What's new

Formula 1™ Topic

Peter

Hyper Poster
As much as I'd like a massive mix up for drivers next year, I can't believe Alonso would announce it just before Ferraris biggest weekend of the year.

It's more likely a contract renewal or the news that he bought some Spanish cycling team which was announced today ;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Martyn

Giga Poster
Yeah, I'm not convinced either, it's just coming from a lot of Red Bull sources it seems. My girlfriend works with Mark Webber's right rear wheel holder's brother (amusing weak link I know) and he seemed pretty convinced.

I'd imagine it's just Chinese whispers though.

marc

CF Legend
Alonso has bought the Spanish bike team or whatever it is. That was his big news lol.

Alonso has a performance get out clause at Ferrari if he does not have a certain number of points at midway.

Ferrari/alonso never hit the target this year so yes he can walk away.

Vettel and alonso are not meant to get on is stories are correct. Alonso is quite political just like Prost was so it would be very interesting to see them both in the same team.

Still recon Daniel will be the rbr driver next year and maybe alonso and vettel will swap seats for 2015.

Anyone not in a fully factory team next year will suffer, plus it normally takes Newey a year or two to get it right when regs change.

nealbie

CF Legend
McLaren were in Woking today! <3

It feels SOOOOO good to be able to support my local team again now dreadful Hamilton has **** off!

Red Bull have confirmed Ricciardo btw. Should be interesting! Still think Kimi to Ferrari!

marc

CF Legend
Daniel now confirmed at rbr.

Sorry Neal looks like we were both posting at the same time.

Alonso would never have kimi at Ferrari, I think it will be Nico from Sauber or just keep Massa. It's pointless keeping Massa for one more year though so god knows. Both Force India drivers are being linked to Ferrari as well.

I even think he would be worried about Nico, I think alonso likes having Massa :)

Will be interesting to see how Daniel goes against vettel.

nealbie

CF Legend
Schumi's been seen with Domenicalli and Montezemolo too. I know he's not as fab as he once was, but he's certainly a better bet for the Constructors than Massa and Alonso should beat him.

marc

CF Legend
Maybe he will help with testing but after stuff Nico said I doubt it. He implied ms sent them the total wrong way with car development, like what kimi said despite winning the championship lol. Please don't ask for the links as kimi said it in 2007 and Nico during winter testing. You might even remember saying he did not want ms testing the Ferrari again. Would take most of the night to find them again.

Would be interesting to see though, but I don't think Ferrari would sign anyone short term due to the regulation changes. Plus ms has a big job with Merc, not that we have seen him do anything.

Ms one last year in a Ferrari would be nice that's for sure. As you say though Alonso would beat him so would it be the right thing to do?

nealbie

CF Legend
It all depends really. It's clear that Schumacher just likes driving F1 cars competitively; and what with Byrne designing the car if Brawn gets pushed out of Mercedes if he goes to Ferrari I wouldn't be surprised to see Schumi go and be Fernando's teammate.

I would also like to see Nico Hulkenberg in the Ferrari too, although his ties with Honda probably mean he's at McLaren in 2015. He deserves a top drive, ever since dominating A1 GP!

So maybe Schumacher for 2014 whilst they let Bianchi get another season of experience, as he's a real talent too completely outdriving his Marussia.

marc

CF Legend
Totally agree with you, Nico deserves a top car. He should have won Brazil last year.

I followed him back then as well and he was just in a different class to the rest.

If only he had not left Force India.

Mclaren will be interesting to see in 2015. Perez will be there as they need his money as for Button not so sure. There is even talk kimi is replacing him next year! Doubt that very much.

I think ferrari should just take a risk with Bianchi like Renualt did with Alonso and mclaren did with lewis. The guy is fast, makes very few mistakes.

There are quiet a few good drivers around, not really many in gp2 though which is a worry.

jayjay

Giga Poster
There are quiet a few good drivers around, not really many in gp2 though which is a worry.

It's not all bad. Formula Renault 3.5 seems to be where all the talent is at the moment. Antonio Felix da Costa is being hailed by Will Buxton (GP2/3 commentator) as practically the next coming Jesus and is strongly tipped for Ricciardo's old seat. There's also Stoffel Vandoorne and Kevin Magnussen, the two series leaders.

marc

CF Legend
Yep in the other categories there are a few but gp2 is meant to be the feeder series and its just been really dull this year.

There are one or two good drivers but nothing stand out but I think it's due to the cars and tyres.

Bird looks ok and I used to rate Calado but he's not really stood out this year. But looks like he is being lined up for Force India next year.

Rossi looks like he could be in the USA race for Caterham as well.

nealbie

CF Legend
The two best drivers in F1 together would certainly make Ferrari very strong favourites for the Constructors even if they don't have the best car. Fernando and Kimi are points scoring machines!

Was very annoyed with Perez again today too, if it wasn't for his idiocy at turn 1 slamming on the anchors just after slotting in front of Kimi, Raikkonen would have easily been on the podium and probably won as he lost only 1 second to Vettel after lap 1 despite having to pass everyone!

marc

CF Legend
Yep agree with you, that crash also probably cost lewis a top3 as it gave him a tyre problem. Both came back really well but Kimi had to make his softer tyres longer, but for me it was like f1 of old I.e driving flat out.

For once though luck went my way in the fantasy team as its normally my drivers who keep getting hit.

I am still hoping its Nico H that goes to Ferrari, but if not I hope he goes to Lotus. No idea where Massa will go.

marc

CF Legend
Will be interesting to see who goes to lotus now, either nico or Massa.

Really hope the pick Nico though, I like Massa but he's had a top drive and just feel Nico deserves it.

Maybe Massa can go to Sauber with free engines or something like that.

marc

CF Legend
Even more interesting stuff being said on twitter.

Kimi will be dropped by Lotus now and replaced with Nico.

I find that so hard to believe but we have seen in the past that them just drop drivers. Kimi is on a race by race contract and Lotus have not been paying him on time.

Pierre

Strata Poster
Lotus' tweet regarding Kimi's departure.....

[tweet]https://twitter.com/lotus_f1team/status/377765191053606912[/tweet]