What's new

Gigs 'n' Tours

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
My Prodigy/Pendulum/Chase&Status/Enter Shikari/Does It Offend You Yeah/Eddy Temple Morris (Collectively known as Warriors Dance Festival) tickets have been dispatched! Yay!

22 days to go ^_^

Lewis

Hyper Poster
I saw Kele Okereke (of Bloc Party) last night at Southampton Uni.

It was pretty good, I haven't listened to his album as much as I should have, so half the songs I didn't really know, but he did play a few Bloc Party songs, including a Blue Light/The Prayer/One More Chance mix which was rather amazing, and to finish off with, Flux <3.

Overall, it was good, but when I saw Bloc Party it was much much better.

Kebab

Giga Poster
I'm seeing Bring Me The Horizon at O2 in September. Not the biggest fan of BMTH, and I'm not looking forward to the deadly pits it's going to cause, but I'll have fun. :)

It took 1 day of ticket sales before they sold out though, incredibly popular band! Oli Sykes is a pretty cool guy as well.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Last night I went to Reading and watched the Snooker Legends Tour.

It was amazing!

My brother and I arrived an hour early and decided hang around the stage door as I know Jimmy White smokes. 10 mins before the doors opened, out comes Jimmy and John Virgo for a crafty fag.

The fellow snooker enthusiasts also hanging about started to murmur" there's Jimmy" but left them alone. Me being me (and against my brother's wishes) walked straight up to them and asked for a photo.

They were awesome, shock my hand, asked me where I was from and who my favourite player was. They signed my ticket stub and posed for a photo. My brother also had a photo taken despite protesting about me approaching them.

I also purchased a pre-signed snooker triangle which I wore on my head throughout the first half of the event, much to my brother's embarrassment.

The show started with Virgo doing a few trick shots and impressions. They were brilliant to watch.

Then the main event happened. Jimmy played Dennis Taylor in a two frame match (if it was drawn, they would have a respotted black). Plenty of banter between the two player and Virgo who was commentating. Anybody who watches snooker will know all of Virgo's catchphases and he was rolling them out, taking the piss out of himself. Even I shouted out "where's the cue ball going?!" further embarrassing my bother who kept sinking down in his chair. Jimmy won the match comfortably.

Then John Parrot played Cliff Thornburn. Parrot was funny as ever and Cliff was dull as ditch-water. Bloody Canadians. Highlight of that match was when the referee, Michaela Tabb, picked up the cue ball to clean it without using the marker and replaced it nearer the target ball making an easier shot. Her reason for doing it was "this match is so slow and you're pretty crap, Cliff." It was very funny. Thorburn won after a respotted black..only because Parrot's white went in.

After the interval, there was a doubles match with Dennis & a local lad verses Parrot and a raffle winner from the audience. The banter and silliness was brilliant, punctuated with Virgo going over the top with his piss-take commentary.

It ended with Jimmy playing Thorburn in the final. White played loads of exhibition shots showing he still has a natural flare for the game, just no consistency. Jimmy won.

All in all, an excellent entertaining evening of snooker geekness.

For anybody with a passing interesting in snooker, I'd recommend it! There are only two events left of this tour (one in Llandudno and the other in Doncaster) but they will be back next year.

w00t!

Will

Strata Poster
So... am I a big enough Mike Portnoy fanboy to brave Avenged Sevenfold in the Autumn? To be fair, I liked the last album a lot, so long as I skipped out the last track, and thus I have a nasty feeling we all know the answer to that one...

But more importantly, Iron ****ing Maiden in Dublin in less than 3 weeks now, looking set to be one of my highlights of the year so far :D

Nic

Strata Poster
Aqualung are playing their first UK show for years tonight. Yeah, they're not brilliant, but they (and their previous bands) provided the soundtrack for a lot of my teenage years and so the music and people hold a lot of fantastic memories for me. I desperately wish I could go, but it's just not practical. Getting hold of tickets wouldn't be a problem (yay for insider contacts!), it's just that transport would be a nightmare. It's at Bush Hall in London, and although I'm sure I could blag a lift, it'd be a major mission for me in my current state.

It's a shame, because it'll be one of only a small handful (maybe 3 or 4) of London gigs they've EVER played that I'll have missed :(

robbeal

Hyper Poster
^He never seems to play up north! The only gig i've ever noticed of his around here was in Manchester in a little bar somewhere, so needless to say it sold out quickly. I'd love to see Aqualung one day though, I did listen to the earlier stuff a lot when I was younger.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ As am I. In fact, I don't know why I bought a ticket as I literally live a 2 min walk away and can hear the whole thing from my house xD

Nonetheless, I shall be walking there in around 30 mins and will try and get into the golden circle :)

Pendulum times <3 Prodigy times <3 Chase & Status times <3 Enter Shikari times </3 </3 DONOTWANT.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
ciallkennett said:
^ As am I. In fact, I don't know why I bought a ticket as I literally live a 2 min walk away and can hear the whole thing from my house xD

Nonetheless, I shall be walking there in around 30 mins and will try and get into the golden circle :)

Pendulum times <3 Prodigy times <3 Chase & Status times <3 Enter Shikari times </3 </3 DONOTWANT.

My sister is on her way there right now... There's no hope for some people ;) :p

robbeal

Hyper Poster
ciallkennett said:

Ironically, Enter Shikari are the only band i'd consider worth seeing out of that lot. I saw them 3 years back and they were mega, and i'm sure they've grown since then, with a 2nd album under their belt and everything.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ In all fairness, they were fantastic in their performance - so much energy, passion and really got the crowd going. They were probably the second most energetic performers (after the Prodigy) from the whole day - I just don't like the music at all.

Lewis

Hyper Poster
^^Same really, though I dont mind Pendulum/Prodigy. I've seen ES twice, first was back in 2007 when they were touring with their 'Take to the Skies' album and this was the best time I saw them, it was all about the music, stage diving, moshing etc., fun times! The second time I saw them was in October 2009, then touring the 'Common Dreads' album. This time wasn't as good, no doubting that they still gave it their all, it was just their second album was awful compared to their first, too politically influenced imo. and this just didn't compare to 'original' Shikari. Shame really. Since then I've gone off them a bit, would be nice if they went back to their original music.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ Most people I know who like ES have said the same thing - Their first album was great, and they have since dipped in further albums. It's all the same to me though :p

robbeal

Hyper Poster
Just to be different, I thought the 2nd album was on par with the first :p They've said themselves they didn't intentionally write stuff to be overtly political, it just sort of came out like that, and to be honest, i'm not bothered if it is or not, if it still sounds good, that's what matters to me. I think the 2nd album was much stronger lyrically than the first, the first was a load of random crap to be honest, but the music was an amazing breath of fresh air. The 2nd album wasn't as musically eye-opening, but it was a more polished piece overall.

Lewis

Hyper Poster
59187_430182289665_543834665_4745400_5333412_n.jpg

Yes, 6 days to go!

thx

Mega Poster
^^ deadmau5 should be epic! at least judging from his show at Stockholm in May.

Saw Tiësto in Finland two weeks ago (3rd time I've seen him live), was a bit afraid it wouldn't be that good, considering it was his Kaleidoscope-album tour, an album that I really don't like that much. In the end he didn't play that much of the newer, mainstream pop resembling material, it turned out to be one of the very best dj-gigs I've been to and that's saying a lot, also it didn't get repetitive even though it was 3 hrs. (which is a good amount of time for an "A-list" dj in Finland.)

Anyway, I'm quite annoyed that the trance/house/progressive scene in Sweden, sucks really bad compared to Finland. Sure they've got Swedish house mafia, which is huge, but other than that hmm ... and a lot less international names play there than in Finland. For an example: John Digweed, Faithless and Above & Beyond are coming to Finland in the next 2.5 months and Sweden don't get any of them (at least from what it looks right now)... Yeah, I will travel over to see at least one of them (have seen A&B and Digweed before, but yeah) should be great!

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
I went to Leeds. Crystal Castles deserve a special mention. Amazing, as well as Limp Bizkit and Weezer, probably my three favourite bands of the weekend.

Impressed with Axl Rose and others, but that's because I didn't think he'd turn up so anything was a bonus.

Got tickets for Deftones yesterday, and a band called Reckless Love. So that's gonna be cool. I just need to get Crystal Castles, Alexisonfire and Cancer Bats tickets. I have no Crystal Castles music whatsoever, but I've seen them at Leeds two years in a row and they were incredible both times.