What's new

Formula 1™ Topic

I've actually been fascinated with why Michael performs so poorly at Singapore (the type of circuit he usually excels at) and since working at the opticians, my optometrist (who also loves F1) has provided me with what appears to be the answer - his vision.

It's a well known fact that Schumacher (and De la Rosa for that matter) wears multifocal contact lenses (ie- varifocals but in contact form), which means he suffers from presbyopia - something pretty much everyone will get from age 40 onwards. In lamens terms it basically means the lens that controls the contraction and expansion of the muscles around the eye hardens to such an extent that it can't refocus, so you need glasses to do your distance, reading AND intermediate.

Presbyopes unfortunately suffer even more so in the dark and in artificial light, making refocusing speeds even slower. So this random inability to judge gaps to moving objects could very well be caused by that. As he was still VERY quick in both Monaco and Valencia.

Just a thought. I found it interesting at least xD

Hmm, that is very interesting, it could potentially raise safety questions about night racing. Ok, so Michael and Pedro are both known to have this particular eye condition, what if more did?

I mean, I suppose you could take the view that technically, he is not 'fit' to drive the car in those conditions and therefore he is a safety risk, but it would seem a tad harsh to stop him racing at the circuit at night on that account. Could they really just ban a driver from that particular race on the grounds that his eyesight isn't upto the job? I wouldn't have thought they could BUT the whole thing does raise safety questions as I say. If it is that condition causing a random inability to judge gaps to moving objects its questionable as to whether that is an severe accident just waiting to happen?

I agree Mark. I think it's all the more fascinating that it's the collision of two new things coming together in F1 - night racing and drivers racing into their mid 40's at the highest level.

What's even more interesting to note is that in this modern world of phones, computers, games consoles and tv; presbyopia is starting a lot sooner because we simply overuse our eyes. It can't be long until even drivers in their mid 30's are affected by what is a natural aging of the eye.

Personally, I think they would sooner stop the night racing then start banning drivers for individual races, that would just be ridiculous.

However, they made a point of making a real fuss of Singapore this weekend, and the fact that Bernie has extended the contract till 2017?? From what I have seen of Singapore, at least at night, the circuit has a certain mystique and glamour about it. During the day it looks even more meh. Id rather they didn't just go for daytime racing tbh.

Didn't I hear Schumi say in the interview after the incident (while the race was still in progress) that he hit the brakes early and nothing happened? He seemed to indicate that it was a mechanical problem, as he had seen what was happening in front of him in plenty of time to react.

ECG said:
Didn't I hear Schumi say in the interview after the incident (while the race was still in progress) that he hit the brakes early and nothing happened? He seemed to indicate that it was a mechanical problem, as he had seen what was happening in front of him in plenty of time to react.
Yeah then later he was meant to say he simply broke to late.

marc said:
We should find out today that ms will be leaving at the end of the year.

Don't believe everything you hear from Eddie Jordan!

Martyn B said:
When Schumacher retires again, I will also be retiring from it

Jeez, are you really that obsessed with him?

It's a childhood thing which I have never really grown out of, something which many people here should be able to relate to. :lol:

The sport is constantly slowing down and is effectively being sabotaged in terms of speed and thrill, so yes I would struggle to retain an interest. I actually find this new Formula E concept to be more interesting than 2014 F1 featuring family car engines.

So looks like today it will me lewis to merc :(, Perez to Mclaren.

Then ms to Ferrari and Massa to Sauber!

Edit.

Just been on the news lewis has replaced ms at merc.

This sort of all makes sense if you think about it, and if the various rumours are to be believed:

McLaren's Vodafone sponsorship expires at the end of the 2013 season. Sergio brings Telmex to the table, meaning they don't have to renew Vodafone.

Sauber need money, so Gutiérrez may replace Sergio, also bringing Telmex backing. Gutiérrez isn't great, but it's all about the money isn't it. Alguersuari has apparently been quite confidently vocal about having a drive next year, so maybe it's at Sauber.

Lots of fairly reliable sources claim that Vettel at Ferrari in 2014 is a done deal. If that's the case, whoever's alongside Alonso will only be there for a year. That suggests that Massa will probably stay!

Lewis could be really good at Mercedes, who knows? It'll certainly be interesting to see him drive the car anyway. As much as I dislike him, he is very good!

I'm interested in seeing by how much Perez destroys Button and how much faster lewis is than nico.

Next year should be interesting on the driver side.

2014 is also a lot of the reason for this move. Mclaren are meant to be either building their own engine or going with someone else. We shall see.

I think 2013 will be a write off for lewis though, the car won't be designed with him in mind. Again though time will tell.

Ferrari have just about said no about ms going to them, he's also in talks with Sauber. I think he should retire now.

Can't see him going to Sauber, unless he pays for it himself!

He'll end up in DTM for a bit I reckon. Probably start taking the piss out of Ralf again if we're lucky! Heh.

I think Hamilton is a bit stupid moving to Mercedes. McLaren are quick he had done well there, if MSC 7 times world champion can't get much out of the car then what will Hamilton do?

ATTACKHAMMER said:
I think Hamilton is a bit stupid moving to Mercedes. McLaren are quick he had done well there, if MSC 7 times world champion can't get much out of the car then what will Hamilton do?

Hmm, I agree that it is a bit daft moving to Mercedes. Although, I am not sure that using Schooie as the basis for what the car can do is in entirely convincing. I just think that he hasn't entirely recaptured his old pace etc. It will certainly be interesting to see what Hamilton can wring out of the car.

I just don't see how it can be a great move to go from McLaren to Mercedes. Sure he wants more world titles but can Mercedes help him get there? I don't see it myself. Don't get me wrong, I love watching Hamilton drive but I can't help feel that this is more to do with money and being allowed to do more 'celeb' type stuff (endorsements etc) which McLaren wouldn't allow. The thing is, to be a World Champion you need absolute focus. If he is going to start going off doing all random PR rubbish its only going to be a distraction. I don't think his management team are the best people for the job either. 19 Management are known for being brilliant in terms of celebrity status, but in sport... im not convinced. Yes, yes, I know Beckham is a sportsman and is also signed to them but I think that case is totally different, a)he is a footballer, the most 'celeb' of all sports and b)he is winding down on the footie and therefore carving out career options in other areas. Does Hamilton need to do that yet? I wouldnt have thought so. I can't help feel that this move is more money/status related than it is about achieving more in F1 and if that is the case, im dissapointed.