What's new

English Football 2008/2009 Season

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Exactly, the sock robbers of kirkby. Will be fined, but it will be worth it. Genious, hilarious. I wonder who first thought to do it. There were Tesco bags in our area for the same reason.
For those who don't know, Everton are trying to move out of Everton and out of Liverpool, to Kirkby and supermarket Tesco are involved. The piss taking has never let up since the stadium glued to a Tesco supermarket plans first came out.
They can't really call themselves Everton if they move out of Everton, so will it become Kirkby FC?

Slash

Giga Poster
^ No thanks. I've only just finished doing mine.

Saw the Villa game last Wednesday for FA, we thrashed Doncaster Rovers. If anyone is interested of course.

I'm not really a big footie fan but I do like to go to a game (only Villa of course) when I can. otherwise I'm not really a follower.

A

Anonymous

Um Blaze Bolton don't play in Bolton they play in Horwich. And I'm sure there are more than one or two teams that don't play in the city town or village there named after.

nealbie

CF Legend
Lain said:
Blaze said:
They can't really call themselves Everton if they move out of Everton

Really?

What town do Arsenal play in?

Holloway :wink:

But they were initially set up in Woolwich and were named after the "arsenal" of weapons that is there. (Hence why they are known at "The Gunners").

So Arsenal is a bad example because they were never named after the town that they played in, just the big guns and weapons depository, so they were then known as "The Woolwich Arsenal" :roll:

However (as Kitsune has pointed out), Bolton is a good example of this.

Dave

CF Legend
Cheeky Spanish ****!

I would've LOVED if we drew! But still Liverpool scraped it, which is just lucky ;)

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I thought it was over when Pompy scored the 2nd as well, especially without Gerrard. Torres came through in the end for the 2nd week in a row. Didn't think he had enough time to make a difference, but it only takes a second to score! Good game indeed. :--D

Will

Strata Poster
While I'm glad they did, as it keeps the title race interesting for a bit longer, from what little of the action MOTD offers, it really looked like Portsmouth deserved to come off better from that encounter, so it was something of a surprise when Liverpool got back into it - makes you wonder what little would be left of the side if they were to lose Gerrard and Torres simultaneously however...

And as for the Hull game... ARGH! Almost as annoying as Villa's game last week, as once again, the ball stubbornly refused to cross the line, despite countless opportunities to do so - a victory was definitely deserved there as well, which similarly speaks volumes about Chelsea's current form. Their next game should be an interesting one...

Can't remember a lot else worth commenting on, except that Shay Given was on notably impressive form, and thoroughly enjoying himself for Man City - though presumably anyone would be glad to get away from Newcastle on their current form, slightly improved as it may have been today...

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Lucky win. We desperately need more strikers than just Torres, can you count Babel, Kuyt and N'gog as strikers? No.
Good win though, and puts us top until United inevitably win West Ham.
Ps, Everton are not named after a town, but a district of Liverpool, which is why I said it. Then again, they did start out in L4, otherwise known as Anfield, so the name Everton has only been justifiable since 1892.

Dave

CF Legend
Blaze said:

Is this the same Babel that missed from 3 yards?

Blaze said:
Lucky Win

It wasn't a lucky win! You did score in the 90th minute, like late victory? When if Torres was on at the start he could've mullered the Portsmouth defence?

nealbie

CF Legend
Dave said:
Blaze said:

Is this the same Babel that missed from 3 yards?
That's the one! :roll:

Dave said:
Blaze said:
Lucky Win

It wasn't a lucky win! You did score in the 90th minute, like late victory? When if Torres was on at the start he could've mullered the Portsmouth defence?
It was slightly fortunate, in that he had enough time to make an impact. But as you say, yes he probably would have made a mess of the Pompey defence from the start. (as opposed to being used as an impact player)

But now instead of looking like an idiot, Benitez now looks like a tactical genius! :lol:

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
icon_censored.gif
ing Spurs! Should have taken the points after going up a man so early on.
icon_censored.gif
!

ryan462

Hyper Poster
Spurs should of really won today. It was our best chance in years to beat Arsenal in the league, especially when eboue got sent off.

Can't believe Modric's chance in the 92nd minute :(

On the bright side, its 2 dropped points for Arsenal and with Villa winning yesturday they will hopefully lose their top 4 posistion. :roll:

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Giggsy's goal was almost a nice as the one he scored in the 1999 FA Cup Semi-Final Replay. Absolutely fantastic (I have to admit even though I don't like ManU).