What's new

NEW RIDE PAULTONS 2012 - Magma (Review Page 9)

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Re: NEW RIDE PAULTONS 2012 ?

I knew as I was typing it somthing like that would be posted. Pretty much unavoidable though.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

I visited the park last week on Thursday, took loads of photos but was asked not to put them online...mainly because they show the inside of the queue line building.

There are two theme focal points in the queue.

I'll contact Paultons and ask if my images can be posted.

Ethan said:
Is this a shot or drop tower? Or both?[/guote]
Drop 'n Spin.

Ethan

Strata Poster

What I also don't get is how on that marketing campaign, there were two men looking at a huge egg. But I don't see how thats relevant to this...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

You will. Things hatch from eggs.

Martyn B

CF Legend

Yeah, the foot rests on these, are odd. I presume thats to help lower height restriction maybe?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

So here's Magma as seen from inside the park, as accessed by regular punters. I like the way the gondola has been left there to tantalise people visiting.

magma23feb121.JPG

Here it is from the tradesman entrance. You can compare it to Cobra. Believe it or not, Magma is about 25ft taller than Cobra.
magma23feb122.JPG

The tower.
magma23feb123.JPG

Wide shot of tower...and mud.
magma23feb124.JPG

Bit closer.
magma23feb125.JPG

Looking up the shaft. Not sure what the light sabre theming is all about though.
magma23feb126.JPG

Seats.
magma23feb127.JPG

Station. Where I'm standing is where a piece of queue line theming is going to go.
magma23feb128.JPG

Where I'm standing now is roughly where the entrance will be (sort of opposite Cobra's entrance).
magma23feb129.JPG

Winding queue line. The steel girders will be cladded to create a volcano, it won't be exposed.
magma23feb1210.JPG

The chaps from RMA were making this archway.
magma23feb1211.JPG

DANGER! Entry to the inside bit of the queue line. 10 years ago, the park probably would have left it like that! But no, the park agree that theme is the way forward and will be putting considerable effort into all future attractions.
magma23feb12danger.JPG

The back of the inside bit, with framework ready to take on the volcano cladding.
magma23feb1213.JPG

So that's really it for Magma. The marketing chap (Hi, Rob!) and RMA did talk me through the queueline and theme elements. Although I can't be specific, it will involve lighting, mist and animated things.

Couple of other things to show you....

All the signs have been replaced throughout the park. Gone are the old perspex red text on white signs to make way for a more uniformed, tidy signage.
magma23feb1214.JPG

New loos have been built outside of the park, which will marry up with the new entrance (next year). I checked both the gents and ladies - very spacious. The car park has been tarmaced.
magma23feb1215.JPG

Sort of upsetting is the removal of the flower clock by the Waggoner's restaurant. Personally upsetting that is because it's where my Mum told me to go if I got lost. Many times throughout my pre-10's would my Mum storm over to me and tell me off by that clock. Not that she lost me, I was a master of escaping! Anyway, the clock removal is all part of the new entrance plaza.
magma23feb1216.JPG

New African themed garden. Not my sort of thing but glad to see they're not pumping in ride after ride on tarmac and destroying the leafy environment of the park.
magma23feb1217.JPG

magma23feb1218.JPG

Finally, new fence by the go-karts :)
magma23feb1219.JPG

Ethan

Strata Poster

Looking nice! It's really great that they are giving the place the revamp it needs. Hopefully they will do loads more!

nadroJ

CF Legend

Loving the new investments, everything is looking nice and fresh and tidy without losing any of the lush, park, gardeniness from the park, perfect combination!

I'm glad that they continue to show an interest in quality theming, it really does make all of the difference to guest impact.

I'm also pleased that Paultons continue to install attraction that appeal to a wide age range. Clearly they are comfortable in the 'family with younger children' bracket, but the fact that they have chosen to install a ride like Magma shows just how well they know their target audience. It's the perfect follow up 'big' attraction to Peppa Pig World in my opinion =]

10WaTT

Hyper Poster

I've been on the one at Flambards and for the age group they are trying to attract, this is perfect. Wish Flambards would of themed their one though as Magma is looking good.

Loving the work being done at Paultons also. Really need to get myself to Paultons! :D

Lofty

CF Legend

TP Rich said:
Hope the ride itself is as good as Skyraker 001.
As good? As good? Wait, am I the only one who thinks Skyraker 001 looks DIRE?

seanz

Roller Poster

I know this is probably a pointless post but some may be interested.
Paultons have put a great big billboard banner for this in Southampton very near St Mary's road. Looks very good, very colourful and clear.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Aw Paulton's. It's really lovely to see them investing in a small thrill ride. And THEMING it! <3

You have to worry when a small children's park like Paulton's understands the requirement for thrill rides more than a family park owned by the second largest location-based entertainment company in the world.

Lofty

CF Legend

Joey said:
Aw Paulton's. It's really lovely to see them investing in a small thrill ride. And THEMING it! <3

You have to worry when a small children's park like Paulton's understands the requirement for thrill rides more than a family park owned by the second largest location-based entertainment company in the world.
It's not just Paulton's that have become wise to this, Gulliver's are also landing some much more "Thrill" rides compared to their line-ups of kiddie rides. They know the importance of catering for the more Adult market now and are heading in more investment into that sector of the market.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Magma open to the public on 31st March. On Saturday 24th March, Paultons Park held a special preview day for VIPs.

The lanyard says I'm a VIP so I'm sticking to it.
magma24mar.JPG

Fancy volcano themed cupcakes, which were awesomely tasty.
magma24mar1.JPG

I was just about tall enough to ride.
magma24mar2.JPG

Ooo, theming. Shame about the bin. Is it really that difficult to get themed bins? To add to the theme, I think a few dino footprints in the tarmac around the ride would look great.
magma24mar3.JPG

This is the side of the volcano structure. A little boxy, perhaps?
magma24mar4.JPG

RAAAA! These shrubs were mazing. It clever how they got them to grow like that.
magma24mar5.JPG

Inside the internal queue, not a close up of my bowel. The light on the ceiling is fab. It dims and flickers.
magma24mar6.JPG

The smoky water pool. Wasn't very smoky when we walked past it, but it's got potential.
magma24mar7.JPG

Superb magma effects built in the wall.
magma24mar8.JPG

Bit more queue line theming. Wonder what's behind that cage?
magma24mar9.JPG

RAAAA!
magma24mar11.JPG

Don't worry, the chain will keep him contained.
magma24mar10.JPG

So onto the ride. Please take a seat.
magma24mar12.JPG

Oh, what are these for?
magma24mar13.JPG

Oh wow!
magma24mar14.JPG

Smoke fills the entire ride area, it's a really good effect. It was so thick at times, you couldn't see the walls!
magma24mar15.JPG

Going up!
magma24mar16.JPG

Looking down on the volcano. It's not finished yet, red lava colours will be added.
magma24mar17.JPG

Hahaha, I shall crush you like ants! Look, the view has changed.
magma24mar18.JPG

A beautiful view of Hampshire's countryside, only made better thanks to Nic's gorgeous brillo-pad hair.
magma24mar19.JPG

Now it's bouncing up and down...
magma24mar20.JPG

magma24mar21.JPG

magma24mar22.JPG

magma24mar23.JPG

View from the very top, nearly 25mtrs up.
magma24mar24.JPG

And now some ride shots to finish it off.
magma24mar25.JPG

magma24mar26.JPG

magma24mar27.JPG

magma24mar28.JPG

magma24mar29.JPG

magma24mar30.JPG

magma24mar31.JPG

magma24mar32.JPG

magma24mar33.JPG

magma24mar34.JPG

So how does it ride? "Gentle" is the best word to describe it. Remember though, this is Paultons Park who's target age is 4-10 year olds. I couldn't feel the gondola rotate as it climbed the tower so on the ascent, it has a quaint observation tower feel to it. The drop and subsequent raising (the "bounce") is smooth, not jerky like some bounce towers can be. The drop has enough force to produce that willy lift/floaty stomach sensation but not as extreme as the fab Jumpin' Bean.

The ride cycle they operated on the preview day was quite long (about 3mins). There are 10 different ride cycles.

It's nice to see Paultons making an effort to theme a ride, although I think the volcano looks a bit boxy in places. It'll look better when the red lava is in place. A solid addition to the park who know their demographic well, so yeah, it's one for the kids. For adults, it's not thrilling, just a bit of fun.

Here's a video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5am012yQkAU[/youtube]