What's new

Formula 1™ Topic

marc

CF Legend
New Jersey and Mexico are going to be dropped next year.

Our championship is so close, going to be interesting in the last few races.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^During the race today they announced that F1 hasn't made the decision yet and that was just a rumor. What do you know that they don't?

marc

CF Legend
It's in Autosport that the tracks won't be ready and they need more time, it will be announced next month. Mexico won't have the pits ready and New Jersey still don't have the money.

Have you seen the site? Just wondered if any work had started yet. I really want that race to be on as I want to get over there.

Autosport also said kimi has come to an agreement with lotus that will see him drive the rest of the year yet Sky kept on that he might not. The report was on before the race even before the quantum deal was complete.

Lotus now have the money so lets hope Nico gets the drive :)

nealbie

CF Legend
I hope Nico gets the drive too. He's easily the best driver not in a Ferrari next season!

And if there's no New Jersey race next year, I and many others will be happy, that layout is ****!

marc

CF Legend
I hate the way Vettel is being put up there as the best driver ever.

He's good but all he's doing is beating a driver who's old, not bothering with training and even said he's lost motivation. Yes he is beating the rest but none have the equipment he does.

I know you make the most of what you have and he is doing that, cannot take that away from the guy. Next year he has yet another number 2 driver I really wanted kimi, alonso or Lewis as his team mate.

So many of the people praising him are the same ones that put ms down for the exact same thing!

Anyone else see the Eddie Irvine interview on sky? It's really interesting.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
marc said:
Next year he has yet another number 2 driver I really wanted kimi, alonso or Lewis as his team mate.
I really wanted to see Vettel paired with Nico Hülkenberg. I hope that he can find a team. He's such a great driver and really should be in F1.
And I'm now up to third in the Fantasy League. Yay! Still far behind Marc 'Seb' Evans-Leigh and looking like I'll never catch Nealbie.

marc

CF Legend
You never know, just takes one race. But seeing two of our drivers are the same could be hard.

What you need is for vettel to do a no score and ros to win. At one point I was miles behind Peter.

Last few weeks things have really changed. Kimi and lewis have been low scorers so it's moved us up.

It's been interesting to see how the two options worked and it shows there is not must difference. If I could make one change it would be to get botas out my team. But earlier in the year I would have removed Nico H but that sort of improved.

nealbie

CF Legend
marc said:
I hate the way Vettel is being put up there as the best driver ever.

He's good but all he's doing is beating a driver who's old, not bothering with training and even said he's lost motivation. Yes he is beating the rest but none have the equipment he does.

I know you make the most of what you have and he is doing that, cannot take that away from the guy. Next year he has yet another number 2 driver I really wanted kimi, alonso or Lewis as his team mate.

So many of the people praising him are the same ones that put ms down for the exact same thing!

Anyone else see the Eddie Irvine interview on sky? It's really interesting.

This is true, and I'm glad there's at least one person on this site that is sensible and wise enough regarding F1 to be aware of this.

Don't get me wrong, Webber is (well, maybe was) a top driver deserving of his place in F1. But we've certainly seen a decline in the last few years. This is a combination of what Marc has said, but also owing to the massive change in the sport from how it was when Webber was a more dynamic part of it.

It's exactly the same reason Schumacher struggled on his return. How he and Webber (amongst others, will get to that later) like to drive is completely flat out. Stick 15-20 laps of fuel in the car, tyres that won't go off and then you can really get going. Schumacher was amazing because of being able to lap consistently to within a tenth or two of himself but also at a ridiculous pace. Webber is the same. There isn't much to separate him and Vettel on pure pace, but modern F1 race pace Vettel is more accustomed to looking after the car and plodding around at 80%.

This is also true of Alonso, Kimi and Hamilton. All three are not nearly as impressive as they were in F1 up to 2008. Alonso and Kimi are such supreme natural talents that they are still outperforming their machinery.Less so Hamilton, who, whilst still very impressive, is not the superstar he was going to become (as much as I think he's a douche, he's a very quick driver). Schumacher is brilliant, but he doesn't have this natural talent, his success came from the shere amount of effort that he put in. He was fitter, stronger and smarter by a considerable margin when he was in F1. Senna started this fashion, Schumacher took it to a ridiculous (even OCD) level. You obviously have to have the base talent there in the first place, but the way he went about taking every advantage possible and exploiting that (thus marginalising his weaknesses) was brilliant.

The Irvine interview is fabulous, and on face value hilarious. But when you look into it, like they did on Autosport, it kinda shows why Michael was so good in the 90's and 00's. Irvine is right, Schumacher was terrible at setting up the car, for OTHER people. His driving style is so different to everyone who's ever been in F1 (with the possible exception of Hamilton in 2007/08) that the kind of setups that he would have been suggesting would have been impossible for Irvine, Barrichello, Massa, etc. This is why there was such a huge disparity between him and his stablemates. The cars were, naturally, designed for Schumacher. So they had his driving style in mind, his teammates had to work around this. All three mentioned are by no means crap drivers.

Unfortunately, this didn't work in post 2010 F1. Michael KILLS tyres (same reason Hamilton was so far behind Button on pace in the first year of Pirelli's but he was new enough to the sport to adopt a new style - ever wondered why he doesn't lock up nearly as much these days? He's far less exciting now, but I think he's a much better driver). With Bridgestone in the early 00's one set of tyres would last at least 100 laps without dying, you only did a maximum of 20 lap stints. Therefore you could push as much out of the tyres as is humanly possible.

So... rounding off back to Vettel. Yes, it's a shame he won't be driving alongside a top top driver, but we can still see where he is with Ricciardo. If he doesn't completely DESTROY him next season, then he is, at best, a very good driver. Certainly a worthy champion, but nowhere near the pantheon of greats that have graced the sport. We shall have to see.

Hopefully the Ferrari is the best car next season, because a ding dong between Alonso and Raikkonen would be mouth watering and no-one would deny them deserving it. 1988 should, on paper, have been as boring as Red Bull's domination is now. But it is remembered wonderfully. Not because of rose-tinted-nostalgaspecs, but because both cars had a brilliant racing driver in them.

re fantasy league - I'll be delighted to finish 2nd, I've already pleased myself by snuggling in amongst the locked strategy and miles ahead of everyone else in our league on the green one. Only beaten by Marc would make me very happy! :)

marc

CF Legend
Lewis problem is he lets his head drop and he does not recover from it. He's a better driver that ros but he's getting beaten. Ross did say they need to look at his setup has he runs more wing than ros and in the race he has no speed.

Rbr learnt this that if you set up for one lap and don't get pole or a good start you are in trouble. Lewis would have been on pole had the car not broke.

Eddie said you has to be either ms, senna or Newey to win. Average drivers won in Newey cars. Senna was so much faster in 1994 than Hill in quali, in Brazil the one race senna actually done laps he was miles ahead of hill. Hill won the championship in 1996 but to me that always said it was the car not the driver, had Senna been around Hill would not have got a look in. Saying that Senna would have been a Ferrari driver if stories are true.

God how different things would have been, where would ms have ended up. Probably mclaren.

Hope that makes sense.

nealbie

CF Legend
Yeah. Senna would have won 1994. Schumacher vs. Senna in 1995 would have been absolutely fantastic to watch! Hill just couldn't keep up with him.

Michael would have probably been more successful if Senna hadn't have died, strangely. He wouldn't have won 1994, but may have won in 1995 and 1998/1999 would have been his in the McLaren Mercedes (yes he would have gone there, stayed at Benetton in 1996 and left for Mercedes in 97).

Senna would have naturally retired by then and Schumi would have probably inherited the Ferrari. It is indeed intriguing. But what we missed out really was Schumacher vs. Senna (and I guess Byrne vs. Newey) in 1995. :(

marc

CF Legend
Looks like Nico H is off to lotus next year, the investors have given the green light to sign him :)

Knowing his luck though the car will be pants lol.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Yay! Hopefully he won't have to wait to the end of the season to get paid. :p
If the car performs anything like it did this year I'm sure he'll do great and probably outperform what Kimi did for the team.

marc

CF Legend
Kimi out for the rest of the year, he is having his back operated on.

If anyone has him in their team they need to change him.

nealbie

CF Legend
Thank **** Autosport have finally announced it. Was becoming a bit of a saga. Ferrari are paying according to his manager, but it's being done now so he is fit and ready for January 1st haha

I just wonder if the other rumours are true coming out of Enstone.... They're after the Constructors 2nd place after all. Personally I think it'll be Heidfeld or Petrov (money), but I'd like to see Davide!

marc

CF Legend
It won't be nick after what happened a few years back.

Some have said it could be kov getting the seat.

nealbie

CF Legend
I had completely forgotten about Kovalainen. Although that may have been because Petrov beat him 10-7 in 2011.

Of the two I'd pick Petrov any day. Kovalainen is awesome but just doesn't seem suited to F1 cars. But depends if Vitaly is available.

marc

CF Legend
Petrov fell out with the team though just like Nick.

Tbh would be great to see a rookie given a chance.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Hmm, if Petrov will get a chance to drive for Lotus next year, then there will suddenly be 3 Russian Formula 1 drivers. It could be quite interesting to watch, considering that they'll also have a home race in Sochi.

marc

CF Legend
They are in due to money simple as that, mind you the not are Str looks ok.

Perez seems to be out at mclaren next year god knows where he will go if anywhere.