What's new

Holiday World | Thunderbird | Launched B&M Wing Coaster

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Re: Holiday World | Unknown | Unknown

Keep in mind it is a prototype, they usually cost a little less if I'm correct. Could be wrong, though.

It's been said it was a world's first ride unlike any other, so I would expect the new feature to be pretty significant. It could just be the use of a new element (I'd say a cobra roll) but I don't think they'd hype this "New World coaster" for something as insignificant as an element. A launch would be good too, though. I could see Holiday World being a good candidate for B&M Baco. Launching into a giant 110-foot loop and hugging the terrain and hopping over and under The Voyage would make this worthy of the hype. Maybe an elongated inline over the Thanksgiving midway potentially keyholing through two totem poles? That way they have The Voyage guarding one side of Thanksgiving and Project 2015 guarding the other?

I'm really hoping they go with the Native American Thunderbird theme and that this is the orange B&M track because that would be SICK!!!!

One clue I'd like to bring back up would be Day 54's reference to "A tool used in house-carpentry." I think it's a manufacturer coaster from B&M but could Holiday World have a trick up their sleeve? Like a piece of theming or something? I'm sure it's nothing but this one has had me intrigued.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

^Yeah, but won't a prototype cost more, due to research, 'primitive' technology, etc?

Jarrett

elephant58 said:
^Yeah, but won't a prototype cost more, due to research, 'primitive' technology, etc?
I always saw it as B&M approaching the park saying, "hey, we have this new product we'd like to test out so we'll give you a discount." Could very well be wrong, though. I thought Outlaw Run was only 10 million (same price as YOLOcoaster, but look I feel like Outlaw is on a much bigger scale) because Outlaw was a prototype. :?

If this whole "prototype discount" thing doesn't exist like I thought it did, though, I'd be willing to change my guess to just a generic wing coaster with a really funky element thrown into the mix. :p

Ethan

Strata Poster

^ I think the discount thing is right, but I'm not sure. I've always thought the same thing as you, so we must have both heard it somewhere!

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster

Hyde said:
On a side note, some hints that were dropped in the Holiblog (http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/20 ... nal-hints/).

- Designers are from Germany (of course, isn't every steel coaster designer?).
- Name of the ride carries a spelling similar to Bastille. Given the reference to a giant winged creature picking up the ship in the 66 Days chronicle, what about "Basilisk?" Same amount of characters, but not the same words, and a nice reference to a large reptilian creature.

All will be revealed tonight during the live stream, starting at 8 PM EST at http://www.holidayworld.com/66days/.

Designers are from Germany? - I know B&M could use a german designer but could this also mean it would be a german manufacturer?

I'm gonna throw B&M Suspended and Mack Launched Water Coaster out there for the fun of it.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

GUYS1!!!!!11!1!!!1!1 A janitor from Holiday World told me it would be a 200- foot tall launched wing coaster with inverted track in a flying position with wooden supports with a water brake and 15 inversions made by Vekoma and have in house themed statues and effects!!!!1!1!!1!1!1!!211!!!one

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

I'm hoping It's a mack Multilauncher. Probably not the scale of Helix but bigger than Manta and SWSD

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^^^ Well if the designer is Ing.-Büro Stengel GmbH, who pretty much designs every major steel coaster under the sun, yeah they're German. For manufacturers, Intamin is German. And B&M. And Mack. And Gerstlauer. And Maurer Sohne. And Zierer. ;)

No, there really isn't a prototype discount. Wildfire at Kolmarden will cost around $16 million, which will be a longer ride than Outlaw Run.

And there is a certain part of me that says to hell with the B&M footers - I just want a Mack multi launch, which would be better than anything B&M produces.

Jarrett

^This.

I REALLY want to take Mack for a test drive and having this four hours away would be awesome. Especially if it's as long as I initially predicted.

I WANT a Mack LSM or a B&M wing coaster, and I think it's one of the two. Either with the Thunderbird theme would be great. I'm still holding out for a wing coaster, though. The last two clues, the footers, and track color that works with the theme are all really good evidence in my opinion.

BBH

Giga Poster

Intamin and B&M are Swiss, not German.

You have to consider the cost of a standard B&M wing coaster, about $15-17 million. If we're looking at a ride of significant length, that'll easily bump up the price, plus the added cost of the LSMs for the launch and the necessary footers to accommodate such a launch, add on any theming expenditures, and $22 million sounds about right.

Ethan

Strata Poster

My last minute guess is a Dive coaster with splashdown.

Jarrett

BBH said:
Intamin and B&M are Swiss, not German.

You have to consider the cost of a standard B&M wing coaster, about $15-17 million. If we're looking at a ride of significant length, that'll easily bump up the price, plus the added cost of the LSMs for the launch and the necessary footers to accommodate such a launch, add on any theming expenditures, and $22 million sounds about right.
I believe Holiday World stated that the manufacturer was German SPEAKING, and Switzerland speaks French, Italian, and German, so they could very well use German around the office. I've always wished I had learned German as my second language instead of French so I would be able to work for more manufacturers. :p

Here's the exact translation:
I believe that this key should be in German. (I'm sorry. I have not spoken German for a year.) Our designers designed our project in a German speaking country. Unfortunately, there are many good designers in German-speaking countries. One should remember that it is great. Very large. It is also unique. That's all! Have fun with Google Translate
Source: http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/20 ... nal-hints/

I think this clue, saying it's German SPEAKING, purposely had to do that to include Switzerland, I think they'd have just said German . And with it being GREAT, I really don't think Mack, Maurer, Zierer, or Gerstlauer have done anything world-class except for maybe Helix, and there's almost enough evidence to count that out in my opinion.

LOCKED IN FINAL PREDICTION
My final guess is a Flug der Daemonen-sized wing coaster with the Thunderbird theming featuring multiple launches, making it the world's first multi-launched wing coaster. Give it a nice ground-hugging layout like Cheetah Hunt. I think Flug der Daemonen is a great example of what this thing could be like because they both cost pretty much the same amount (almost confirmed, look at the link above and the 22 million number IS mentioned) and both had a few existing empty barrels (sorry, I HAD to make that reference :p ) to work with.

Secondary Guess
Traditional B&M Wing Coaster with Thunderbird theming and a unique element somewhere along the layout.

Let's be honest, though, Holiday World is :dontswear:ing us enthusiasts and we're way in the dark compared to how it's been before other announcements and I'm pretty sure somewhere in Indiana there's an office full of Holiday World employees reading all the fan forums laughing their heads off. :p

_koppen

Hyper Poster

2012Jarrett said:
My final guess is a Flug der Daemonen-sized wing coaster with the Thunderbird theming featuring multiple launches, making it the world's first multi-launched wing coaster.

With todays technology no park in their right mind would build a LSM launched wing rider, the trains are simply to heavy to launch and also fit the budget of operations.

Jarrett

_koppen said:
2012Jarrett said:
My final guess is a Flug der Daemonen-sized wing coaster with the Thunderbird theming featuring multiple launches, making it the world's first multi-launched wing coaster.

With todays technology no park in their right mind would build a LSM launched wing rider, the trains are simply to heavy to launch and also fit the budget of operations.
Fair enough, I'll throw a tire launch onto the table. Hulk has one that goes uphill, I'm sure a flat one that launches a wing coaster could be feasible.

Ethan

Strata Poster

Don't tyre launches use more power than modern launches though?

BBH

Giga Poster

A LSM launch would be far less costly and power-draining than a drive tire launch. Hulk needs its own flywheel power store system and its own generator/capacitors to keep from browning out the local power grid.

I don't think launching wing coaster trains would be infeasable if it was taken at a slower, Helix-style acceleration rate

Jarrett

Not sure on power usage, but I think LIMs use a lot. Not sure on the mechanism but I'm pretty sure we're looking at at least one launch. If not my secondary guess is a traditional wing coaster with a unique element.

Man, I've made so many predictions over the past few days one of them has to be right! :p

I've always had an idea tat I do think is worth sharing now. What if a floorless coaster were made with two Banshee seat assemblies mounted to cantilevers holding them above the track that could mechanically be moved in such a way it turned it into a wing coaster? It's be complicated but I think it can be done. I know that's probably not what this is but it's another direction in which the wing coaster concept can go. Didn't want to have another idea not on paper and have it announced while just in my head. :p

Jarrett

tomahawk said:
More moving parts=more problems.

30 minutes.
True, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. Just look at TTD. It's one of the most mechanically complicated rides in the industry and they've got it working pretty well now. It would start life as a mechanical nightmare but if anybody can do it I'd say it's B&M. They already have flyers which have some moving parts and those work fine if I understand correctly, my idea was sort of the next level. Not to mention their rides are among the most reliable in the industry.

So close! The suspense is killing me! I've been gooning up the house all afternoon over this!