What's new

"Mumbo Jumbo" - S&S El Loco for Flamingo Land

In Thorpes case I would say money, they have taken a coaster that was meant for a different park a family park. So rather than spend more money on a different coaster they took the one from Chesington.

It could mean that the money they saved gets spent at Alton which I guess is ok.

As you say though UC its a family coaster, but Saw is not being themed for a family as Furie has said.

I think Thorpe just looked for a coaster type that could do a lot - and Eurofighters fit that bill and they are insainly cheap for what you're getting.

And Flamingoland are doing exacly the same.

If it wasn't for all the issues Thorpe has had with S&S, It's not unrealistic to think they might have looked at an El Loco.

I do not think it is any coincidence that pre-Merlin that what is now Saw was heavily rumoured to be a B&M flyer though, UC.

I think Merlin's ethos is different and they'd rather invest their cash in the theming of Saw.

I struggle to see the point from the parks perspective of investing in a B&M... I can't see what the park is getting in return for a hell of a lot more money other than a spotless H&S record and good reliability. If these things mattered for Thorpe once, why not the other 3 times for their major coasters?

Ultimate Coaster said:
I do not think it is any coincidence that pre-Merlin that what is now Saw was heavily rumoured to be a B&M flyer though, UC.

And a B&M floorless...AND a wooden coaster...AND the mini-hyper thing...

Seriously, if I had a dollar for every time some "rumored" coaster type that "Source A" has "credible information/plans/footer pictures" of, I'd be running my own park by now.
The wooden coaster and the mini-hyper, if I recall correctly, were mere "it would suite" speculations from fans. That's different to the type of rumour we're disgussing.

I think Merlin's ethos is different and they'd rather invest their cash in the theming of Saw.

I think you're putting alot of presumption into the quality of Saw's theming.
I'm making an observation of Merlin's previous work and the themeing visually described in the plans. Yes, it's assuming, but it's not uninformed. Pointing out that Stealth's plans showed greater themeing isn't entirely relevant, because this is a different company at the wheel who may enforce an effect on the way this goes. We just don't know.

I struggle to see the point from the parks perspective of investing in a B&M... I can't see what the park is getting in return for a hell of a lot more money other than a spotless H&S record and good reliability. If these things mattered for Thorpe once, why not the other 3 times for their major coasters?

-Colossus got them a record using an almost pre-built ride. Cheap, and required restraint changes. It's reputation speaks for itself.

-Stealth offers a ride type that isn't offered by B&M. It's obvious here that Thorpe was going for the "Kingda Ka/TTD of Europe" - get a tall and fast ride for the sake of having a tall and fast ride. Layout, reliability, and theming factors are, for the large part, irrelevent.

-SAW is a rather cheap ride type that has the potential to be themed much easier than a B&M. It also allows a wider range of people to ride it, assuming the theme is not too gruesome (which I don't believe it is). It's also a ride type that is fairly quickly put up and doesn't require alot of space or planning.
So what is your point argument? That B&M are entirely pointless from the park's perspective?

Erm, guys i'm loving the discussion and everything, there are some great points flying around, but can you move it over into the actual Saw topic, since this whole page has absolutely no reference to the ride coming to Flamingoland.

Yeh, we're not talking about Thorpe, and I don't see how the specualtions of what Saw could have been is related to the El Loco for Flamingo Land, as this was totally unexpected really, the only speculation there was for Flamingo Land was a wooden coaster for 2010, but for some reason, everything has to be wooden these days, we have had specualtions for a wooden coaster for: Flamingo Land, Alton and Thorpe!

In an attempt to bring the topic back to the El Loco... I read people earlier saying they think this will be a custom layout but I would like to point out the timeframe they are working on here. I think with about 5 months until opening and no ground broken yet, we are highly likely to see a Steel Hawg clone. That said, it is the second of its type so there might be a little tweaking.

^ What if they had been planning it for ages, but they just hadn't released any information to the public?

Is this possible?

I guess it's possible, but not really flamingoland's style to be honest. And you would expect some ground work at least, even if the design/layout was brand new and they just finished it. Also there is the whole name thing... you don't plan a ride for months and then release it with no name!
I'm afraid it's a clone, but that's fine, it's not like anyone in Yorkshire has ever been to Indiana anyway...

^Steel Hawg 2: The ride ;)

Yet worse, in all caps.

I can see this contraption be quite popular, as it doesn't look like anything you have in England (save for Margaret Thatcher back in the days). It will also strenghten the stereoytipical image of coasters being a mess of twisty track, put together in the way the assembly crew feel like.

That inclined zero-G looks lush, though, if they include one. As you're accelerating and going downwards, upside down, it'll propably give a quite unique ride experience.

If Ride Guide is to be believed, this ride will be 120 feet tall, and Steel Hawg is 96 feet tall, suggesting it won't be a clone. I'm sure S&S will have more than one off-the-shelf model available to parks if this is a quick decision on Flamingoland's part.

Ultimate Coaster said:
So what is your point argument? That B&M are entirely pointless from the park's perspective?

Of course not. There are many advantages to getting B&M coasters - when one fits within the scope of what you're trying to build.

Again, B&M wasn't going to give you an inversion-record-breaking looper based on a pre-built design in a small footprint for a rather small price tag.

B&M also isn't going to give you a large launched coaster based on height and speed.

B&M also isn't going to give you a ride that is rather cheap, but at the same time, can be themed easily and potentially extend your target audience beyond what a B&M height restriction could afford.
I thought that was all fairly obvious, I'm not sure what you're struggling to understand.

Thus, this ride type is perfect for Flamingoland, because it offers a rather small footprint for a ride that does some unique things for the area and won't break their wallets either. The reason for the choice here is rather obvious.
I ask you if B&M are entirely pointless, and you reply with "no" and then a list of things they won't/don't/aren't practical for...? If it's not cost and "getting what you payed for" why do parks purchase rides from a company that offer little or nothing that a cheaper company cannot provide?

Another thing I'm baffled by is what you're getting at - you can't have a go at me for my presumptions on themeing and then quote it as a benefit of getting a Eurofighter to back your argument that cost isn't everything. Talk about picking and choosing when material is relevant.

And this differs from most of the rumors you're mentioning how...?
Consistancy, mostly. Rumours with substance that keep reaccuring over and over. I'm fairly certain that the moment I saw Piraten, I said "Wow, I wish Thorpe would get one of these!" That's a whole lot different to plans which show Air's layout and constant murmuring about such a thing from park staff.

Key phrase noted to make my point seem more clear to you.
I said, in response to you assuming why a park may have chosen a cheaper ride type over another, that I think Merlin intend to push their money into Saw's themeing... You then tell me that im putting too much presumption on the quality of Saw's themeing. Then you tell me that being easier to theme efficiently is a reason Merlin went for a Eurofighter.

You don't have a point, or if you did, it's got entirely lost in arguing for the sake of it and you're just confusing yourself now.

Mark and some other people said:
Erm, guys i'm loving the discussion and everything, there are some great points flying around, but can you move it over into the actual Saw topic, since this whole page has absolutely no reference to the ride coming to Flamingoland.
It has everything to do with Flamingoland's new ride. Saw is being used as an example in evidence that well off parks do buy cheap rides - which is in defence of the cheap and cheerful El Loco after people criticised the park for their lacking ride quality.

^^No, it wont be that, it doesnt have said 125* drop.

But god, that layout looks awful, it doesnt look to be any fun at all, I don't understand how people can enjoy hangtime? Its just uncomfortable.

I think it looks very god and I can not wait to ride it tbh. As I said before a new type of coaster for me. Something to get my adrenalin going thats for sure.

I am so loving the look of that outer-banking corner straight into the half loop bit. I can imagine that this ride is going to feel totally wrong and against all the laws of coasters when ridden.

Besides the possiblity of a pain factor my main concern would it seeming a little too along on the lines of a wild mouse in terms of the slow movement and so on.

Well only time will tell! I look forward to seeing some actual construction.