What's new

Formula 1™ Topic

Pierre

Strata Poster
Looking forward to F1 again this weekend.

Two three week breaks in the season already - its not always like this is it?

nealbie

CF Legend
Pierre said:
Looking forward to F1 again this weekend.

Two three week breaks in the season already - its not always like this is it?

Same Pierre!

And no, not normally. It's because they got rid of Turkey.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Weren't they running them to the limit though? Not sure if that's what happened with Di Resta as I only caught a bit of practice but I did hear them saying to Hulkenberg to stay out until his tyres had gone.

marc

CF Legend
They are over hearing and falling apart, lewis at the last race had this happen after a few laps so that was not the cause of his.

Paul today had not over done it on them either.

There seems to be a bonding issue, the tread should not come off like it is.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
marc said:
I liked Turkey, shame that went and Spain stayed.

Yes, great track.
And with the new aero packages and etc **** tracks like Spain can stay now and it's OK :(

Great win for Alonso! Really makes his stupidity at Malaysia hurt extra...I tell ya that will bit him in the ass when all is said and done.
Great result for Kimi as well, he is on a helluva streak of point finishes and is looking like a legit contender this year.

marc

CF Legend
They are changing the tyres after Silverstone, I think it's needed as today was a bit of a joke.

I know it's the same for everyone and that's why just about everyone was driving well within themselves. Things seemed ok until the 1st stops then it got silly.

Just hope it does not effect Lotus too much.

I know people will disagree and each to their own.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
22nd straight point finishes for the Finnish driver, and 4th podium of 5 races in '13.
And to think Kimi used to be inconsistent!

Yeah, overall they've been fine enough but Pirelli hasn't impressed me since their F1 entry (re-entry I guess)

marc

CF Legend
Kimi was never inconsistent, he has only ever spun out of a few races and makes so few errors.

He's the most talented driver on the grid, yes more than Alonso. He just does not put in the effort others do, he just wants a good car and he does the rest.

People forget kimi joined F1 after one year driving single seaters, he was not even in f3. He started f1 under probation as people did not think he was ready.

Mclaren cost him 2 world championships and Ferrari probably 1. Ifs and buts yes and things happen, that's the way it goes.

His last year with Ferrari was not great but the car was a pig, yet when he could win he did.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Pffft I agree. I've said since I've started watching I think he was the most talented driver in the field (and post Schumi there was zero doubt about that) but yeah, he was kinda inconsistent.
Sure largely was the car, but they all gotta deal with the equipment they were dealt.

Look at what Alonso did with the Ferrari last year.
I always figured it was Kimis.....erm, less than dedicated attitude. It's amazing he can pretty much show up and be that good, but always wondered what if he ha that Schumi or Vettel like dedication? He seems to have really mature though and fact is, look at this amazing result he's had. If he can keep this up and work a few wins in it'll be damn hard to beat him.

Fernando looks great as well. I wouldn't mind another 2005 fight : D

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
EthC said:
ooh an F1 topic! Just my cup of tea. Well I have to say I hate the tyres at the moment, they die off way too quickly, I wanna see racing not constant pit stops. For Spain next week I hope Alondo or Hamilton wins, and I hope webber at least beats vettel, cos im not really liking his attitude to things at the mo.

Who is? :lol:
I used to defend Vettel to boot, but that punk move really put me off

I LOVE Webber but gotta face reality (much as I tried to resist) he is a bit off the pace and Vettel is just better.
Much like Massa and Button (drivers who I really like as well) I appreciate the times but I hope they go soon so better talent can get those seats.

marc

CF Legend
Kimi and Alonso both raced when ms was still in his prime though. Alonso beat him to the title twice and kimi ran him really close once in 2003 I think the year was. Kimi had a great year in 2003 in only his 3rd year.

It was hard for kimi to do better when the car kept breaking and he kept getting grid penalties due to engine failures in practise sessions.

Sorry I just don't agree with you.

Plus there is no way of knowing that kimi would not have done that last year in the Ferrari. Plus had alonso actually scored the points Massa did in the last 6 races he would have been champ. That's not taking anything away from alonso btw.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Indeed 03 was the year, many said the unreliable McLaren killed Kimi's chance to beat Schumi BUT he had his own issues, as well as difficulties to overcome.
'03 '05 and '06 were GREAT titles for those guys.
So tough to separate pure skill from all the rest involved but I think Kimi and even Alonso may have been better straight up talented than Schumi.

Really no point debating I guess, coulda shoulda woulda.... Alonso could easily be a 5 time champ now but what can ya do?
Just hoping for another awesome battle till the end.

nealbie

CF Legend
JJLehto said:
22nd straight point finishes for the Finnish driver, and 4th podium of 5 races in '13.
And to think Kimi used to be inconsistent!

You leave Kimi alone! :p

Marc's right, Kimi has ALWAYS been consistent, it was his consistency that kept him in the title fight in 2003. He finished 2 points behind Schumacher despite the German having 6 wins to the Finn's 1.

The Williams and McLaren cars were better than the Ferrari that year (and the Renault at quite a few races), but Montoya's title charge wilted because of his lack of consistency, Raikkonen missed out because he had a couple of retirements (aside from which, he almost always finished on the podium). Schumacher won because, as Marc said, he was in his prime and pretty much unstoppable). Despite the failings of the Ferrari and the Bridgestone tyres on a lot of tracks, when it was respectable enough he was good enough to make up the difference and win the race. His 6 wins accounted for 60 of his 93 points that year! In the other 10 grand prix he only scored an average of 3 points (equivalent to a 6th place finish in 2003) - not exactly a championship contending car that! :lol:

Let's have a look at "inconsistent Kimi" from 2003 shall we?

Australia - 3rd
Malaysia - 1st
Brazil - 2nd
San Marino - 2nd
Spain - Retired (Car stalled in front of him)
Austria - 2nd
Monaco - 2nd
Canada - 6th
Europe - Retired (Engine failure)
France - 4th
Britain - 3rd
Germany - Retired (Hit by Barrichello)
Hungary - 2nd
Italy - 4th
USA - 2nd
Japan - 2nd

So yeah, 10 out of 13 finishes on the podium, definitely inconsistent. ;)

marc

CF Legend
The worst thing about that bloody engine failure was kimi was miles in the lead :(

Plus Canada he was up to 3rd I think and had a puncture.

2 other wins got away from him due to his own fault. Speeding in the put in Australia and fissi getting past him in Brazil.

But ms was stunning that year but the points system back then made it take nearly the whole year for him to catch kimi.

Was a great year though.