What's new

Holiday World | Thunderbird | Launched B&M Wing Coaster

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Holiday World has confirmed that Giraffica, the ride formerly known as Pilgrims Plunge, is being removed after five years of on and off operations.
Sir Isaac Newton said it first: “What goes up must come down.”
Centuries later, Blood, Sweat & Tears set the phrase to music.
Whether you prefer physics or ’60s pop-culture references, it’s time for us to let you know that Giraffica, the ride formerly known as Pilgrims Plunge, is no more. The tower is being removed this week.
If you’re one of our super-fans, you’re probably not surprised. You’ve noticed the ride has not been open as often as we all would have liked. We sincerely apologize for the disappointment.
03pilgrimsplungedrop.JPG

Source: http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/2014/04/17/wisdom-sir-isaac/

Since only the tower is being removed, it's safe to assume that the station building is being kept for a future attraction.

Darren B

Giga Poster
Re: Bye-Bye Giraffica aka Pilgrims Plung

Another Intamin water ride retires early.

Could they not just remove the tower function and add a simple shoot-the-chute instead of removing the whole ride? It seems like a complete waste otherwise.

Snoo

The Legend
Re: Bye-Bye Giraffica aka Pilgrims Plunge

Shame. It was pretty cool. I remember how excited we got a few years ago.. lol

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Shoot the Rapids! ZOMG!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shCyUzTqdto[/youtube]

Lofty

CF Legend

That's a shame. I've always liked the look of this ride, it actually looked pretty terrifying.

I don't know if anybody knows the actual reasoning behind it's downtime? Has it got anything to do with the lift and if so, is DiVertical suffering also?

nadroJ

CF Legend

When is it due to be removed? It's a water ride I've always wanted to go on and would be really spiteful if it's gone before we get there </3

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

nadroJ said:
When is it due to be removed? It's a water ride I've always wanted to go on and would be really spiteful if it's gone before we get there </3
The source says "this week" so I would assume that you're going to miss it unfortunately.

The straight drop on this thing was actually rather cool. The boat felt like it was accelerating very quickly and you get a real sense of speed as you hit the water. I don't remember much about the rest of it to be honest, except that the lift is both neat and kinda odd.

From our ride back in 2010 - we seemed to have enjoyed it:
180951_494565793638_4878233_n.jpg

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster

Shame, overall it was a fun little ride. I rode it in June of 2011, didn't notice any downtime but granted it was just half a day in the park. The lift was that perfect combo of wtf/its going to tip over/fun, the drop was actually rather meh, but like Hixee said it felt like the boat took off when it hit the water.

NAPayne31

Mega Poster

Holiday World being my home park, I can see the reasoning behind the decision. In a sense the ride shut off further expansion for the regular park because it was just plain in the way. Hoping... No begging for a new coaster, please Koch family your my only hope.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Didn't ride it when I went in 09 as I didn't want to be soaked for the rest of the day and two hour drive back to civilization. Oh well.

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster

Rumor posted to Screamscape today talked about how a new steel coaster could be on the way for the park. I wonder if it will use the station for this. The other option is that they're saving the station for a water ride for 2016 while they go coaster in 2015.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Wow. I'm so old I thought this had only just opened :lol: I followed construction and stuff so it feels new. Is it an Intamin issue, or just a bad decision I wonder?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

Pretty sure it's an Intamin issue. All three times I rode it (different year each time) the ride ops confirmed that the ride was being operated by Intamin from Switzerland and that this was fairly common practice.

bmac

Giga Poster

Pretty much any sort of Intamin Supersplash has had issues to some extent, just it seems to me that Giraffrica was far and away worse than the rest of the bunch.

NAPayne31

Mega Poster

CPSFMMCW said:
Rumor posted to Screamscape today talked about how a new steel coaster could be on the way for the park. I wonder if it will use the station for this. The other option is that they're saving the station for a water ride for 2016 while they go coaster in 2015.
If this turns out right I may come after you and hug you if not watch out buddy.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Since I dont want to start another topic as this will be regarding the area:

Holiday World has teased a screenshot of a text between Leah and Eric in their HoliBlog. In the text, ot shows a bunch of wooden squares with the date of 5/19/14 on all of them. Obviously this refers to a possible announcement date or possible new teaser image.

Clicky-poo

13993228657_11fc9df873_z.jpg

While I dont really want to start any unknown rumors, just going from what is shown (IF this is an announcement for a possible new coaster), this will be in the plot of land behind Giraffica/near the road (Eric Snow's chat image) and it may possibly be a steel coaster from Mack, Gerst, Mauer, Vekoma or Zierer (totes can also be short for a shipping container. Is Premier manufactured in the states?).

Now, if I read into the image even further (since going off of Skyrushs and Goliaths game/teasers for their announcements) due to recent changes in how a park teases subliminally. The time stamp could refer to the rides duration (3min roughly) and the image contains 54 blocks which could refer to a ride length of 5400, or a more realistic max speed it hits.

Please note that the more in-depth reading of the image is mainly for **** and nowhere near serious.

NAPayne31

Mega Poster

Beat me to it Intricks but according to their twitter also they had a picture of them in the woods out in the back of the Voyage. Maybe mapping out a layout?

Intricks

Strata Poster

There was clearing out that way, and people are guessing that it could be for a potential layout. Roughly near the 2nd hill, right?

If they go into those woods, then surely they will be making another terrain loving coaster :3