What's new

Formula 1™ Topic

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
Just saw a tweet from Jake Humphrey saying that BOTH Saubers have been dq'ed due to rear wing infringement =[

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Flawless performance by Vettel.

Hamilton did well especially with his underfloor problem later on, but after Vettel's monstrous first lap he was untouchable.

Button could have done better against Massa, but given how much the dirvers and teams still have to learn about the driver aids, 6th place wasn't a bad result.

Alonso did himself no favours at the start, and his race really suffered because of it. Massa can't continue for many more races like this, or he'll be looking for a drive very soon.

Petrov had a cracking race, but he'll need a few more like this to really cement his place this year.

There's much more to happen from this season, I'm looking forward to the next race with those two long straights at Sepang to see how things shape up.

Will

Strata Poster
Tomatron said:
I'm looking forward to the next race with those two long straights at Sepang to see how things shape up.
Yes! And hopefully a bit more success for the car with the fastest straight line speed :--D

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Will said:
Tomatron said:
I'm looking forward to the next race with those two long straights at Sepang to see how things shape up.
Yes! And hopefully a bit more success for the car with the fastest straight line speed :--D

It'll be interesting to see how the cars shape up on the Tilke-designed circuits compared to others.

Tilke puts at least one long straight followed by a hairpin on all his designs, so it seems tailor-made for the driver aids on paper.

Martyn

Giga Poster
Tomatron said:
^Anyone know what was the infringement on the rear wing?

The Sauber cars contravened FIA Technical regulations with regard to dimensions at the rear of the car.

The concave radius of sections of the 3 rear wing elements in contact with external air were smaller than the legal 100mm.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
^FIA fail for Sauber!

They are going to appeal the decision, so this may drag on (no pun intended) a while.

marc

CF Legend
Was a very average race feel bad for the Sauber drivers as the wing problem did not actually help either of them. They could have just been told to change it for the next race.

I was expecting to get up after my nap to find Lewis had been DQ but nope as they found the plank was ok and no advantage from the damage.

Webber and Massa omg what are they doing, both of them getting trashed by their team mates. Button should have just given Massa that place back I do not know why they thought they could get away with it.

Vettel done what he needed to do, just drove the best car on the track without problems.

Next race will be the true test to see where the teams are and to see if the changes made to the cars work or not. All I noticed was they use the rear wing get in the slip stream hit the rev limit and thats that.

Was nice to see the new boys do well and for Paul to be on the same pace as Sutil.

peep

CF Legend
I actually managed to watch the first 30 minutes of the race before leaving for work and it was quite interesting to see Vettel just flying through. I only just caught the Button mess up on that corner. Anything else of interest I should know about?

Still very new to all this F1 malarky and I fully blame last years weekend trips with Richard, Will and Neal for my new found interest. I'm going to try and keep up to date with all the races etc. Got a feeling I'm working again on the day of the next race. Might see if I can get it on one of the monitors at work.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Average race. It was fun finding out who could be interesting to watch this year (definitely interested in watching Perez and Petrov's progress).

Anyway, what did everybody think about the new features in practice? I'm personally not a fan of the adjustable wings. Overtaking on the straights from the extra speed feels really artificial and doesn't need as much skill as getting somebody on (or out of) a corner. Also, I haven't actually read properly what the change with the tyres are, but are they designed to degrade faster? If so, that feels like a very silly method of stuffing more pitstops in. If last year proved anything, it was that the sport didn't need pitlane leapfrogging to be exciting.

Martyn

Giga Poster
Heh, my team is terrible.

I originally picked Vettel but got rid of him in favour of having two drivers instead of one (Rosberg and Perez) thinking that they may earn more points combined, and Vettel may have the inevitable few DNFs.

Doesn't seem to be working like that, though.

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
Man I'm doing pretty crap in the league.

Teach me for choosen Sutil and Alonso. I friggin' hate Alonso, AND Ferrai, why did I choose him?

I liked the race, thought it was a bit more eventful then Melbourne.

Still, Vettel's a ****.

marc

CF Legend
I am doing ok at the moment and tbh I do not think I will make any changes, I was thinking of swapping Webber with Lewis but Webber will get 2nds soon.

jayjay

Giga Poster
It was a better race than Melbourne, though I had to watch the BBC3 highlights so the boring bits were cut. Might be a factor. I really can't wait for the race where Vettel has to do some actual racing so I can be reminded of how crap he is a racer. I'm still not a fan of the DRS. If you let the person behind use it if he's within a second, then it just appears like a magic overtake button.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I'm sticking to my Germans no matter what. Just wish I hadn't changed my mind about Schumi when I switched back to Nico at the last minute (20 points down the drain). Could have had an extra 117 points if I would have picked Adrian instead of Nico in both races, which would have put me in 3rd place in the league. Will be interesting to see where I finish at the end of the season with an all German team.

marc

CF Legend
So it was Alonso that complained about Lewis then despite saying on camera it was one of them things.

I hope Ferrari just fail this year.