What's new

Kings Island | Banshee | B&M Invert

johhnyD1498

Mega Poster
Re: Kings Island 2014 Roller Coaster

Hyde244 said:
Need I remind everyone that this is Cedar Fair - a company that exclusively goes with GCI for its wooden coasters.

Not Gravity Group, not RMC; GCI.

The smart money will still remain on a B&M or Intamin creation.

Yes, they will probably either make something new or relocate something else...

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

No, not exactly what I was getting at.

What I meant is we are pulling this whole 300 ft. wooden coaster discussion out of our asses. :lol:

Use it to pass the time, but don't put any real weight into it being a real possibility.

johhnyD1498

Mega Poster

Hyde244 said:
What I meant is we are pulling this whole 300 ft. wooden coaster discussion out of our asses. :lol:

I guess it was kind of random :lol: :lol: :lol:

When i said relocate something, I was joking about Dominator

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

I didn't think anyone was taking the wooden Giga talk as a legitimate possibility...

rcjp

Roller Poster

^
It really would be great. I have always wondered why B&M never built a hyper coaster with inversions.
It looks like that the tallest they'll go is around 200 ft with their dive machines. But it would really be awesome to have a hyper invert or floorless.

_koppen

Hyper Poster

rcjp said:
^
It really would be great. I have always wondered why B&M never built a hyper coaster with inversions.

Return on investment.

Why invest in a huge looping coaster when you will get the same kind of return with a regular 150 feet one (that is still plenty big).

If you are going to cough up the dough for a 200+ feet kind of ride, you want it to be accessible to as many of the guest as possible, and putting loops on it will ruin that. Only exception I can think of are, as you mentioned, the dive machines.

rollermonkey said:
B&M Hyper Invert FTW

If they were to have an online voting about the decision this would probably get mine.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

rcjp said:
^
It looks like that the tallest they'll go is around 200 ft with their dive machines. But it would really be awesome to have a hyper invert or floorless.

Well Leviathan...

Still, B&M do make quality rides.

madhjsp

Giga Poster

I know that it's a silly hypothetical in the first place, but to those of you who said you'd love a hyper invert... why on earth would that be fun? In fact, I can't imagine a more effective way to ruin a good hyper layout than to make it an inverted coaster. No visibility past the front row, and OTSRs that restrict all the upper-body freedom that defines that ride style & kill anything resembling proper levels of airtime.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

_koppen said:
Why invest in a huge looping coaster when you will get the same kind of return with a regular 150 feet one (that is still plenty big).

I'm not an engineer, but... ;) :p

Wouldn't an invert at great height be more costly than a sit down at great height? You need to "hang" the track off the supports, so you can't put a direct pressure on the support foundations from the bottom of the track, so you'd need more and beefier supports? It makes sense in my head anyway :lol:

Though...

madhjsp said:
I know that it's a silly hypothetical in the first place, but to those of you who said you'd love a hyper invert... why on earth would that be fun? In fact, I can't imagine a more effective way to ruin a good hyper layout than to make it an inverted coaster. No visibility past the front row, and OTSRs that restrict all the upper-body freedom that defines that ride style & kill anything resembling proper levels of airtime.

Jubilee Odyssey hung around in my top ten for years like a bad smell for one reason - scale.

The coaster is huge and exposed and a front seat ride on that thing is more terrifying than anything else. When you're so high up with nothing beneath you, and then that SLC drop facing out to the ocean? It's breath taking. The enormous loop too is incredible. It's purely down to the sheer size of the thing though, not because it's a great ride (though the drop is superb).

So there is sense to it, but I guess mainly with it being an SLC and with the two abreast seating it's more exposed than a B&M.

_koppen

Hyper Poster

furie said:
I'm not an engineer, but... ;) :p

Wouldn't an invert at great height be more costly than a sit down at great height? You need to "hang" the track off the supports, so you can't put a direct pressure on the support foundations from the bottom of the track, so you'd need more and beefier supports? It makes sense in my head anyway :lol:

Oh it would be very expensive indeed, I'm just dreaming here :mrgreen:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

I think the hyper inverter stems from a desire to see something "Alpengeist-esque," which already stands 195 ft. tall. Raise the lift hill to an even 200 ft., and it isn't extremely hard to fathom.

I however have a tempered expectation - Cedar Fair's B&M inverters follow a very specific order of elements:

Loop
Zero-G
Immelmann/Cobra Roll
Corkscrew
(optional Corkscrew)
Helix

Cedar Fair has not diverted from this layout design over 4 B&M Inverters and 12 years for a good reason: it is a great layout. They are popular, reliable, and have great capacity.

My top projection for Kings Island is a similar B&M Inverter, which would fill a void in their roller coaster lineup.

johhnyD1498

Mega Poster

Hyde244 said:
I think the hyper inverter stems from a desire to see something "Alpengeist-esque," which already stands 195 ft. tall. Raise the lift hill to an even 200 ft., and it isn't extremely hard to fathom.

Ok, so do a ride bigger, longer, and better then Alpengeist. Shouldn't be too bad, right?

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

Alpengeist in general is great but that cobra roll </3 Plus you can't really have airtime on an invert. Maybe it's just me but when I think of hypers, i think of airtime.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

johhnyD1498 said:
Ok, so do a ride bigger, longer, and better then Alpengeist. Shouldn't be too bad, right?
Hence the parallel question of building a giga coaster, similar to Canada's Wonderland.

kadabrium

Roller Poster

Hyper invert makes even less sense to me than hyper wingrider
especially when B&M uses 4 abreast seat conf that blocks your view of essentially everything.
I still think inverts are only suitable on loopers for this particular reason
And anyway, Kings Island does not need more hypers.

andrus

Giga Poster

rollermonkey said:
B&M Hyper Invert FTW
This is actually not an all too farfetched idea. I remember B&M hinting of a hyper looping coaster might be in the plans for the near future at the IAAPA tradeshow. So maybe well will see a 200 feet looping coaster at Kings Island? Would be pretty cool.

_koppen

Hyper Poster

andrus said:
This is actually not an all too farfetched idea. I remember B&M hinting of a hyper looping coaster might be in the plans for the near future at the IAAPA tradeshow. So maybe well will see a 200 feet looping coaster at Kings Island? Would be pretty cool.

No they did not, he just refused to answer an obvious question, witch we already knew the answer for.