What's new

Magic Kingdom | 7 Dwarfs Mine Train Coaster | Vekoma/Disney

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Re: Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Coaster - Magic Kingdom (WDW)

rollermonkey said:
Gazza said:
rollermonkey said:
mean, that's three years and these guys have a bit more capital than some family-owned cable-car operator in New Zealand.
Orphan Rocker ain't in NZ bud.

My fault. I mis-remembered New South Wales as New Zealand. The closest I've been to either is Darwin, Australia.

The point that I was making is still valid, regardless of location south of the equator. The Mouse has the money to force the issue and make this work.

The mouse also has the bottom line which is more important to them than quality. This has become clear to fan's of Disney's parks since Iger took over and even towards the end of Eisners Run.

SO don't expect too much. You will just get disappointed.

peep

CF Legend

^I'm not sure what you're expecting from this then but have you not seen the latest additions to Disney parks this year? The quality of their new attractions is outstanding. This ride will be fun for the whole family, that's the point, it won't be a mega thrill or anything because that is not the intention. There is a reason Disney will be taking about 2 years to build this coaster, which when you consider the size of the attraction (it's quite small), it's ridiculous.

Btw, construction seems to be coming along at a steady pace with more metal structures going up all the time.

Lofty

CF Legend

^ I'm with you Peep.

Joey, I don't understand why you're being negative towards people who are excited about this coaster, at the end of the day, it's going to be a good attraction, families are going to love it. It's that simple.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

It's nothing towards the people looking forward to the people to the ride. It's the fact that disney is cutting more and more corners in quality to increase the bottom line. It may be less visible in the attractions but its very visible if you look at food and merchandise. Not to mention the fact that Disney has announced huge spending cut's for it's parks even thought attendance and profits are increasing to numbers from the mid 2000's.

The ride will be fine but I just worry for the parks future as a whole. ESPECIALLY in the US

Lofty

CF Legend

Well, at the end of the day, if it's not visible in the Ride Sector, why are you trying to tell people "Not to expect much", then they're referring to the coaster.

marc

CF Legend
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Coaster - Magic Kingdom (WDW)

Really confused by this.

Over the past 3 years Disney have spent more on their parks than ever before.

Total redo of California adventure with a new land.

Massive rehab work in the main park.

Orlando the same plus the expansion of animal kingdom.

Not sure where the cuts are tbh.

As for food and merchandise it's the same quality it's always been.

This coaster was always going to be a family coaster, people look forward to it as its new and looks fun. Get fed up with people going to Disney for a credit run when none of the Disney parks are for this. If you want big coasters then don't go to a Disney park.

I just find their coasters fun, I take them for what they are. I'm looking forward to it simply as its a new type of coaster for me, and the theming looks fantastic.

Ethan

Strata Poster

Plus aren't they building that dark ride in Paris? That will cost a bomb, too...

marc

CF Legend

Enough said about that the better lol. They are totally different budgets anyway.

Orlando and California come from Disney direct the rest of the parks are paid for by governments or companies that run the parks.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

^Exactly. Also there is a large dispute on Disney forums on whether Avatarland will happen. Apparently Cameron want's to much contol to make everything right but disney doesn't want that since it means more money for them to spend.

As for saying Don't expect to much, I was more trying to point out it's not gonna be a thrill machine. I take the blame for not being clear on that.

In terms of spending they made carsland because California's Adventure's visitors have been steadily dropping off.

marc

CF Legend

Yes but you did say they cut budgets and spending and they spent loads so was just saying.

It's not just cars land they built, they changed near enough the whole park. They re tracked BTM, and are doing up other rides. California was a disaster but by spending and doing World of Colour they have turned it around. Attendance was already up before cars land opened.

They are filming a new version of soarin, they are re theming test track they have just totally reprinted main street.

They have probably spent more money in the past 3 years than all over companies have spent put together.

You cannot expect the same investment year after year. It will probably be 5 years before they get anything new.

Everyone knows this coaster is not a thrill coaster, but people don't care. As said you don't expect a thrill coaster in an area that's built for families and in a park that is.

I will be more than happy for avatar to be pulled, no one I know wants it. It was a bad idea to start with, Disney don't need movie tie ins with films that are not theirs.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

^So you don't like star tours either?

Still They are updating Thunder mountain and test track because NONE of the effects were working. Last summer I rode test track 18 times when I was there. Not ONE car had a working screen or audio. It was is AWFUL shape. BTMRR was in the same boat. They spent money because they neglected their rides for years.

Either way They have said they are done spending money for quite some time so enjoy the new things that come and we'll see what it's like some years down the road. Not much else we can do.

Lofty

CF Legend

Youngster Joey said:
Still They are updating Thunder mountain and test track because NONE of the effects were working. Last summer I rode test track 18 times when I was there. Not ONE car had a working screen or audio. It was is AWFUL shape. BTMRR was in the same boat. They spent money because they neglected their rides for years.

Either way They have said they are done spending money for quite some time so enjoy the new things that come and we'll see what it's like some years down the road. Not much else we can do.
Yes, but I think the thing you're not getting is the fact that they ARE not spending the money. They're doing it all to improve their parks. So it's VERY contradictory to say they're not spending much money on their parks, then saying they're improving rides.

marc

CF Legend

Yep that's the point I was trying to make as well.

How anyone can expect them to spend 50 million over the next 5 years is asking too much, and tbh it's not needed as they are doing everything now.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

Lofty said:
Youngster Joey said:

Yes, but I think the thing you're not getting is the fact that they ARE not spending the money. They're doing it all to improve their parks. So it's VERY contradictory to say they're not spending much money on their parks, then saying they're improving rides.

I agree they are spending money but after the already announced avatarland they are done. The point I'm trying to get across is they don't have to spend money on the non-US parks (or at least very minimal amounts).

So the money they have spent for projects is great but all they are doing is adding things to parks that had millions of millions of dollars cut from the original budget.

Also to whoever mentioned the new soarin' video, it is just a rumor at this point.

marc

CF Legend

It is but a strong one as they have been seem filming with 3d cameras.

Once complete Paris are meant to be getting it as well.

Also we don't know if budgets were cut as we don't know what the budget was. Disney forums are like the worst for stories like that.

peep

CF Legend

Lol, I get the feeling this conversation may go round in circles.

^HA, so funny, there have been so many rumours/announcements for Paris in the past year or so I think all the fans have forgotten that it was always meant to have Soarin in the Studios park.

WDW Magic posted the other day some aerial pics of New Fantasyland, you can get a good idea of the size/scale for this coaster.

WDW Magic

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

marc said:
It is but a strong one as they have been seem filming with 3d cameras.

Once complete Paris are meant to be getting it as well.

Also we don't know if budgets were cut as we don't know what the budget was. Disney forums are like the worst for stories like that.

Disney actually did announce an avatar land budget. I think it was 500 million for but I can't remember.

Either way we'll just have to agree to disagree.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Oh, please. Disney will never be "done" with the US parks. Joey, I don't know why you're so down on the Mouse, but, they've spent more than 3 billion dollars on the parks and that sector in the past few years. From the DCA reboot to the new hotels at WDW, the Fantasyland expansion and two new ships and on and on and on.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

^well the ships mean nothing for the parks but my largest issue is they keep building things that they a) don't need b) make up for a prior mistake or budget cut. Or c) parks that really need updating being neglected for parks that are always full.

In the a category is the hotels. They are not even filling the hotels they have now so why do they feel the need to build more? Just wasted money especially in the economy when less people have the time or money to take a 4 or more day trip.

Under the b category we cars land and avatar land.

Both being built at parks that had their budgets slashed. Both parks we're rushed and in most places just poor parks. Had they spent what they originally said and not slashed the budget they could spend money on the neglected parks.

C) fantasyland Expansion is my case In point. MGM (or whatever they call it now) and Epcot ( especially the world showcase). Really need some love. I believe the las rides put in both parks were copies of rides at Disneyland. World showcase really needs some love it's pretty run down. Yes test track is being refurbed but when none of the effects or even the video has worked in years it was necessary as the parks premier thrill ride.

I love what Disney does for rides when they keep everything working but recently it's even more about the bottom line. Walt didn't care about the bottom line he wanted quality. I just can't say that about the mouse anymore.

Robbie

Hyper Poster

Youngster Joey said:
Under the b category we cars land and avatar land.

Both being built at parks that had their budgets slashed. Both parks we're rushed and in most places just poor parks
Are you saying, already, that Avatar Land is a poor park? How do you know? And Cars Land looks pretty good to most people.