What's new

English Football 2008/2009 Season

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Mainly my home team VB Stuttgart, Spurs, Liverpool & Inter Milan. I also support teams that friends of mine play/played for (Villa, Everton, Rangers & Bayern Munich + Fulham, Sunderland, Millwall, Borussia Moenchengladbach, Wolfsburg & Padova), in addition to the teams I played for (FC Augsburg & SpVgg 07 Ludwigsburg). I also enjoy watching Arsenal, Real Madrid & Barcelona.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
My friends that currently play in the Prem are just Brad Friedel & Timmy Howard, but Kasey Keller, Claudio Reyna, Brian McBride, Joe-Max Moore & Johnny Harkes all played premiership footy as well.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Right back. Back in my day us Yanks only made for decent defenders & goalkeepers (other than Harksie). Now days it's only goalkeepers & midfielders.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
East Coast(er) General said:
My friends that currently play in the Prem are just Brad Friedel & Timmy Howard, but Kasey Keller, Claudio Reyna, Brian McBride, Joe-Max Moore & Johnny Harkes all played premiership footy as well.

Well are you lucky or what? I have met Ian Rush, and thats about it! Although thats making meeting our all time highest goal scorer sound like nothing.

So your a right back? I'm a goal keeper myself, and I'm pretty good, I would like to think, and my record with penalties over 5 years is about 50% saved, but I don't play for anyone, sadly.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
It's just that there aren't many of us Yanks that get to play abroad and therefore we're a pretty tight group. The competition for a place on a team in Europe or South America is much tougher than here in America, so if you played here you'd have a better chance of making a team. Now days the kids here have an American league to play in, but when John Harkes & I played there was no choice but to play abroad.
Harksie was lucky enough to play for the National Team when they qualified for the 1990 World Cup in Italy and got noticed by Sheffield Wednesday. I on the other hand never played on the National squad, but grew up in Germany and managed to work my way up through the youth leagues into a semi-pro team.

I'm watching the Everton-Villa game and I'm pulling for the villains. Timmy should have saved that feeble penalty kick, but Brad surely wasn't at fault for the Everton strike nor for guessing the wrong way on the penalty. I hope the second half is as good as the first & that Villa come from behind for the win or at least draw level.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Quite a busy start that was, but Everton won 3-1 in the end. I have to admit, I like Friedel, think he is a good keeper.

Pierre

Strata Poster
Shame the other Yankee goalkeeper Tim Howard is gunna get knocked out the FA Cup after the mighty boro beat West Ham then destroy Everton!

COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/rose tinted specs]

robbeal

Hyper Poster
Pierre said:
Shame the other Yankee goalkeeper Tim Howard is gunna get knocked out the FA Cup after the mighty boro beat West Ham then destroy Everton!

COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/rose tinted specs]

Yeah, those specs are blinding you from the world Pierre. You'll not be destroying us fella![/genuine specs]

That's an impressive list there Jerry, never realised you had a footballing background! I've had a soft spot for a lot of the Americans in the Premiership, especially Brad Friedel, he's probably one of the finest keepers the country has seen. We've gone through our fair share of americans at Everton too, with Brian McBride and Joe-Max, and Timmy Howard at the moment. They've done us well over the years!

Pierre

Strata Poster
Half my prediction was right... so far!!

Went to the game last night, was pretty good atmosphere too! Cracking free kick from downing!!

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
robbeal said:
I've had a soft spot for a lot of the Americans in the Premiership, especially Brad Friedel, he's probably one of the finest keepers the country has seen. We've gone through our fair share of americans at Everton too, with Brian McBride and Joe-Max, and Timmy Howard at the moment. They've done us well over the years!
I'm afraid that's the only reason I support Everton Rob. I've always been a Liverpool fan due to watching them play in Munich in my youth & the influence of my grandfather, uncle & cousin in Dublin (all Reds fans). My cousin even managed to have his house number changed to Anfield. :lol:
Timmy & I only know each other from his playing days here with the MetroStars when I would interview him after games, but Brad, Joe-Max & Brian are real buddies of mine. Joe-Max & I are still in constant contact thanks to Facebook (he lives in Cali) and I see Brian from time to time now that he's back over here playing for the Chicago Fire, but I can't wait until Brad hangs up his boots & gets his butt back over here so we can hang out together again. However, that will likely take a while with the way he continues to play.

Ketchup

Mega Poster
Out of interest do you know how well Freddy Adu is doing?

A few years back he was going to be the talent who was going to put US football on the map, I know he's at Benfica (On loan to Monaco) but was he just overhyped like crazy or is he still likely to be a world class player people were claiming he was set to become.

Just interested and thought you might know.

In other news my team (Plymouth Argyle) are screwed. Haven't won a game since boxing day and are dropping nearer and nearer towards the relegation zone. I just a fake franchise club like MK Dons don't replace us in the Championship.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
All has become quiet on the Freddie front. He wasn't even called up for our big World Cup Qualifier against Mexico a couple of weeks ago. :(
He definitely has the talent/potential to become the player he was hyped up to be, but he lacks consistency. He plays in streaks more than any other player I've seen.
He had a great U20 World Cup and earned a spot on the full National Team squad, but he faded out once he returned to his club due to lack of playing time. I think he needs to play for a smaller club where he will get constant playing time, but it has to be at a higher lever than MLS has to offer. I wish he could play in the Eredivisie (not Ajax, Sparta or Feyenoord), the 2nd Bundesliga or even in the Championship as those are the only divisions that offer a higher lever of play where he could get a regular starting role.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Best news I've heard for a bit, Rick Parry is gone at the end of the season. Frankly, his departure can't come soon enough. I despise the man, he was responsible for Gerrard's near-departure after the European Cup win, and is behind alot of the trouble in the board room and with Rafa. With the yanks owners back in America and Foster gone, Parry was pretty much in charge, and that was disasterous. In my opinion, Rafa would have signed the contract moths ago if it was not for Parry.

Time for a party!

PS: Champions League game went quite good, but we need to attack better and some of pur passing can be poor and why do we do 35 yard back passes from an attack? End of the day though, we deserved to win, it was a good performance, and they were very poor. I don't rate Madrid, but was expecting more from them. Not looking good with Torres being out though, we have Borro at the weekend, and that had 0-0 written all over it even before Nando got ruled out.