What's new

Formula 1™ Topic

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Smithy said:
Vettel is a good driver in a great car.
The same can be said of Webber, but he can't hold a candle to Vettel.

marc

CF Legend
Don't get me wrong he's a bloody good driver, very fast etc. I just don't think he's as good as alonso or tbh even lewis and kimi.

The last race vettel got really lucky, broke his front wing went off under the safety car. Lewis broke down, 2 cars got taken out. Had safety car periods at the right time. You have to make the most of luck and take it when you can.

At Sepang lewis was 20 seconds in front of alonso when the safety car came out. Alonso got lucky there and Valencia.

There were a number of races this year though when webber just blew vettel away. When the car was good vettel was good but when the car was so so webber had his measure.

This year though lewis has totally destroyed button, the points do not tell the story at all.

It's always hard to say as we don't know the setup but I think if you had lewis alonso and vettel in the same car vettel would be 3rd. As I said though its hard to say.

Smithy

Strata Poster
ECG said:
Smithy said:
Vettel is a good driver in a great car.
The same can be said of Webber, but he can't hold a candle to Vettel.

Webber is an ok driver in a great car. He also seems to always be the one who suffers with reliability issues (swear his KERS breaks down every other race).

Back at the start of the season when tyre wear was more severe (rubber graining all over the place) the older drivers like Webber and Button were performing well, since the cars have become refined the drivers who can push it to it's limits more have excelled.

As above, not sure if I'd rank Hamilton ahead of Alonso but Vettel is definitely in 3rd.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Sorry, but I have to disagree about Vettel. Last week driving from last (twice) to finish on the podium had as much to do with his driving skills as with the car

No, that was lady luck I'm afraid.

Like I said, this year has basically proven that he isn't an amazing driver, and it's all down to the car.

Martyn B

CF Legend
What a race yesterday!

Well done Button, and congrats to Vettel, though it wasn't the result I wanted.

Mercedes must have something big up their sleeve for Lewis....

nealbie

CF Legend
Once again Vettel lucked into it. How his car didn't break from an accident of his own creation I'll never know - and then all of the cars in front of him got into accidents. Eugh.

Feel really sorry for Alonso, he's finished 3 points behind a driver in a car a second per lap his superior. He's been fantastic. I hope Vettel knows he really does not deserve his 3rd title and he's still only earned his first one!

Felipe was brilliant this weekend, the best #2 Ferrari could possibly have! <3

On a personal note, (I know I'd already won it a few races ago) picking Button, Alonso, Massa and Schumacher meant I won the Fantasy F1 in style! ^_^

jayjay

Giga Poster
accident of his own creation
I'm as much a Vettel hater as the next guy, but getting divebombed by somebody coming from a couple of car lengths back can't really be considered your fault.

By the way, I can recommend watching races like that next to an overenthusiastic Force India employee. He went through pretty much every overblown emotion in existence in that race and there was much yelling and swearing during the Hamilton incident.

marc

CF Legend
I was upset for nico but it was his own fault he should have waited as he was faster than lewis.

It was actually vettels own fault as well, Bruno was far enough down the inside. The rules state that if any part of the car is along side that counts as a pass. Bruno was in control of the car so it was not like the nico and Hamilton crash.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I agree that it was Vettel's fault & he was lucky to be able to finish the race & edge out Alonso, who was the better driver throughout the year & the best driver currently competing. The thing that upsets me the most with Alonso is that he's now lost more titles in the final race of the season than (titles) he's won (3-2), which is a distinction he definitely doesn't deserve.

marc

CF Legend
It's very interesting reading stuff online.

Why was vettel not given a penalty for taking Bruno out the race?

There is also video evidence of him passing an str under yellow flags. Nico was given a penalty. Vettel also did not slow down under the yellow flags.

There are about 4 things he could have got a drive though for. He's a lucky boy.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Senna was off the racing line and tried to undercut people so the contact was adjuged to be his fault moreso than Vettels.

The passing under yellows was actually red and yellows (Brundle said on Twitter) that were out to indicated it was slippy.

The only thing he was lucky with were his car not being retired, and the safety car allowing him to close right up. He always seems to luck out with safety cars though.

marc

CF Legend
Smithy will post the video later, he passed a torro Rosso under yellow flags.

Vettel was also not on the racing line, senna had enough of his car down the inside, vettel should have left space.

Here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFER0esusF0

Now please tell me Vettell did not pass under yellow flags, in 1993 Senna got a penalty even though the back marker backed off and let him pass under yellow. Vettel was at full speed and did not back off.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Ah I wasn't aware there was more than the one issue, I was referring to the HRT incident as that's the main one I saw being questioned after the race.

Ferrari won't appeal it.

As for the Senna thing, he is on the racing line, the clip of it shows that some cars are sticking to the inside but most are following Vettels line of wide into turn in. At no point is Senna ahead of Vettel, so Vettel has every right to turn in. Senna comes from two cars back on the inside to a gap that isn't there, and is the only car taking that line into the corner.

marc

CF Legend
The rules state if any part of the car is along side then it's a pass. Senna had 1/3 of his car along side.

Senna was taking the over taking line as he was over taking.

It's a racing incident but not all the fault of senna like vettel is making out.

Yes Neal I think they will not either.

nealbie

CF Legend
Ferrari will make it known they're aware they're the rightful victors though. LOL

Smithy, Vettel came to take an apex that wasn't his. There was two cars deep inside him. What Marc (and many others, including myself) is saying is that it was Vettel's fault that the incident happened and his responsibility for Senna and Perez's retirement. Something he should be penalised for - which is causing an accident. He had plenty of room to stay wide.

Best part of that incident though is showing what a fantastic driver Kimi is. He realises instantly that he's in the middle of a massive lock up, and instead of smashing straight into the back of Vettel, he jumps off the track to avoid an accident. Vettel on the other hand, creates a crash that should have taken him out of the race (and championship) instead of just staying on the outside. You can't move to take a line that you know is to be filled by cars that can't go anywhere else.

It's not even a rookie mistake. It's the sort of thing Will would do on the PlayStation! XD

marc

CF Legend
There are also stories that Massa let alonso pass under yellow flags but that's not on video.

Ferrari would not win anyway just like mclaren did not in 2007 when they found out Williams and BMW Sauber were illegal due to fuel being cooled to much.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Aye but then Vettel's a knob when it comes to blaming other drivers.

And Neal Senna came from a mile behind, he was trying to undercut too many cars well off the racing line of even the most cautious cars, it wasn't that Vettel didn't give him enough room, it was that Senna just essentially barrelled into him (at least from the onboard footage of Senna that I watched before posting). There was no car inside of him when he turned in, Senna was two cars behind Vettel as Vettel was turning in for the corner, he flew up braking far too late and tried to take a line that was never going to work with cars on the outside of him.