English Football 2008/2009 Season

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Of course! Now that was a real thing of beauty. :--D

nealbie

CF Legend
Yes indeed it was, and I do agree his goal this evening was most certainly quite similar to that one. Although not as brilliant and slightly lethargic :lol:

Pierre

Strata Poster
Boro look completely lost... they give a spirited performance then when they concede a goal they crumble... Man Utd away, Chelsea away, Man City away... all brilliant until we let one goal slip, then just lost all interest in attacking...

I just got HD in for the weekend, and hoped todays matches would cheer me up, watching some high quality football in high quality... but the matches themselves were poor as a spectacle... shame.

Pierre

Strata Poster
Double post but just saw on MOTD... Tony Adams widely expected to get the sack in the morning according to a lot of press sources!

Theres no denying they've been awful since he took over, but a lot of it was bad luck, and he hasn't been in charge long. A bit harsh I think.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
They should wait until summer to make a decision, but he was too inexperienced as a manager, so was Ince, he had only managed lower teams. How did Southgate manage it?
Managers don't get long enough these days. Avram Grant should still be at The Bridge, how is a European Cup final, something Moron-iho never managed, a failure. Hope Grant takes over at Liverpool, he is a superb manager.

Pierre

Strata Poster
He'd be long gone if it was any other chairman. How many other clubs will put up with 13 league games in a row without a win in the Premier League?

I do like him, but its just not working out sadly.

Portsmouth have confirmed Tony Adams has left the club this morning too.
F.A Cup this weekend is a very welcome break for Boro fans! The result doesn't really matter (which means we'll probably win the bastard)

spicy

Giga Poster
I feel sorry for Tony Adams I don't think he had a chance. The money was not available they sold their best players and didn't replace them, pretty hard to expect success when you do that.

nealbie

CF Legend
Blaze said:
Managers don't get long enough these days. Avram Grant should still be at The Bridge, how is a European Cup final, something Moron-iho never managed, a failure. Hope Grant takes over at Liverpool, he is a superb manager.

Yes, if it wasn't for Abramovich thinking his toy should win every tournament, Grant would still be the boss of Chelsea. (But mind you, if the Abramovich thing wasn't an issue then Mourinho wouldn't have been sacked :wink: )

What did they get with Avram last year? 2nd in the Prem, Champions League and Carling Cup? I think Roman just got pissed off with always coming off second best, in a way getting to such high profile positions and just failing is probably worse than not coming anywhere at all for such a big club!

And I severely hope that Grant does not take over at Liverpool! Why are you even wanting Benitez to be removed? I know his tactics are a little odd and appear to be utterly crazy at times, but they seem to work to an extent. Just think about it, we are many point up on last year, we could even get higher than last year tally in the next 4/5 games! He's made an ever improving side which seems to be gelling quite nicely over time :p

I've not seen Liverpool win the title in my lifetime, so I don't mind waiting longer to get it, but he is (in my eyes and the majority of Kopites) the man to do the job. Liverpool are getting to the stage that Valencia got to under him as "a machine", although we do fail epically without Torres and more importantly Gerrard!

Blaze

Hyper Poster
But Beni lost the plot at Valencia and had a big falling out with the boardroom over the same things that are happening now here, with the signing policy. I think he has done an amazing job that no other manager could have managed, but now he seems to be loosing it and he is getting more like Gerard Houllier, he made a great start but then lost it, became paranoid and obsesed with the media and statistics. Although to be fair, his rant at Fergie was hillarious, and did not deserve to be ripped apart for it, he just said what we all think. And why did they not do the same to Moyes when he said refs fixed our games? Without getting paranoid and aggresive, the press do love Utd a bit much. If Benitez does go, I wuld like to see Avram Grant take over, I rate him very highly, but if the owner problem does not resolve itself before the summer, we will go into administration, which is a much bigger problem than who is in charge.

Emmett

Giga Poster
^****ing hell, I did'nt see that one coming. Okay so they have been struggling a bit lately but they are still only 7 points off the top. It just seems that they have already given up on winning the title and decided Scolari can go. I suppose the Drogba situation had an influence too.

I understand the Tony Adams sacking but this one is a surprise to me. Sorry Pierre but Southgate must be the next favourite to go.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Paragraphs? What are these strange 'paragraphs' you mention?

Chelsea's season is over. I doubt they will get anyone in now, and judging who they have sacked, not many managers will be willing to take it on. I guess third place in a league you were at the bottom of a few years ago is not good enough anymore...

Dave

CF Legend
See the problem with the new managers like Ince, Adams, Southgate is that they have almost chucked in at the deep end and its almost hasn't worked that well. Southgate has come off better than the others.
They need more experience in the lower leagues about how to manager a squad, how to motivate and get the experience in transfers.

Oh, Basinas looks to be a good player.

nealbie

CF Legend
southend_marc said:
I also think the Liverpool manager will go.

I hope not, but it is an interesting one. :?

The owners are definitely leaving in June, the banks will not renew the loans with which they bought the club, so they have to sell and someone has to buy it (or as Blaze says, Liverpool will go into administration!).

Benitez hasn't lost the plot, he has just lost the backing and support of the outgoing owners, of which there is much importance. He is a fantastic manager, whom tactically at least is one of the best in the world!

If Hicks and Gillett were not being forced to sell Liverpool, then yes I would say that Rafa was on his way out the door very soon, or the end of the season at the latest.

BUT (and this is a big but), the Americans are leaving and with it their disliking for an all powerful manager with regards to player selection in the transfer market.

Emmett said:
****, I did'nt see that one coming. Okay so they have been struggling a bit lately but they are still only 7 points off the top. It just seems that they have already given up on winning the title and decided Scolari can go. I suppose the Drogba situation had an influence too.

I understand the Tony Adams sacking but this one is a surprise to me.

Scolari's departure is no surprise at all considering it is Chelsea. Again, if it was any other club then I would be absolutely stunned! Avram got the boot despite finishing 2nd in three of the 4 competitions that Chelsea contested. And Jose was pushed out shortly after finishing 2nd in the league and winning the FA Cup.

I have always maintained that it was a huge mistake by Abramovich to sack Mourinho, is without doubt the best manager in the game at the moment. Both on a tactical and motivational level.

And who is going to take the job after Scolari, he's also a top coach and there's not many left about. The only one I can think of is Frank Rijkaard, in a bid to revive his managerial career. Other than him I can think of no one who would take the task on!