What's new

Manta- B&M Flyer for SWO opening May 22

TarkaTrax

Mega Poster
^I don't think that part fits with Air at all. It's supposed to be all nice and relaxing and floaty, but the corner on your back is suprisingly intense (to me), and is also rather rattly. It also forces me to close my eyes on a sunny day, so all-in-all it's not very relaxing. I think there's a good reason B&M haven't repeated it.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
^I think they don't know the difference. On my on-ride photo I bought when I rode Kraken, it had a little information section on the back that said 'seven loops' instead of inversions.

Another reason for the MCBR could be that they'll be running three trains. You can see the three different tracks in the maintenance shed in this picture:

sw217a.jpg

A

Anonymous

rollerdude said:
Another reason for the MCBR could be that they'll be running three trains. You can see the three different tracks in the maintenance shed in this picture:
They run can run 3 trains on: Air, Tatsu and one of the Superman clones have 3 trains and can run them all without the MCBR. It's thanks to the Dual loading station instead. My guess on why they have a MCBR is that (as have been mentioned earlier) to trim the train to go through the wing dip at the right speed.

^ Yeah about the Inversions, everyone is talking about 4, but I can only count 3 on the "layout picture". Either it's a miscalculation from their part or just a bad image. But hey Tusenfryd boasted that Speed Monster would have 4 inversions, but in the end it got 3...

Mike T

Mega Poster
I believe there's a barrel roll right after the threaded pretzel loop turn - that wasn't mentioned on the bulletin board. But the truth will be told as construction progresses.

A

Anonymous

^ I though that the turnaround after the pretzel would be an "egg-turn" so it wouldn't be a barrel roll in between there, and to me it looks like a normal transition from left to right.

Mike T

Mega Poster
You just provided a great example of why looking at an overhead shot of the ride's path isn't a good judgment tool to be using to predict if the ride is going to suck or not. Your interpretation is completely different than mine is - and depending on who's more accurate will determine the dynamics of the ride. Elevation changes play a very very important role, if not more so than directional changes.

wash

Mega Poster
Well, according to Six Flags there are two inversions in this picture:

p104.jpg

And according to Cedar Fair, Nighthawk has eight inversions. Parks exaggerate.

Also to be considered, Behemoth's press release stated it would have an 85* drop when in reality it has a 75* drop. The park acknowledges the actual angle of the drop; the angle given in the press release was a simple error. The same may be true for Manta's stated number of inversions.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
loefet said:
rollerdude said:
They run can run 3 trains on: Air, Tatsu and one of the Superman clones have 3 trains and can run them all without the MCBR. It's thanks to the Dual loading station instead. My guess on why they have a MCBR is that (as have been mentioned earlier) to trim the train to go through the wing dip at the right speed.

^ Yeah about the Inversions, everyone is talking about 4, but I can only count 3 on the "layout picture". Either it's a miscalculation from their part or just a bad image. But hey Tusenfryd boasted that Speed Monster would have 4 inversions, but in the end it got 3...

I know that Tatsu runs three trains, but they have an extra brake run inbetween the final brakes and the transfer track. Also, I thought they only ran two trains on that one S:UF clone, but rotated them. I'm probably wrong though. Lastly, Speed Monster was originally supposed to have two corkscrews, but the design was changed. I remember seeing CGI blueprints showing the heartline on TPR.

Mike T

Mega Poster
Like I've said before, the only way I could see them completing 4 inversions with this coaster is if the ride was like this:

sw292a.jpg

Otherwise, I think the park made a big mistake with their press release by putting out wrong information back in May. I understand that things change on occasion, but if things were still being amended back in May, they should of waited to release statistics.

A

Anonymous

^ It's more likely that they have counted the overbank as an inversion, since you can see that the spine of the track (on where you have painted your line) goes from a left to a right turn.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry I haven't had the time to post these sooner, but here are the photos I took last week:
First view upon park entry
SWManta1.jpg

Train storage building
SWManta2.jpg

Construction site overview
SWManta3.jpg

SWManta4.jpg

This photo gives an idea of the scale of the coaster
SWManta5.jpg

Views from the opposite side of the construction site (near the new Harry Potter building site)
SWManta6.jpg

SWManta7.jpg

SWManta8.jpg

Another view
SWManta9.jpg

Views from the observation tower
SWManta14.jpg

Site overview
SWManta12.jpg

Close up
SWManta11.jpg

Scale shot
SWManta13.jpg

theRock-steel

Mega Poster
You should all know that youtube.com has a POV/RCT3 showing that Manta will clearly have FOUR inversions.
It shows the MCBR before a pretty good drop and the last inversion. I don't think that is bad. All of the big sit down B&M's in Florida have MCBR's and I don't hear anyone complaining about them (Hulk, Kraken, Kumba).
I think that is normal to have one before a small drop and loop to slow down the speed so we don't have head or neck pain. I wish some of the Arrow's or Vekoma's were as concerned for our comfort.

A

Anonymous

^ You mean this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leug1VMAtLU ?
That video is a fan-recreation that are based on rumors and the initial artwork released at the time, so not an official version at all.

Lance at Screamscape said:
I’ve also got an update about Manta’s layout. From what our sources tell us, the part about the lift hill heading towards Blue Horizons is right, but the first drop will actually turn around to the right and head right for the Pretzel Loop, where the bottom appears as if it may be set down in a small trench. From here it will make a very tight left turn and head into that overbanked Horseshoe Turn I have previously mentioned. From here it will make a run past the station, through the zero-g-roll before turning slightly to the right and into the mid-course brake. What follows is pretty much what you see in the artwork, a dive into the water for the splashdown turn followed by a flat-spin. Exiting this last inversion the train will bring the riders down low… very close to the water’s surface before it hits the brake run. I’ve also been told that we can expect to see a dual sided loading station on this one.
It's exactly the same as the overview layout picture at the site:

sw292a.jpg

Which means that the so called 4:th inversion must be the Overbanked "Egg-turn". (Or if they are really stupid then they count the Pretzel as 2.)

jokerman

Giga Poster
Is that the start of another inversion, the track is certainly twisting quite a lot. Maybe I'm just looking for things that aren't there.

Mark

Strata Poster
East Coast(er) General said:
Views from the opposite side of the construction site (near the new Harry Potter building site)
SWManta6.jpg

Harry Potter building site? Is that a typo or am I getting my geography round my neck?

However, fantastic photos and it is good to see the progress on this coaster is coming along nicely. Im not the biggest fan of flyers tbh. The pretzel loop normally just gives me a headache. But this coaster makes up for it as it looks a really nice colour and will gleam in the Orlando sun. Im also intriqued about the whole aquarium tank thing.

Cheers for the update!