned in Norway".

Great film, ruined over the years by goons quoting it (not as much as Holy Grail though). That advertising quote made me LOL though :lol:

Why do you post?

What was wrong with that?! All I was saying was how much I love the movie the Green Mile :p .

Look who's talking, Mr. Spam.

Nah, you know I love you really.

It's much harder to make a bland character well acted, than an exciting character. It's very easy to 'play up' and fill out an over the top character. Whereas to make a much more serious character come alive, it's much more difficult.

No way, I'd find it much easier to play a character that really has no substance than a character who is mental. At least it requires more acting and when you're playing a character who is very out there, you have to act less like yourself, rather than if you're playing someone average, you don't have to do much.

Anyway - I watched Apocalypto last night on Blu-Ray. Lovely looking film, and quite realistic. It all got a bit Hollywood towards the end, but it was still a good watch. Very dirty, gritty and harsh at times. Something a bit different... 3/10 for story, 4/10 for loveliness

THREE OR FOUR OUT OF TEN?! Apocalypto was AMAZING!

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
furie said:
LiveForTheLaunch said:
At least Heath had a difficult part to play as the Joker, and he excelled at it.

Actually, I'll take that one up.

It's why I was so disappointed with Gary Oldman. He plays those extreme parts so well - he's a very over the top actor -but in a much lower key, quieter role, he seems a bit lost and underused.

When you watch it, you see that Bale really comes to life as an actor, when he's playing Bruce, acting as the playboy. That's when his talent really shows through. You notice it because he's being given much more free reign. Freeman shines as a low key character because he's excellent at those kinds of parts.

So Ledger had probably the easiest job out of the lot, as he had the easiest character to act - big and bold is easy.

I've said before, he DOES do a good job, but interest wouldn't have been there is it wasn't for his death (for the film certainly).

Anyway - I watched Apocalypto last night on Blu-Ray. Lovely looking film, and quite realistic. It all got a bit Hollywood towards the end, but it was still a good watch. Very dirty, gritty and harsh at times. Something a bit different... 3/10 for story, 4/10 for loveliness :)

Pokemaniac said:
Last night, I saw Life of Brian. The film was even banned in Norway for a year, and was advertised in Sweden as "So fun that it's banned in Norway".

Great film, ruined over the years by goons quoting it (not as much as Holy Grail though). That advertising quote made me LOL though :lol:

I agree Furie.

For example. When I played Harry Brewer in "Our Country's good" I had to be a psycho who saw the dead basically. Although it was a challenge to let go in front of an audience, it's very easy to act as you just go over the top.

In contrast however, when I played the Vicar Of Hatfield in "The Permanent way" I found it very hard as the character was well to be honest boring. And to make myself stand out from the more interesting characters I had to try and make the character come "alive". And tbh I didn't do it very well.

So yeah. I agree with Furie that although Ledger did play the part very well...he knew what he had to do, and it would have been very easy to do. More so than the likes of Gary Oldman's character for example.

For example. When I played Harry Brewer in "Our Country's good" I had to be a psycho who saw the dead basically. Although it was a challenge to let go in front of an audience, it's very easy to act as you just go over the top.

Well, maybe to you it would have been easier, but for someone like me who doesn't really act very much (not saying Ledger didn't act a lot, I'm just saying this from a personal standpoint), playing a boring character would be much easier than playing a psycho.

Seriously, I don't think that even this needs a debate. In my opinion he had the hardest part to play in the movie. If you think otherwise, that's fantastic, it's not like this needs an argument as well :p .

Okay, so I watched American History X, as my mom has shown me like every movie she has bought me for my birthday (but won't let me have my Ipod early, haha).

I didn't really know what to expect from it. I recalled hearing some decent things about the movie, but it didn't seem like my kind of thing. However, it was pretty good! I preferred it to Alpha Dog which I suppose it can be compared to, and though it shouldn't be up in the top 40 on IMDB's top 250, it was still very well made, and really put a point across. The ending was very sad too, but I think I'm all outta tears from the Green Mile last night.

8/10

mrclam

Giga Poster
SPOILERS FOLLOW!!!

speaking as someone who's had "real world" acting experience..

i agree with furie.

The easiest roles are the crazy stupid ones, the ones where you have to get emotional, fall in love, etc etc..

The HARDEST ones are those where you just have to be a believable normal person in normal life..Because real life IS boring, being interesting as a "real" person is HARD.

Which is why i felt harvy dent character was BRILLIANT

He played the role as a "normal" human being perfectly, to a point that (unless you were familiar with batman) you wouldnt see him being a bad guy at all... But that never stopped him being interesting..

The BIGGEST shame in my book is that they focused too much on the joker, and brushed two-face off too quickly - he'd have been a BRILLIANT major bad guy.. Just like he is in the comics

Two face is, was, and always will be, the most believable batman bad guy.. there's not a person in the world who cant see why the situation he ended up in would make you a bit mental...

Unfortunatey the movie makers skimmed past it.. like they did with the (also brilliant) scarecrow character...

^ Alright, that's fine then. I don't have any major acting experience, so I wouldn't really know. My acting experience consists mainly of crying because I was so frustrated that I got dissed when I was performing my monologue in grade eight.

That being said, I still think Joker > all other characters in that film. And I don't care how messed up he was suppose to be, he was hot.

As for Two Face, I thought his face was dumb looking. They could've made it a bit more realistic maybe.

mrclam

Giga Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
As for Two Face, I thought his face was dumb looking. They could've made it a bit more realistic maybe.

(sound of the palm of my hand hitting my forehead)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I went to see The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor yesterday.

I don't want to write a huge detailed review, but I really liked it. I think it was good that they moved off the Imotep idea and started a new "baddie".

By making the evil characters last only one film can limit a series sometime, but I think that this film ended well and they almost seemed to have been hinting on the next film's theme at the end.

The effects and CGI worked really well with the characters and many of the scenes were quite impressive. They also kept most of the banta that made the original Mummy films good.

Overall, a good film, but I'm not sure if they can keep it up. They either need to stop now, or make sure the next films are still as entertaining and action-packed.

Overall 9/10. I hope they can keep it up.