What's new

Emerald Park News/Discussion

icedmosquito

Roller Poster
Was at the park today, rides are smooth thrilling and fun, theming excellent, but I ran into Charles coyle, he was saying that the caste cones will be open on Wednesday and the boomerang station will be worked on over the year apart from the roof which will be done in October when they reduce days again.

rollercoaster2

Mega Poster
Someone uploaded the documentary on the park to YouTube. Very interesting and goes up to the present day and new area.

Last edited:
So the new creds are being billed as the "longest intertwining coasters in Europe?"

Are we just forgetting that Taron and Raik exist?
I guess it depends how you define intertwining, as Raik kind of sits underneath Taron, whereas Quest goes over and under Na Fianna multiple times. Quest is also longer than Raik.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I guess it depends how you define intertwining, as Raik kind of sits underneath Taron, whereas Quest goes over and under Na Fianna multiple times. Quest is also longer than Raik.
Total combined length is much shorter.

Technically neither of them fit the main definition of intertwined very well... Quest passes over a few times and then under... And Raik passes under a couple of times and then 'almost' over... Should be over under over under at the very least if you want to imply they're 'twined together.'

But they both kind of fit the other definition...

• connect or link (two or more things) closely.
    "as with most traditions, fact and fiction have become inextricably intertwined"

Either way, Merlin eat your heart out, it's a pointless record mentioned in passing to elevate the coasters to something they're not...

P.s I chose Taron and Raik as the easiest comparison for comedic effect... As they're a direct comparison (almost.) If we really want to be pedantic, coasters like Stampida, and Joris fit the definition of intertwined much better. :)

witchfinder

Giga Poster
They also could have gone for "Ireland's only coaster that goes upside down" but everything has to be complicated doesn't it.
They already tried that with their own woodie though, didn't they? ;)

As for longest intertwined coasters in Europe based on their definition, surely Icon/Big One/Steeplechase/Big Dipper? wins that :D

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
My first visit yesterday… Coaster is ok, good in fact… But either the perks thrown in for media or the excitement of opening / media day, has definitely influenced some of the earlier reviews.

It’s good, I don’t understand how it’s made some peoples ‘top x’ lists though. 🤷🏻‍♂️

It’s smooth, hyper smooth. Has a great first drop, that gives some good airtime in the back, for an invert. There’s some very good, sustained, positive forces into several of the turns, felt like some were way over 4g. The inversions are profiled well, as we’ve come to expect with newer vekomas, the roll after the station fly through was a particular highlight. The airtime hills near the end caught me off guard a little. Not intamin / rmc strong, but much stronger than I expected from an invert, actually felt a bit ‘weird,’ but in a good way.

The new area was nice, and definitely looks like it 'will be' top quality. But at the moment, there's still so much construction work happening, and so many bits unfinished, that it somewhat takes away from the experience. Why do parks keep opening areas unfinished nowadays?

Overall a solid ride though, and could easily make your top 5 if you’ve only visited parks in the British Isles. But if you’ve travelled further and often, it’s probably not going to be ranking in anything other than your ‘top Vekomas’ list, and even then, I wouldn't put it top.

I'm now glad I didn't make the trip over before this was built, as even with this new area, we were finished, and getting bored by 2pm, having hit almost double figures on all of the main coasters.

Our very own @Rollercoaster David has the best review I’ve seen, still on the more positive side than my own would be, but definitely by far the most balanced and informative review on Youtube if you haven't watched it already.

Ultimately, a really nice coaster, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get out there and ride it again. I would however consider adding it onto a trip elsewhere, now that I've discovered I can save money transiting through Dublin airport if I want to fly almost anywhere from East Midlands. :)

Last edited:

emoo

Hyper Poster
Media influencers influenced? Noooooooooooo.

Why do parks keep opening areas unfinished nowadays?

Flucht von Novgorod chuckles from 2009, I still don't know what the temporary scarecrows heading into the enclosed tower were replaced with. But its not a good sign of the times. Better than mechanical issues and downtime though, what an odd year.

If we are debating pointless records then surly "Irelands only" covers just about anything - yet they still pick something like that.

0rdinary-her0

Roller Poster
Why do parks keep opening areas unfinished nowadays?
It allows these smaller, privately owned parks the ability to spread the investment of the ride experience over multiple financial terms rather than one large lump sum. Opening the ride definitely brings a boost in attendance while the park chips away investing in building the greater storyline/ride experience which will draw more visitors once the theming is completed. I think it's a great strategy for fantastic, memorable ride experiences versus the cheaper themed/not themed coasters at majority of American parks.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
It allows these smaller, privately owned parks the ability to spread the investment of the ride experience over multiple financial terms rather than one large lump sum. Opening the ride definitely brings a boost in attendance while the park chips away investing in building the greater storyline/ride experience which will draw more visitors once the theming is completed. I think it's a great strategy for fantastic, memorable ride experiences versus the cheaper themed/not themed coasters at majority of American parks.
But these things stick... Still to this day people think Aqualantis is unfinished, and now it's not recognised as one of the best themed areas in Europe if not the world, due to the way it was opened. But Aqualantis, finished, is absolutely one of the best themed areas in Europe, there's only really Phantasialand and Maybe Europa Park that have done any better outside of Disney. Still, it will never get the recognition it deserves now.

Same goes for their new area. A stunning area, but all that people talk about is how unfinished the headline attraction looks.

Nemesis and Hyperia suffered similar fates here in the UK (And Merlin are by no means small.) Incredible coasters, both in fairly good areas, but because they're unfinished, that's what many people's memories of those areas will be.

Na Fianna Force is a good coaster, and the area looks like it has potential to be up there with the best (It reminds me of Smoczy Grod actually, one of my favourite areas.) But being able to enter the area unfinished has spoilt that somewhat. It's not just unfinished in this case, it's very obviously still a construction site, and those areas are way to visible, and impact on the guest experience quite a lot.

Having said that, if they're in the position where, financially, they absolutely needed that boost in numbers this season, then I fully understand. It's a big investment, and they don't have a lot of headline attractions, so opening 2 coasters of this quality, in any state, should surely drive attendance. It's just a shame, because finished, that area is probably going to have a wow factor that's unmatched anywhere in the British isles outside of maybe Paultons. However, I don't think it will get the full extent of the recognition it will deserve now, as they've had their press day, they've had their ceremony, they've had their chance... At least not internationally. And I do think that's a shame.

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
As they've had their press day, they've had their ceremony, they've had their chance... At least not internationally. And I do think that's a shame.
Funny that's brought up now, they can always do another round of press. Bayern Park officially inaugurated their FirleFranz coaster last week, even though it opened last year. They had not yet built up one of the launch tunnels in terms of thematic completeness, and that was done this offseason; https://www.facebook.com/bayernpark...bLWd97mQDy1A2DJ5d3uiAfEe1w4ZMKGs9Kh8umfAdHeSl

rollercoaster2

Mega Poster
But these things stick... Still to this day people think Aqualantis is unfinished, and now it's not recognised as one of the best themed areas in Europe if not the world, due to the way it was opened. But Aqualantis, finished, is absolutely one of the best themed areas in Europe, there's only really Phantasialand and Maybe Europa Park that have done any better outside of Disney. Still, it will never get the recognition it deserves now.

Same goes for their new area. A stunning area, but all that people talk about is how unfinished the headline attraction looks.

Nemesis and Hyperia suffered similar fates here in the UK (And Merlin are by no means small.) Incredible coasters, both in fairly good areas, but because they're unfinished, that's what many people's memories of those areas will be.

Na Fianna Force is a good coaster, and the area looks like it has potential to be up there with the best (It reminds me of Smoczy Grod actually, one of my favourite areas.) But being able to enter the area unfinished has spoilt that somewhat. It's not just unfinished in this case, it's very obviously still a construction site, and those areas are way to visible, and impact on the guest experience quite a lot.

Having said that, if they're in the position where, financially, they absolutely needed that boost in numbers this season, then I fully understand. It's a big investment, and they don't have a lot of headline attractions, so opening 2 coasters of this quality, in any state, should surely drive attendance. It's just a shame, because finished, that area is probably going to have a wow factor that's unmatched anywhere in the British isles outside of maybe Paultons. However, I don't think it will get the full extent of the recognition it will deserve now, as they've had their press day, they've had their ceremony, they've had their chance... At least not internationally. And I do think that's a shame.

To be fair in the documentary on the park on TV the owner was saying he absolutely did not want it open unfinished but unfortunately, and you see it in the construction footage in the doc, a lot of time was lost due to weather stoppage on site. They had actually already delayed opening due to delays.

It is unfortunate I agree but it's also a small independent park so I would not be overly critical.

Thankfully the work is continuing as there are workers on site.

It's also important to note a lot of it appears finished. I think it's just the Quest station and some other relatively small additions left?

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
To be fair in the documentary on the park on TV the owner was saying he absolutely did not want it open unfinished but unfortunately, and you see it in the construction footage in the doc, a lot of time was lost due to weather stoppage on site. They had actually already delayed opening due to delays.

It is unfortunate I agree but it's also a small independent park so I would not be overly critical.

Thankfully the work is continuing as there are workers on site.

It's also important to note a lot of it appears finished. I think it's just the Quest station and some other relatively small additions left?
There is unfortunately a big area of construction too, restaurant I believe. The ride areas actually look decent, they’re even fairly well landscaped. I mean, it’s not matured yet, but it looks nice nonetheless. Unfortunately a construction site is the main view you get cresting the lift hill of Na Fianna Force.

Screenshot 2024-06-12 093541.jpg

The station area for Quest appeared to have been flooded overnight too, so that probably didn’t help with appearances either, with it also looking unfinished.

I understand their position, and overall the area does look nice, but I have to, and will, judge them the same way I’d judge any park, including other small ones. They’re not the first small park to come into criticism for not finishing new areas, and won’t be the last. However they do appear to have gotten less stick for it than some other equally small parks, from other enthusiasts. So I wouldn’t worry too much. :)

Like I said, it’s a shame, because many people who’ve visited already will never see it finished now… At least not until they open something new.

Funny that's brought up now, they can always do another round of press. Bayern Park officially inaugurated their FirleFranz coaster last week, even though it opened last year. They had not yet built up one of the launch tunnels in terms of thematic completeness, and that was done this offseason; https://www.facebook.com/bayernpark...bLWd97mQDy1A2DJ5d3uiAfEe1w4ZMKGs9Kh8umfAdHeSl

Yeh they could do another press day. AT just did one for their ancient water park, without adding anything new. But is anybody actually paying any attention? I saw the thumbnails and titles, even from Youtubers I like, and didn’t click on them.