What's new

Formula 1™ Topic

marc

CF Legend
Yes Smithy that's what I mean, the racing outside the DRS stuff.

We can look forward to no action at the next race.

marc

CF Legend
Enjoyed moto gp tonight and the Indy Car race.

Great to see Sato win and Dario finally finish a race this year. Still to this day wish that Dario had been given a chance in F1.

Great to see Will Power finish no where, cannot stand him. He's great when out front in the best car but cannot cope in traffic and when the cars not 100%.

Do not see anyone in Indy Car that could ever make it in F1.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
GP bores me, never knew why but I could never be into it.

Well...there is a reason that F1 is F1 and Indy (or CART/Champ Car when it was around) are in their places.
The guys who can't make it in F1 need some place to go!
I'm a huge Dario fan, hope this can turn the season around after that dreadful start.

nealbie

CF Legend
The only person that has PROPERLY gone from Indy/Champcar to F1 is Juan Pablo Montoya.

I genuinely don't understand why the driver quality is so poor. It takes someone COMPLETELY dominant in America to be average in F1 (Anyone remember 4 times Champcar Champion Sebastien Bourdais?).

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Though he was in a pretty crappy car and paced pretty much the same as his team mates, except for Vettel but can't compare to him. And even for a while Vettel wasn't doing any better than Bourdais. Had some bad luck that cost him better results too.
But yeah the fields can be pretty weak. Or F1 is just that brutal. Even the backmarkers have a ton of talent and just need a chance. So yeah you have to be a stud to make bottom 4 quality in F1

Do wonder how Dario would've fared in F1

nealbie

CF Legend
Are you serious? Please look into things before posting.

Yes, he was in a Toro Rosso so we can't have expected him to win, but over 2 seasons in F1 in 27 races he beat his teammate TWICE!

He's even worse than I remember him being LOL! :lol:

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Thanks for the arrogance but I did.

I'm looking at overall results not just finishing higher.
STR2B: Pretty much same as Vettel
STR3: Was very outpaced by Vettel but he's a top 3 talent
STR4: Pretty much same as Buemi. And Alguersuari didn't fare any better.

So yeah, overall results aside from Vettel (who's an unfair comparison) he fared as well as his other teammates. Not that he or any of those others are F1 caliber obviously.

nealbie

CF Legend
He didn't beat Vettel in any of their races in the same car (although I agree, Vettel's quite good), but so poor was he that Toro Rosso sacked him after he only finished ahead of Buemi in Malaysia and Bahrain.

He was then replaced by Alguersuari, who competed at the same level as Buemi for two and a bit years 13-12 in favour of the Spaniard. Neither of which were brilliant. :p

Smithy

Strata Poster
I used to like Bourdais. Not sure why as he wasn't anything decent.

When he cried in the interview :(

marc

CF Legend
His mouth is and was his problem.

Cannot fully remember but I'm sure in Italy, the race vettel won, he was actually faster in the race than him but had to start from the back and not 4th due to a car problem. Thing is though vettel was leading so was probably not taking all the risks, That was probably his best race, the car was not bad though and vettel was also up there in Brazil and other races and he was not.

Jpm had more resent European experience as he tested alot for williams so he had the advantage.

Andretti was bad, really bad. Mind you he did have Senna as a team mate lol.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yesterday was all about Donington and the Tour Cars, surely? :p Overtaking due to skill and bravery, action with one car sideways down the Craner curves as everyone comes over the hill at 130 MPH and avoids them, nobody playing bumper cars for a change and a fantastic .013 photo finish in the Clio cup after a last minute overtake on the final chicane.

Speed, action, excitement and drama and this year it's even better as the cars all seem to be very even on the pacing - everyone has a chance to win a race no matter what chassis they have under them. No event is decided by what happens in the pits ;)

Peter

Hyper Poster
I was at Donington yesterday watching most of it from craner curves and the old hairpin. I've never followed btcc before but got invited to go watch so though I'd give it a go.

The racing was superb and the highlight being the Sunday clio cup race which was brilliantly entertaining. You generally find in motorsport that the lower the series the better the action. Really good day out, significantly cheaper than F1, more track action and you're also allowed to freely walk through the paddock/meet drivers during the day. :)

Even so, nothing will drag me away from F1 anytime soon. Yesterdays race was superb and watching Perez bash everyone out of the way was great. Screw what button thinks, Perez should drive every race like that :p

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

jayjay

Giga Poster
I would watch more BTCC if it wasn't so time consuming. I find you either have to be fixed to the TV for the entire day or make an effort to remember when the Touring Car races are and be there. It's a shame because I used to be really into that. And I think Oulton Park is in uni term again, so I can't go to see it :(

the lower the series the better the action.

It's really unprofessional, but my favourite TOCA series used to be Ginetta Juniors. There's so much fun in watching what happens when you put 14 year olds in massive cars.

Peter

Hyper Poster
The Ginetta juniors are a support race for the btcc so were out at the weekend too. Its amazing that they're only 14 years old, but as you said, means lots of silly mistakes. I'm not sure if the rules have changed, but they were limited to 100bhp so the cars are no longer that powerful. Still, they're rear wheel drive and weight only 800kg so must be pretty exciting to drive.

I wish I could have been driving one of those at age 14....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

marc

CF Legend
I used to watch BTCC when it was good back in the 90's. just find it to fake now and not enough top cars.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
marc said:
just find it to fake now

Yet you continue to watch F1? :p

I know what you mean though, it seems to be a constant battle over regulations to make the races interesting off the track than on - but the action on the track is still as lively as it ever was and there are a LOT of cars this year. Hardly any manufacturer teams, but lots of cars. I think it says a lot that the Manufacturer Hondas aren't doing as well as a privateer Honda - if the skill on the track is there, then the machine becomes a little less relevant which is what makes it much more interesting to watch. I wish I had the patience for LMS competitions.

EthC

Mega Poster
ooh an F1 topic! Just my cup of tea. Well I have to say I hate the tyres at the moment, they die off way too quickly, I wanna see racing not constant pit stops. For Spain next week I hope Alondo or Hamilton wins, and I hope webber at least beats vettel, cos im not really liking his attitude to things at the mo.

marc

CF Legend
I think today's Indy car race is one of the worst races I have ever seen.

Don't the drivers know how to not crash and hit walls. Plus ESPN keep going for adverts every few mins.

No wonder why the series has so many problems.