What's new

"Mumbo Jumbo" - S&S El Loco for Flamingo Land

Brookes

Giga Poster
Haha I can't get over the fact they released this on the same day as Saw was released. I can't wait to see the layout. The 125 degree drop will be great.

Rach

Giga Poster
I loved Flamingo Land at the Live this year. It has easily been one of the best Lives this year!

This, I think will fit nicely into Flamingo Land, as they do have a nice selection of coasters. I'm a big fan of Velocity and also of Kumali to some extent.

Flamingo Land shall have the only Corkscrew coaster in the UK in 09, the only motorbike launch and this will fit nicely into that frame.

I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes and how it takes shape. The 125 degree drop sounds mouth watering and it hopefully shall be a great ride.

I wasn't a fan of Speed, but I am looking forward to SAW. But, with this El Loco, the competition between SAW and this has just got that bit better!

nemesisnutter

Roller Poster
Poor Thorpe. :( :wink:

:lol: In other news, this sounds like it will be a great adition to Flamingoland.Steel Hawg at Indiana Beach looks nuts, hopefully they have expanded the layout in the plans.

DjTommyB

Hyper Poster
Yay to Flamingoland! This is a great addition and it would be great to see what these type of rides ride like. I'm glad that I'm going to Flamingoland next year because I now have this to look forward to aswell as Flip Flop.

SparkyBarat

Roller Poster
The most interesting aspect of this announcement for me, apart from the timing of it.... :--D is that Flamingoland have gone with another UK first, after introducing the first Vekoma Bike, they now bring the first El Loco model to these shores...

Now, whatever your opinion on these types of coaster, you have to admit it is forward thinking on their part, something which cannot be said of TP...

Will be interesting to see what sort of expansion can be made on the Steel Hawg layout.

Props to Flamingoland!

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I dunno whether to be happy or sad.

Pished it's not wood.

Happy it's something "different", but I think these things look like utter trash.

spicy

Giga Poster
SparkyBarat said:
you have to admit it is forward thinking on their part, something which cannot be said of TP...

So you would rather Thorpe went for an S&S El Loco rather than a Eurofighter?

luke8

Mega Poster
Im very happy at this, I must say, and actually I am more excited by this than I am at SAW. Being named and themed around a dying out film franchise - is crap, as is a Eurofighter, of which I've already rode 3 of in my time.

These look extremely fun, and if it's really smooth, could be one hell of a coaster, considering how small and cost-effective it is.

Well done to FL for wheeling out another (what looks like a) great coaster, once they get that woodie 2010/2011, they'll be right up there!

walker1104

Mega Poster
This will be a good addition to the park, and may give me an excuse to go there. Steel Hawg looks mad, so if its anything like that, it should be good.

SparkyBarat

Roller Poster
spicy said:
SparkyBarat said:
you have to admit it is forward thinking on their part, something which cannot be said of TP...

So you would rather Thorpe went for an S&S El Loco rather than a Eurofighter?

No, I wouldnt say that, I just feel that by adding a coaster of which there is no other in the UK, Flamingoland are bringing something new to the table, as they did with Rage and Velocity.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Ultimate Coaster said:
Well done to FL for wheeling out another (what looks like a) great coaster, once they get that woodie 2010/2011, they'll be right up there!

Yeah, given the things that are often said about Velocity and Kumali, I think they’ve got a bit longer to go even after a wooden coaster…
It's the Thorpe-of-the-North. The speed of it's advances is astounding. Despite ripping out the brilliant Magnum Force, Flamingoland has come such a long way since my first visit... It's now at the standard of recommendation, when before it was just a way to make trekking up their for Ultimate worth while.

Whilst I agree that the statement "another great coaster" is somewhat mind boggling... There are no great coasters at Flamingoland and at least one god-awful one, but the park's efforts cannot be put down and they spend their money well if you ask me on necessary improvements.

Rob

Mega Poster
This, in my eyes is a bad decision. The ride type look aweful, and if the Screamin' Squirrels are anything to go by, will be just that.

The rest of the layout will no doubt feature those aweful looking outside banked turns, god knows what else. That said i'm sure the GP will like the looks of it, and probably rush over to ride it.

Personally prefer the look of SAW.

Oh, and just to make a point:
Now, whatever your opinion on these types of coaster, you have to admit it is forward thinking on their part, something which cannot be said of TP...

It may well be forwards thinking, and yes, it has a marketing point, but would you not rather have a quality ride type that is manufactured by someone who is known to produce top quality coasters which provide a smooth comfortable and good ride? As I say, I'm basing my opinion on looks and the Squirrel experience, but I'd much rather see a Woodie, Screamin' Swing, Mega Lite, Eurofighter, whatever over one of these....

luke8

Mega Poster
Whoever it was at the bottom of Page 4 that said they dont have great coasters, you need your mind testing.

Kumali is one of the best SLC's out there for me, and I've probably rode about atleast 10 of them, It's widely acclaimed, to a certain extent, even TPR loved it, and they never stop riding coasters, ever.

Velocity isn't the bets coaster in the world by a long way - but it was the right decision for Flamingoland in terms of their audience. What alot of people on here seem to forget, is that 90% of a parks amount of visistors are GP, not fanboys, therfor when they see a unique coaster like Velocity, or this new S&S El Loco, they'll run towards it, and be talking about it for along time to come.

Especially for Flamingoland, who aren't as rich as Thorpe/Alton etc, Vekoma and S&S rides are great additions for them. and their target audience and price budget.

Dave

CF Legend
Ben had me in shock after telling me this today, I think its a great addition to the park. Shame about the capacity of the ride, but long as its operated right it'll do well I think!

A

Anonymous

I must admit that it does look like a good addition for FL. I went there a few years back (before or the ride reshuffling took place!) and it is a good little park. It's nice to see that they are pumping some money back into it now though.

I think the reason why it works so well is that they install simple rides and give them simple theming. For example, an SLC, Frisbee and their Shoot The Cutes, all simple ride concepts with just a hint of external theming make them work really well.

It really is a little gem of a park with a good combination of rides, well worth a visit!

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Nice to see something new and a bit different coming to the UK. I'll be interested to see how this thing turns out.

The only bad points are that it means next year I'll have to go back to Flamingoland which I don't rate that highly as a park, and those stupid S&S restraints will be on the ride!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Joey said:
Ultimate Coaster said:

Yeah, given the things that are often said about Velocity and Kumali, I think they’ve got a bit longer to go even after a wooden coaster…
It's the Thorpe-of-the-North. The speed of it's advances is astounding.

I really don't like that "Thorpe of the North" comparison because it isn't Flamingoland has a zoo and a lot of family freidnly rides - in a way it's more of a "Chessie of the North".

Also, the atmosphere at FL is a lot different to Thorpe.

The only way I can really agree with that comparision is the fact that both parks advanced themselves quite quickly.

marc

CF Legend
Rob said:
This, in my eyes is a bad decision. The ride type look aweful, and if the Screamin' Squirrels are anything to go by, will be just that.

The rest of the layout will no doubt feature those aweful looking outside banked turns, god knows what else. That said i'm sure the GP will like the looks of it, and probably rush over to ride it.

Personally prefer the look of SAW.

Oh, and just to make a point:

It may well be forwards thinking, and yes, it has a marketing point, but would you not rather have a quality ride type that is manufactured by someone who is known to produce top quality coasters which provide a smooth comfortable and good ride? As I say, I'm basing my opinion on looks and the Squirrel experience, but I'd much rather see a Woodie, Screamin' Swing, Mega Lite, Eurofighter, whatever over one of these....

A Eurofighter is not a top quality ride in my view, they are good for small parks that can not afford a B&M for example, or a park that needs an average coaster with a small foot print eg Southend. They are not smooth and they do not give a comfortable ride. Have you been on one yet?

SnS have produced some quality rides I would say they are bigger than the company that makes the Eurofighter.

I have to agree with Ian, Thorpe and Flamingo Land can not be compaird in any shape or form.