What's new

Manta- B&M Flyer for SWO opening May 22

TarkaTrax

Mega Poster
I don't really see how it's going to suck. People always moan about the turns on S:UF being the boring bits, so minus those, chuck in a wingover and the splashdown and good landscaping and I think it'll be pretty good, better than the Supermen and Air I'd guess. Hardly terrible.

Ben

CF Legend
^Because remove the turns... and you have nothing.

So it's drop. Pretzel (which will be good). Turn (bad). Inline (hardly amazing). Brakes (YAY!). Turn over water (kill me by this point). Flat spin (hardly amazing). Turn. End.

Wow. Just. Wow. But, it's arse will be licked.

TarkaTrax

Mega Poster
^The only problem I can see is it's a bit short, and I don't like the thought of it having (or really needing) a MCBR.

Have people's expectations been raised a bit too much by Tatsu maybe? Not sure, maybe I'm not disappointed because I was never expecting anything more than a Superman-type ride.

Oh and by the way, they'd have a tricky time making a flyer with no turns at all! :lol:

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I don't see how it can be compared to S:UF. This has more an extra inversion, a different layout, theming, crowd interaction, wildlife interaction, and fake terrain(waterfall, lake, rocks, etc). One Superman clone is over grass, another is over dead grass, and the last one actually has terrain. In my opinion, you're going to be too distracted by the interaction to notice how 'boring' the turns or inversions will be.

Here's more pics:

sw291a.jpg

sw300a.jpg

Ben

CF Legend
Ben, I'm not sure why you're complaining about this...is this the same Ben that thinks/thought that that "Jet Ski Rescue" thing looks so good...?

Thought. Yes.

Around the time we had the conversation together where we both agreed that looked cool. Remember that?

marc

CF Legend
This might seem like a stupid question, but does anyone know if this is a near enough silent coaster like Kraken? I have to be honest I feel the last of sound does affect the ride experience

Comet

Roller Poster
I actually really like the layout.
The turns right after the pretzel actually look kinda fun, it seems like you don't stop flipping from back to belly until the MCBR.

Then at least they'll make the other turns interesting with water effects.
And other then that the Pretzel, drop, first and in-lines are all pretty fun from my experiences with them.

I don't see where the complaining is coming from besides the pointless MCBR, which I'd be fine with if they can get three trains running succesfully with it.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
^ I agree. Although the MCBR does seem a little out of place, the fact it has a dual station and the MCBR, the throughput will be excellent!

Also, the MCBR may not even slow it down that much, we'll have to wait and see!

Ben

CF Legend
You mean the conversation where I said the transitions look really cool - a fact which is still pretty much indisputed - but that I hoped the rest of the ride would deliver (which it clearly did not)?

Yes. That one. I wonder if you then remember the one where I said the rest of the ride, in fact, looked disappointing?

It's disappointing because it does nothing exciting. For me at least. Tatsu was interesting. This, is not.

PLCP

Mega Poster
I think it'll give the effect it seems to be intended for: flying. Its not meant to be intense, but its meant to be flying like a Manta, who don't have sharp turns and intense...stuff. This coaster will do everything that it said it would do, while interacting with its enviornment, theming, and the crowds. What's wrong with that?

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Patrick's right. You're supposed to mimic flying or gliding. Like I said earlier, you're going to be too distracted by the interaction to realize that the forces aren't that strong. You're going to think "hey look at those stingrays down there" and then you'll be sitting in the brakes thinking "I didn't even pay attention to how forceful the ride was".

Another reason why the Superman comparison doesn't work is because the drop and pretzel loop are the best part of the ride. Here, the drop is steeper, and the pretzel loop I can only imagine is just like a Superman clone. It was one of the most forceful inversions I've been in, and I don't see why it wouldn't be here.

Gazza

Giga Poster
So it's drop. Pretzel (which will be good). Turn (bad). Inline (hardly amazing). Brakes (YAY!). Turn over water (kill me by this point). Flat spin (hardly amazing). Turn. End.

Wow. Just. Wow. But, it's arse will be licked.

I'm unsure why turns on a ride are a bad thing....It wouldn't be physically possible for a layout to work without turns, plus turns are sort of a necessary thing to round out the layout properly (since some time does need to be spent actually flying)

Mark

Strata Poster
Ultimate Coaster said:
Also, regarding the MCBR...perhaps its inclusion had more to do with the possibility that this ride WILL actually touch the water than anything else...? They would need to make sure, if that was the case, that it wasn't slamming into the water at too high a speed, especially since only one side of the train would actually touch...

Sounds about right to me about why they would include one.

In terms of the water thing and I could be way off here, could it be like on Sheikra which I presume has some larger "fins" on the outside of the train which spray the water upwards? (Or am I compeltely wrong and it is all just fountains or something lame like that?)

If it is "fins" would it be possible to addapt them to work on a flyer? Im just trying to think how to do it without soaking the riders on the latter half of the train.

theRock-steel

Mega Poster
Will everyone look at rcdb.
Air --
Length: 2755'
Height: 65' 7"
Inversions: 2
Duration: 1:40

Manta --
Length: 3359'
Height: 140'
Inversions: 4
Duration: 2:35

Superman (SFGAV) --
Length: 2759'
Height: 106'
Inversions: 2
Duration: 2:06

Tatsu --
Length: 3602'
Height: 170'
Inversions: 4

All of these rides are different from one another. In order of thrilling: Tatsu, Manta, Superman, Air. SeaWorld is 1/2 hour from my house. I have an annual pass. Kraken is my favorite ride in Florida. Wouldn't it be great if the same park had my 3rd or 4th favorite in the state ? I'm all excited ! 8)