What's new

Manta- B&M Flyer for SWO opening May 22

Brookes

Giga Poster
11-14-03.jpg

Is it just me or is there a support right in the middle of the shot holding up absolutely nothing? I must be seeing it wrong. :?

EDIT: After looking at the layout, I realise I think it might be there for later in the ride. But I'm not sure.

jokerman

Giga Poster
I highly doubt it's another inversion. It's twisting alot because it's a very tight turn...look at the layout.

I thought it probably wasn't. I'm looking for things that aren't there, solving this mystery of the extra inversion.

A

Anonymous

quicker than some parks

its a lot quicker than some three weeks and they got the lift is pretty good it takes great america a good year to build a roller coaster the dark knight for example started construction in early september wasn't finished until late may.

SnooSnoo said:
Well.. they aren't exactly seem to be flying through the construction.. as they've gone through just the lift hill and drop in what.. 3 weeks? They have a lot more to go.

Nice update though Mike.

theRock-steel

Mega Poster
If you look on Screamscape under Manta and 11/6/08 you will be able to click on the original JohnnyUpsidedown layout poster at the work site. You can enlarge that picture. When you look at all the turns just to the right of the pretzel loop, you will see lines on the track (like it is twisted). There is not a real good place to label anything because this part is largely rounded. This would seem to be a place for the mystery 4th inversion. If you look on youtube and watch "Manta - 2009 Sea World", there seems to be an inversion at this same spot.

Slash

Giga Poster
^ yes but that idiot didn't even complete the pretzel loop so don't count on his opinion. Although I would really love to know where this magical 4th inversion is.

Lofty

CF Legend
I would laugh now if this'4th Inversion' actualy just become another turn lol!

It may just be a highly banked forceful turn?

Goliath123

Mega Poster
Looks good, seeing iv'e alreadu ridden it.....

Last night's dream was that i was at the park and it was testing like how in RCT3 you can test before you finish the ride so i got on with my bro and it was good.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
UC dont take it personally. I thought the same as you.
And does your entire post need to just be an insulting rant? seems like a simple acknowledgement would of worked just fine, while pointing out why.

There was no need for
taking the picture out of Rollerdude's post (since that's the only thing worth noting from him)

. I'm glad you're capable of looking at a picture and posting it to a website, but your posting capability still leaves A LOT to be desired.
Thats just insulting someone for the hell of it

Anyway onto the topic at hand. I must say im surprised and glad to see the 4th inversion there. I was still hoping for the ever rumoured Flyer Dive Loop to show up before we saw the layout. But this will do :)

wash

Mega Poster
Well, my opinion of this ride just went up a little. :)

As for the speed the speed of the train going through the in-line twist, I wouldn't expect much. In-line twist on B&M flyers tend to be taken on a little sluggishly, and considering how high up this one is compared to the pretzel loop it will probably be the same. However, after turning around the ride will enter another in-line twist which seems to be considerably lower and may be taken on slightly faster:

mantarx7.jpg

But until the ride actually runs, this is all just speculation.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Fair enough UC maybe it was unfair pointing it directly at you and i apologise. But either way your post was part of my point and it still stands. to Rollerdude, yourself and anyone else who feels the need to bicker.

Don't get me wrong. heated debate is fine and healthy for a forum. But there's a definite line between a debate and insulting people.

theRock-steel

Mega Poster
wash said:
Well, my opinion of this ride just went up a little. :)

As for the speed the speed of the train going through the in-line twist, I wouldn't expect much. In-line twist on B&M flyers tend to be taken on a little sluggishly, and considering how high up this one is compared to the pretzel loop it will probably be the same. However, after turning around the ride will enter another in-line twist which seems to be considerably lower and may be taken on slightly faster:

But until the ride actually runs, this is all just speculation.
At the bottom of the johnnyupsidedown picture after the one you used, there are supports just a few meters off the ground. The rack needs to drop quite a bit while making a pretty good turn. That's great! Unless we are going to go up again before entering the “inline twist”, this might be done at a good speed. Unfortunately, we don't know from the layout picture how high the ride is at this point. We do know that there is another fly-by over a walk way (great) and there are buildings to go over AFTER the spin. My guess is that we should be moving fairly well because there is more straight track on the second half of the ride. That would be boring if we weren't moving right along. I think that this ride will be anything but boring! 8)

UC, I don't think that we will know until it's built what type of "twiist", "roll", or "spin" we will be facing here. I think that it is clear by now that they don't WANT us to know too much.

A

Anonymous

The whole turnaround is now complete, pictures at http://www.johnnyupsidedown.com/manta0.html

The only thing I think is a bit of a bummer, is that they have added an inversion on every left-right/right-left direction change, I think that it would have been pretty cool to have a non-inverting sharp transition high up. It would really add to the sensation of flying.