What's new

Gigs 'n' Tours

danielfitzgerald99

Hyper Poster
Dave said:
This is why you never believe things you read in Kerrang or Metal Hammer ;)

Metal Hammer are elitist tw*ts that immediatley discard anything that they deem to be un-metal.

I like Kerrang though. Although a lot of the bands are ****e, they have an enjoyable writing style that has a lot of humour so I always pick it up. Plus it is good for keeping up to date with new bands.

robbeal

Hyper Poster
I find Kerrang's writing style really painful to read actually, but I still buy it sometimes because its handy for keeping up with stuff and finding bands I usually wouldn't have heard of. It still feels like a magazine written by highschool kids though.

I prefer NME, not just because the music in there is more what I like, but its actually written with a genuine wit.

Bloc Party on wednesday was awesome as well, even from the back of the venue. All the stuff that sounded best live was actually the stuff i'm less keen on normally which surprised me. The support band, Tommy Sparks, were brilliant too, possibly more interesting the Bloc Party themselves, so i'll definitely be keeping my eye out for that name in the coming years.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Saw Architects last night, they were amazing. They were so humble and just seemed not only amazed that they had a crowd enjoying their music but also that these people knew the words to their songs after only a week of their new album being released.
It was completely insane without being too violent and I wasn't bored for a moment, can't wait to see them again.

Will

Strata Poster
danielfitzgerald99 said:
Metal Hammer are elitist tw*ts that immediatley discard anything that they deem to be un-metal.
... Aside from the fact that they put My Chemical Romance on the cover a couple of years back?
That said, I stopped buying it when it stopped coming with Maiden stickers (£4, or whatever it is for one issue always seemed a bit steep, entertaining as it was)... elsewhere, agree entirely with Rob that Kerrang tends to read like it's written by school kids, for school kids. Either I grew out of it, or it went seriously downhill not so long ago, and began targeting itself at the 14 year old fangirl, rather than the music fan, to the extent that their coverage of bands I actually cared about became somewhat depleated... Metal Hammer tended to be on the other end of the scale, and covered the more extreme and obscure bands, with the result that I could have done with a happy medium really!

Back to the point of gigs... I still have none on my agenda, which is annoying. Metallica tickets re-appeared on sale last week, but, having thought about it, I came to the conclusion I didn't actually like Death Magnetic enough to have the patience to see it played live, awesome as it would have been to see Machine Head again. It was also expensive, which is bad. So... still on the lookout for something more interesting :arrow:

robbeal

Hyper Poster
^That'll be brilliant if the gig I saw last week is anything to go by. The Intimacy stuff really comes across well live, very powerful and energetic.

The only gig i've got lined up, and while not musical, is Ross Noble in May at the Manchester Opera House. I've not seen much of Noble recently so it'll be a good evening!

Funky Monk

Roller Poster
I've had tickets for a while but I've only just found this topic, but anyways:

26/6/09 AC/DC at Wembley :O

More than 4 months to go but i can't wait! So glad I managed to get tickets!

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Reel Big Fish were awesome last night. Manchester Academy 2 is a really small venue, and made for a fantastic gig. Reel Big Fish were fantastic from start to finish, and one of the warm up bands, Random Hand were pretty good as well.

Unfortunately, my body now aches like a bitch. It's been too many years since I was last in a mosh pit, and I'm not used to it. Great fun, though.

danielfitzgerald99

Hyper Poster
I went to the Defenders of the Faith tour at Brixton on Saturday.

First band was Five Finger Death Punch. I was impressed. Reminded me a bit of Pantera. The frontman spent a lot of time trying to incite really violent moshpits which were good fun.

Unearth were alright. Not bad, not that intresting though.

Dimmu Borgir were boring. I do like them but I am not a black metal fan and to put up with it for over an hour was a bit tedious.

Lamb Of God were AMAZING! They are my favourite metal band because their albums are consistently brilliant. Chris Addlers drumming is so impecably precise and as a collective force they just sound brutal. Their live reputation is well and truly deserved. They opened with Ashes of The Wake which was incredible. Followed it with Laid To Rest but when they got to Walk With Me In Hell, it was getting incredibly violent. The true highlights were Descending which was my favourite LOG song until I heard Contractor from the new album. They played that too and it was brilliant along with Set To Fail which was also brilliant. They closed with Red Neck and naturally Black Label. A brilliant set from a brilliant band. I got the impression they gave 110% and were genuinely pleased to be there. I don't get that with a lot of bands. Go see them next time or at least by the new album Wrath.

Dave

CF Legend
danielfitzgerald99 said:
Dimmu Borgir were boring. I do like them but I am not a black metal fan and to put up with it for over an hour was a bit tedious.

**** off, they were captivating when I saw them! The music is so good.

I find Lamb of God overall very tedious...

danielfitzgerald99

Hyper Poster
Yes Dave but you are a fan. You know all their songs and listen to them a lot so obviously you enjoyed them more.

I didn't say they were bad, I just said I found them boring after a while. I do like them in small doses.

Will

Strata Poster
Dream Theater dates at long last :D
Consequently, June 12th in Leeds and June 13th in Southampton... and the horrifying prospect of the journey between the two :lol: Nice intimate venues should make up for it though, as well as meaning that although I have to stand, it shouldn't be too intimidating.
Woo and such.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Metallica played the O2 last night...

Played about 5/6 songs from the new album :roll:

Played the usual staples of Master of Puppets, Creeping Death, Nothing Else Matters and Enter Sandman, which are certainly worth hearing live always...

Vertigo-inducing concerts are always fun...