What's new

Holiday World | Thunderbird | Launched B&M Wing Coaster

Lofty

CF Legend
Re: Holiday World | Unknown | Unknown

Actually, 'one of a kind' and 'unique' actively promote the notion that there's not another of it's kind in the world, hence, world's first of whatever it is.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

One of a kind tends to mean it is the one of its kind. :wink:

Intricks

Strata Poster

Depends on the context in which it is used. If they were spouting thatit would be a worlds first, then yes, you would be correct. This is not the case here. Raven, Legend, Voyage, Wildebeest and Mammoth are all 'unique' and 'one of a kind' in their own right. While this ride wont be a worlds first (phrasing they have never used for this new attraction), this will still be unique and one of a kind based upon the terrain, theme and location.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Intricks

Strata Poster

So a ride like Voyage can't be described with the word 'unique' or the phrase 'one of a kind'?

I've also thought the rides at Kennywood, Knoebels and Lake Compounce were unique. So I cant use that word there then as well?

Ben

CF Legend

No, he's not wrong.

Unique and one of a kind isn't always the same as World's First.

Every single non-clone coaster is "unique" and "one of a kind", they're not all World's Firsts.

How is this so hard to grasp? I'm sure your mummy always told you how "unique" you are, that doesn't mean you're the first human.

It's all marketing speak to generate buzz. "Unique" and "one of a kind" are buzz words. "The same as loads of other rides" doesn't scream advertising excellence.

Ethan

Strata Poster

^^ So according to your theory, any Wacky Worm is "one of a kind" if there's a hill 2 miles away, or if they've added a piece of theming.

What you're saying makes "one of a kind" pointless.

Intricks

Strata Poster

So we can take Boulder Dash and plonk it wherever. Same with Voyage, Jack rabbit, Thunderbolt and Phantoms Revenge at Kennywood and any OTHER number of proper terrain coasters that actually USE the terrain.

Unique and One of a Kind =/= Worlds First. It dictates that you wont be able to ride a similar ride like it elsewhere in the world because of the topography used within said park.

Ben

CF Legend

Ethan said:
^^ So according to your theory, any Wacky Worm is "one of a kind" if there's a hill 2 miles away, or if they've added a piece of theming.

What you're saying makes "one of a kind" pointless.

One of a kind is kind of pointless.

It's marketing speech. Have you people not ever followed ride construction before?

Darren B

Giga Poster

Shockwaves Zero G roll is unique and one of a kind on a stand-up coaster.

Shockwave was not a worlds first as there were previous Intamin stand-ups. The Zero G roll was unique and one of kind, you won't find that element on any other stand-up coaster.

This coaster is being marketed as being unique and one of kind which could turn out to be a wing coaster with a cobra roll, not an Aquatrax, B&M launched coaster etc.

Enthusiasts are always setting themselves up for a downfall.

Ethan

Strata Poster

^ Yes, but the public will do too. If they saw a Wing coaster with a cobra roll, they would see Wild Eagle, or X-Flight.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

Okay, first off, I LOVE how Holiday World waited until the last minute to bring in some sort of fictional creature. We've been reading a fake but slightly realistic account of the pilgrims coming to North America, a real historical event, and they throw this clue on us, I LOVE it! XD

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONN-0uoTHI[/youtube]

Second, I'm pretty sure everybody read this clue and thought of a giant bird creature flying over the boat. This sounds pretty ominous, and I thought it could just be a wing coaster themed to a bird monster attacking the boat and I was disappointed. However, one detail intrigued me.

As it draws closer, enormous wings snap against the wind creating a thundering sound.

As a kid I had this little book that listed different strange (and not so strange) phobias and I remember in the little bit about the phobia of storms it talked about the Native American myth. The Native American mythological explanation stated that thunder came from a giant bird with wings the size of a canoe that would clap its wings together to create thunder and the lightning came from the blinking of its eyes. Well I was reading TPR and somebody there had found the same legend when looking into the name "Thunderbird." Considering how The Voyage already represents the Pilgrims coming over here and Thanksgiving is usually seen as a holiday in which the Pilgrims and Native Americans came together, this way they could have the Pilgrims and Native Americans both represented by coasters. It could be worked into the Thanksgiving area as a legend being told to the new settlers about villagers having to take on the creature. I also found this little birdy in the clue. ;)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/10502181_882056448490050_4397933486303434743_n.jpg

As for exactly what it is, I think that based upon the clue and what we've seen with the footers, I'm going to make my final guess as a B&M wing coaster with a unique element. However, that might not be one-of-a-kind enough for Holiday World, so I think the other B&M option on the plate would be a B&M 4D. S&S Sansei is using magnets to encourage spinning on their new versions of the 4D coaster, maybe B&M could be doing something similar. Speaking of S&S Sansei, they might be another manufacturer we could consider. They currently have three types of wing coasters they offer, and two would be world's first. The first is a new version of their free fly coasters that looked to be on the scale of a B&M, and from the animation, the numerous "rocking of the ship" references could be talking about it.

60781101512825464635661.jpg

The second would be the free spin that was unveiled at IAAPA this year. Essentially, it's a 4D coaster that has magnets to encourage spinning, but ultimately spins freely on its own.

BGWKkSL.jpg

I honestly feel like it's a B&M wing coaster or a B&M variation of one of these concepts. And while I suppose the blue track would work with this thunderbird theme, the orange track would work better, and that strange piece we pointed out a while ago with the weird ties could be part of this world's first coaster. So I'm sticking with B&M on this guess.

I have one more piece of evidence to back this up. Take Flug der Daemonen. It's probably the smallest of the wing coasters and still has a fair amount of theming. With the $22 million budget that was stated, I ran the 15 millin Euros that Daemonen cost through a currency converter and got $20192400. This seems to be pretty strong evidence that the park could afford a wing coaster with that budget.

There are loads of simple, inexpensive theming opportunities for this one. The station could be a simple wooden one like Diamondback's (or Giraffica's ;) ) and they could throw a few totem poles around it and play Native American drum and flute music in the queue or station. As for names, there is already a GCI called Thunderbird but it's in Finland so Holiday World could probably use that name. However, I feel like something better like Legend of the Thunderbird would give a better impression of this coaster's amazing theme.

stock-photo-detail-of-a-native-american-thunderbird-totem-pole-126014381.jpg

Tell me making a train body with a shell painted like this would NOT make it the most epic wing coaster train ever! B&M is no stranger to wing coasters made to look like birds, either. Wild Eagle and Flying Over the Rainforest both have trains that could be turned into thunderbirds with a little paint. Maybe pull a GateKeeper and put a lead car themed like that and have the rest be generic wing coaster cars with the wing pattern painted onto them? And at night the eyes could have camera-like flashbulbs in them that flash at random intervals? And maybe it plays a loud thunder sound when it hits the top of the lift?

So a lot of Jarrett detective work with this one and I know some of these are probably a stretch, but that's what I make of this sudden turn of events in the story. I think it's that time in the speculation of this coaster to put in a final guess, and mine is going to be...

A new type of B&M wing coaster on the orange track spotted at the factory themed to the Native American thunderbird called Legend of the Thunderbird.

Ack, I'll know in just over 24 hours but it's killing me! :p

Intricks

Strata Poster

Yeah...this last clue does push it to one of three types:

Invert
Flyer
Wing

While all three do seem possible, the Wing does seem a bit more likely in the sense that it would work far better with going through the trees inbetween its crossover points with Voyage.

Intricks

Strata Poster

I do love the latest blog post though.

Tons of "birds of prey show" references, talk of a younger brother (Hulk much?), Bellyaching and Moaning (Id hate to spell THAT one out for ya ;3), and Leahs last bit typed in German.

Paula wrote this blogpost and even went out of her way to state that all things said were a clue in that post.

Nya~~~

Edit: And I would still laugh the most if they were to have lead us on in the end and its actually something else entirely.

BBH

Giga Poster

We are being shocked with the return of the TOGO looping mouse. See you tomorrow night.

In all honesty, I have no trouble believing this will be a B&M of sorts, even the launch aspect of it. I like Jarrett's idea of a wing coaster with totem pole-themed trains, which would be amazing.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

What about a launched wingrider in the flying position? That would certainly be something.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

Capirio Giga with a zero-g roll, lots of airtime, and a splashdown. And it goes over the entrance. Calling it right now.

Thinking we've sealed the deal with the wing coaster though. Some of those footers look too close together to be for an invert of any kind an it fits in so well with the theme.