What's new

English Football 2009/2010 Season

^Probably, but you're not a Wolves fan Ben, you're a glory-hunter since you SHOULD be supporting Northampton regardless of how crap they are...

However, if you wish to take such a stance and Palace win, much gloating will naturally occur...

Nemesis Inferno said:
^Probably, but you're not a Wolves fan Ben, you're a glory-hunter since you SHOULD be supporting Northampton regardless of how crap they are...

To be honest, the notion of supporting your 'local' team is ridiculous, since so few (if any) of the players come from the local area.

To think that the football team you like best should be dictated by the place you were born (or where you live) is laughable.

^Why is it laughable Lain?

Because the players aren't from the area? Ok...

Is that why a lot of the lower league teams field youngsters from the youth system? Which takes young'uns from the local area?

To tell someone, "You're from this town, so you have to support this team." is a bit ridiculous, don't you think? You should be allowed to choose which team you support, not have one assigned to you at birth.

Is that why a lot of the lower league teams field youngsters from the youth system? Which takes young'uns from the local area?

I think it's great that the lower league teams employ local talent, but with the budgets they have, they don't really have any choice. Look at Notts County - as soon as they got some money, they went out and bought a bunch of non-local players.

I don't think there's anything wrong with supporting your local team, but I do think it's pretty wrong to tell people which team they should support.

^And using Notts County as an example shows everything that is wrong with the modern game...

It's all about money even more than it used to be... And the bigger teams ALWAYS get the benefit of the doubt...

What I dislike is people changing teams Lain, for here Ben didn't have any team until this year when he decided to support Wolves cos they were in the Premiership... And I wouldn't be suprised this week if Man Utd 'supporters' are hard to find... Maybe a lot of Leeds fans though...

Nemesis Inferno said:
What I dislike is people changing teams Lain, for here Ben didn't have any team until this year when he decided to support Wolves cos they were in the Premiership... And I wouldn't be suprised this week if Man Utd 'supporters' are hard to find... Maybe a lot of Leeds fans though...

Ah, fair enough. Supporting a team because they win is a bit silly (and I've have seen a couple of Leeds 'fans' spring up today xD), but I never take Ben too seriously when it comes to sport. :p

From the 2005-06 season (when we got to the UEFA cup final!)

A positive for the Boro fans was the final home game of the season against Fulham, where 15 of the 16 squad members were from the local area (the exception being Malcolm Christie). Lee Cattermole captained the team for the match and became Boro's youngest ever captain. It was also the first all English line up in the Premier League since Bradford City in 1999 and the first all English match squad since Aston Villa in 1998.

Although I tihnk we lost the match, it was still a proud today to support my local team! Full of local players! In the Premier League too!

And that was the year we DIDNT get relegated XD

Ermmm I realise this doesn't bring much to the topic as the 'dispute' has already been resolved... so ... ermmm... I was disappointed we lost but we put up a valiant effort yesterday.

I didn't watch the second half, cos I thought it would be rubbish. Can't believe I missed that. One thing though, it was ridiculous how empty the ground was. I realise that it's a midweek cup replay, but even so, I've nver seen a top club ground so empty.

Players & coaching staff from Liverpool Football Club visited Liverpool Childrens' Hospital earlier this week.

"It's nice to be able to put a smile on the faces of those less fortunate than us, who are facing an uncertain future and a long uphill struggle." - said James, aged 6, in Ward 3.

Awesome draw for Dave eh?

Bloody good goal from Wolves that caused the replay... Probs good for Palace since we need more monies... Possible even more good times with Villa awaiting the winner...

3 of the big 4 out as well, Man City and Chelsea will probably be well up for winning the cup now...

Mother ****ing Southampton vs Portsmouth. Hahahaha

We may win, as we'll have our players back from Africa then :p