What's new

Kings Island | Banshee | B&M Invert

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Re: Kings Island 2014 Roller Coaster

I know there was a popular line behind Leviathan's development - that Behemoth was seeing an extreme amount of riders.

It is true - B&M Hypers have an obscene RPH (Riders Per Hour) rate, thanks in part to a one piece lap bar restraint. Diamondback is one of the most popular rides at Kings Island, I would say fairly tied with Beast, yet will seemingly never have a line beyond 40 minutes. Why? Fantastic station operations and throughput of riders.

Beast and Vortex on the other hands will have solid lines because of longer station loading procedure (and you know, how **** long Beast is :wink: ).

However, Canada's Wonderland sees THE largest number of visitors per season for a seasonal park. More than Cedar Point, more than SFGAdv, etc. So in a way, it is true; Leviathan was built to accomodate more riders than Behemoth can tackle on its own, due to the sheer fact that Canada's Wonderland sees the most visitors for a regional park overall.

As for the long, winding steel coaster - there is a definite cost to such a plan. Kings Island described the planning phase for Diamondback, and investigated the possibility of having the ride layout go deeper into the woods. The land that Kings Island sits on is a series of gradual ravines that are heavily wooded. The cost of continuing Diamondback to the next ravine would have solidly bumped the cost of Diamondback by an estimated fourth of the cost of the entire ride - a steep cost for gaining a couple hundred feet of track.

This is in part why Diamondback traverses only one ravine (the second drop behind the Crypt) and then turns left to stay on level ground. It is a lot cheaper!

While the Son of Beast plot has been cleared of trees (the area has been used as storage behind SoB, including the formerly famous Paramount trams), the area is situated on a gulch of sorts - a gradual hill that noticeably lowers to an empty creek bed. Flight Deck is built on this same gulch, with its second drop diving down over the creek bed.

Screen%20Shot%202013-02-03%20at%204.03.23%20PM.jpg

It can be a definite geographic advantage to have varied levels of land to build with (See Superman Krypton Coaster at SFFT), but it can also pose disadvantages for having a larger layout and attempting to compensate for the change in altitude.

Regardless, Kings Island absolutely has a large plot to play around with - even more when you take into account the acreage of undeveloped forest also under KI ownership.

gopats1479

Mega Poster

I think that a B&M Invert is in order here. The first thing I said when I saw KI's lineup was "Where's the invert?" They have everything except that, a B&M looper, and a GCI woodie. I just don't see how it could be anything else.

ShadowKI

Roller Poster

I really hope that Kings Island is going to get a B&M Giga or invert. I know that Diamondback is still pretty new, but I'd love to see a nice smooth B&M invert, or at least a 300 foot drop..
Also, the skyline in general just looks a lot less intimidating without SoB, and I think that a Giga or lots of knotted steel would look nice from far away, and feel a lot nicer while riding. :)

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster

I personally hope for a huge Intamin Giga Coaster, tough, I think we could see yet another Wing Coaster from B&M.

ShadowKI

Roller Poster

I could see an Intamin Giga happening... but I don't think that a B&M Winged coaster will happen anytime soon. If KI got one the year after CP it would steal all the thunder...
(If KI's Winged coaster was better than the one at CP then it would draw people away from CP. If KI's Winged coaster was worse than the one at CP then it would probably just look like a waste of money by Cedar Fair. And, if the two were equal, people would get upset at Cedar Fair for copying rides, kinda like Windseeker. Just what I think would happen.)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

It won't be a winged coaster because of how close build time would be to Cedar Point. 14 years might just be enough time to pass for a Giga to be built.

Or a 500 ft. Flying Coaster?

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: RE: Kings Island 2014 Roller Coaster

14 inversion aquatrax with a jump into a lake is the only thing that could ever go there.
Sent from my throne

johhnyD1498

Mega Poster

What they should do is buy, re-paint and re-theme Time machine at Freestyle park. That's a sitting and a looping coaster, plus it wouldn't just be sitting there anymore.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^No. No, they shouldn't. They've got an enormous space to play with, something so few parks actually have these days, so to throw a nondescript, used, and by all accounts not very good ride in there would be stupid.

I'm not quite buying the Giga thing yet either. Yes, it was done in Canada, but remember what a **** up announcement that was? Nobody saw that coming, and it actually caused a lot of people to question what the hell they were thinking. I don't think we're quite at the stage yet where it's going to become the norm to throw a 300ft plus coaster at a park that already has a relatively new, hugely popular hyper.

According to enthusiasts, Leviathan seems to have been a huge success in terms of the quality of the ride, so I guess it's not to be completely discounted. However, do we actually know if it's been a success in real "park" terms? By that I don't mean, "There was a big line when I went," as that means jack ****.

madhjsp

Giga Poster

With a plot of usable land that large, any chance they do something to substantially expand the actual walkable area of the park, perhaps in addition to a new coaster?

johhnyD1498

Mega Poster

I didn't mean it should take up the whole space. What I meant was re-theme it, give it new, more comfortable trains (from what I've heard it's rather rough). It could be put there along with a new set of rides for a new area of the park (maybe along with an Intamin Prefab, Gravity Group wood hybrid, RMC looping woodie, or a GCI woodie. An S&S Sansei 4D like X2, Eejanaika, or Dinoconda. But then again, looking at X2, $46 million, damn........

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^ Which wooden coaster are you talking about? I wouldn't get too hopped up on the thought of new trains - this is the park that bought used, PTC trains from Hurricane at the defunct Pavilion Park for Son of Beast. :roll:

madhjsp said:
With a plot of usable land that large, any chance they do something to substantially expand the actual walkable area of the park, perhaps in addition to a new coaster?
Kings Island is a bit of a humdinger with regards to future expansion. The park is a half-circle in its layout, and ride placement is particularly not ideal. Firehawk and Flight of Fear are tucked behind Racer, Action Zone has a lot of fragmentation among rides, etc.

A walkway I'd love to see is linking the Action Zone directly to Firehawk and FoF, behind Adventure Express. Especially on a crowded day, the original pathways that link Action Zone to the Coney Mall and Eiffel Tower can be very congested and convoluted. Having additional pathway would help ease crowdedness.

Screen%20Shot%202013-02-06%20at%209.05.15%20AM.jpg

Will it happen though? Probably not. Majority of park expansions are done incrementally - only built for a specific ride or attraction. As ride concentration grows, you are able to gradually have a new section of the park. Initial park planning is when you are able to have full control over sectional layouts. Afterwards, it is more difficult to plan and implement.

In these regards, it is best to build a new coaster with a station relatively close to existing pathways. Diamondback is a good example of this - the station is at the heart of the park, with the layout still able to take advantage of undeveloped land.

johhnyD1498

Mega Poster

Hyde244 said:
^ Which wooden coaster are you talking about? I wouldn't get too hopped up on the thought of new trains - this is the park that bought used, PTC trains from Hurricane at the defunct Pavilion Park for Son of Beast. :roll:

I was talking about a new, custom ride. B&M could make them an invert (which the park lacks), S&S could put a 4D, but then again, the cost :( :( :( :( . Looking at it now, I don't think the park needs another wood coaster, seeing as they already have two....

Personally, I don't like the sound of a giga coaster, because they already have a mega coaster. CF already has 3 out of the 4 giga's, so adding another super ride would be pointless. Something really cool would be a dueling coaster, like Dragon Challenge at IoA or Battlestar Galactica at USS.

Intricks

Strata Poster

johhnyD1498 said:
Personally, I don't like the sound of a giga coaster, because they already have a mega coaster. CF already has 3 out of the 4 giga's, so adding another super ride would be pointless

So how would it be pointless? If they want one, why cant they get one? The public would basically cream their pants when it opens and the only people who would whine about the decision would be us, the enthusiasts.

So what if Cedar Fair houses 3 of the 4 gigas in existence, and would be putting it into yet another park that already had a Hyper?

johhnyD1498

Mega Poster

Intricks said:
johhnyD1498 said:
Personally, I don't like the sound of a giga coaster, because they already have a mega coaster. CF already has 3 out of the 4 giga's, so adding another super ride would be pointless

So how would it be pointless? If they want one, why cant they get one? The public would basically cream their pants when it opens and the only people who would whine about the decision would be us, the enthusiasts.

So what if Cedar Fair houses 3 of the 4 gigas in existence, and would be putting it into yet another park that already had a Hyper?

I'm not trying to say they shouldn't get one, I'm just saying that if they already have a megacoaster, why put a giga?

Snoo

The Legend

Why? There are so many other types.. like another big unique woodie that would be WELL made.. and cheaper.. then a Giga?