What's new

Kings Island | Banshee | B&M Invert

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Re: Kings Island 2014 Roller Coaster

I'm not saying they should or shouldn't build a giga, just that the fact that diamondback is there shouldn't deter the thought of a potential Giga.

johhnyD1498

Mega Poster

coaster_rider93 said:
Wooden. Giga. Problem sloved.

Problem. Stability. I. don't. know. how. how. stable. it. would. be. and. I. don't. know. what. compnay. would. be. crazy. enough. to. try. it.

BBH

Giga Poster

johhnyD1498 said:
coaster_rider93 said:

Problem. Stability. I. don't. know. how. how. stable. it. would. be. and. I. don't. know. what. compnay. would. be. crazy. enough. to. try. it.
:roll:

Anyway, if it were to happen, it would be years and years and years down the road. The only Hyper Coaster Woodie ever was a huge failure. A giga? Maybe GCI in like, thirty years.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

If you put the top of the lift hill on top of a hill you could have a 300ft drop in probably 5-7 years but for 2014 it's neither here nor there.

Would be interesting to see another Wooden hyper would be tried at KI after how much of a failure SoB was...

johhnyD1498

Mega Poster

Youngster Joey said:
If you put the top of the lift hill on top of a hill you could have a 300ft drop in probably 5-7 years but for 2014 it's neither here nor there.

But i don't really see any hills at KI

Snoo

The Legend

johhnyD1498 said:
coaster_rider93 said:

Are you on your period?

*Ba dum chhh*

_koppen

Hyper Poster

I would say it's pretty safe to assume that Intamin could build you a wooden giga ride today, if you were prepared to cough up the dough.

coaster_rider93

Mega Poster

johhnyD1498 said:
coaster_rider93 said:

Anyways.........it was kind of a joke :roll: But it is something that I believe is definitely possible in the next 10 years

johhnyD1498

Mega Poster

coaster_rider93 said:
Anyways.........it was kind of a joke :roll: But it is something that I believe is definitely possible in the next 10 years

Well, it was a joke that could turn into a reality. Intamin, GCI, or Gravity Group could possibly make ot happen (in a decade), but lets focus on 2014 now, shall we?

BBH

Giga Poster

This would be the one time where Gravity Group's steel structure is an ABSOLUTE necessity, should they build a giga in a decade.

That last page was a humdinger of an off-topic-palooza, but I think for 2014 they'll either get a Medusaesque floorless/looping coaster or a "HOLY **** ing **** !!!!!" flat. Too early to tell at this point, but we'll see where the signs point to.,

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

300 Ft. Wooden Coaster?

Just when you thought 500 ft. Flying Coaster discussions were ridiculous enough. :razz:

bmac

Giga Poster

BBH said:
That last page was a humdinger of an off-topic-palooza, but I think for 2014 they'll either get a Medusaesque floorless/looping coaster or a "HOLY **** ing **** !!!!!" flat. Too early to tell at this point, but we'll see where the signs point to.,

With all that space if they just resort to a flat ride or two I would be extremely disappointed...

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

A Wooden Giga could be possible, but it would have to be quite expensive. The appeal of the current largest woodies (Intamin Prefabs) is that they are built from pre-fabricated frames and track pieces, made out of glue laminated timber (gluam). Unlike traditional planks and wooden beams, gluam consists of several layers of wood glued together, making for some strong and light construction material (it's widely used in modern Norwegian architecture).

640px-Gardermoen_check_in-hall.jpg

Prefabricated gluam elements can be made en masse and assembled into the truss support structures we know and love. The structure largely consists of identical pieces, with customized elements only near the track and possibly in the extra bracing. This drives the cost of the coaster down, giving you lots of height and length for your money.

However, as you go higher, trussing becomes inefficient on its own. You'd need some larger elements to provide reasonable stability and extra strength. Building a gluam support structure to hold up a 90 metre wooden coaster lift hill wouldn't be technically difficult, but you would have to custom make it for the coaster, and forego the traditional framework for larger beams. It would be a beautiful structure, no doubt, but it would become pretty expensive. Huge gluam beams and columns like those required would have to be provided externally, as I doubt the coaster manufacturers would have room or equipment to put them together in their own workshops. It would be a somewhat needless expense for little gain. Economically, they would be better off by going for steel for the lift hill, and that kinda defeats the purpose of a wooden coaster in the first place.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a Hybrid Giga, though. A lifthill not unlike I305 and trusses for the rest of the layout. But keep in mind that Gigas definitely cost very near the absolute maximum amount of money parks are willing to spend on coasters, so they would seek out the most efficient ways to build them. That one huge hill usually costs so much that the rest of the layout is kept as low as possible. The "ideal" layout for a woodie is several big air hils a la Colossus or El Toro, and that is only economically feasible in the size range of the aforementioned coasters.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Need I remind everyone that this is Cedar Fair - a company that exclusively goes with GCI for its wooden coasters.

Not Gravity Group, not RMC; GCI.

The smart money will still remain on a B&M or Intamin creation.