What's new

Formula 1™ Topic

marc

CF Legend
A lot has come to light today but early reports are mclaren won't be with merc in 2014 and are probably building their own engine.

So the move is more aimed for 2014.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Mark said:
ATTACKHAMMER said:
I think Hamilton is a bit stupid moving to Mercedes. McLaren are quick he had done well there, if MSC 7 times world champion can't get much out of the car then what will Hamilton do?

Hmm, I agree that it is a bit daft moving to Mercedes. Although, I am not sure that using Schooie as the basis for what the car can do is in entirely convincing. I just think that he hasn't entirely recaptured his old pace etc. It will certainly be interesting to see what Hamilton can wring out of the car.

I just don't see how it can be a great move to go from McLaren to Mercedes. Sure he wants more world titles but can Mercedes help him get there? I don't see it myself. Don't get me wrong, I love watching Hamilton drive but I can't help feel that this is more to do with money and being allowed to do more 'celeb' type stuff (endorsements etc) which McLaren wouldn't allow. The thing is, to be a World Champion you need absolute focus. If he is going to start going off doing all random PR rubbish its only going to be a distraction. I don't think his management team are the best people for the job either. 19 Management are known for being brilliant in terms of celebrity status, but in sport... im not convinced. Yes, yes, I know Beckham is a sportsman and is also signed to them but I think that case is totally different, a)he is a footballer, the most 'celeb' of all sports and b)he is winding down on the footie and therefore carving out career options in other areas. Does Hamilton need to do that yet? I wouldnt have thought so. I can't help feel that this move is more money/status related than it is about achieving more in F1 and if that is the case, im dissapointed.

Ross Braun on Sky News Said something like Lewis will help us develop the car into a title contender. I know Mercedes have the awesome double drs system but a lot of work is still needed. Lewis does do a bit of PR in some mclaren cartoon but your 100% right focus is the key.

marc

CF Legend
It will still happen Bernie has little say in regulations, plus a lot of money has already been spent.

It's also ms fault that he has no drive, had he made up his mind about next year none of this would have happened. What I will laugh at is if the team build the best car out there and ms missed his chance to win again.

Colossus

Giga Poster
^ I love Micheal Schumacher and would hate for him to miss out on a drive next year but you`re right in the fact it is his fault, unless he can seal a decent drive for next year, which I don`t think he will, then he should just call it quite and be done with it.

What I`m interested in now is who will be driving for Ferrari next year as Sergio Perez appeared to be the hot favorite to replace Massa, but obviously not now.

marc

CF Legend
Ferrari messed that one up just like they did with kimi when he went to mclaren, they don't take risks on drivers anymore.

Martyn

Giga Poster
I'm happy Sergio didn't go to Ferrari. Not while Alonso's still there anyway. I really like Alonso, but being his team mate must be a right pain in the arse!

marc

CF Legend
^Yes as if the team mate is faster he throws his dummy out the pram lol.

Tbh I totally respect alonso now, he's done an amazing job this yeah.

Perez wound be a number 2 at Ferrari and it wound destroy him like it did with Rubens and now Massa. At mclaren he should be able to beat Button.

T0M

Hyper Poster
Oh well, bring on next season where we'll see what Lewis Hamilton is made of and if he is mature enough to handle the failures of an uncompetetive car for at least an entire year.

Mark

Strata Poster
^indeed we shall. Although to be fair, he has had at least one of those at McLaren too.

I really hope he does well and everything, I just don't see it myself.

Martyn B

CF Legend
So Lewis has come out and said that next year he will not be challenging for the title, as they dont have the car to do that..... so why go there then?

If he's left Mclaren because they're going to be changing things in 2014, fine, but leave for a better team!

T0M

Hyper Poster
The new engine regs now look to be scrapped, but he has always said he "wants to win" which is bollocks. He has let his managers have too much power, or he just wants to become a Beckham-esque superstar. He won't achieve either at Mercedes - at least not quickly.

marc

CF Legend
He said he is bored at mclaren and wants a challenge. That is what he said on tv.

He does not want to jump in the best car and just drive he wants to work with a team to improve and help move them forward. Even though it would be so funny if they do build the best car next year.

Alonso, ms have done this in the past. Alonso has even said lewis is doing the right thing to get out of mclaren.

Don't get me wrong mclaren are the team I supported from 1988, but under Martin I am not as keen. He seems to make stupid calls and tbh mclaren have won **** all under him.

Not sure where your getting the info from about 2014? Ferrari, Merc and Renault are all ready to test their engines on track. Bernie is the only one who does not want them but the engine makers do so it's happening.

bmac

Giga Poster
marc said:
The New Jersey race is off now until 2014.

Makes my year already. You have no idea how badly I don't want Formula 1 racing on Jersey streets, especially in that area. They basically need to tear up and update the entire circuit before it should even be considered to run a car on those streets.

marc

CF Legend
It's no worse than Singapore tbh, if you watched the gp2 race you would see how bad that track looks during the day.

I had no problem with this race, it would have all been on new tarmac, and could have been better than a lot of these new rubbish tracks.

I can never see this race happening now anyway I always thought it was just a kick for Texas like donnington was for silverstone.