What's new

Dorney Park | Iron Menace | B&M Dive Machine | 2024

JoshC.

Strata Poster
An overview of the layout...

dp-23-ironmenace-mediagallery-infographic.jpg

It feels like they've taken inspiration from Baron 1898 both in terms of theme and layout (by no means a bad thing!).

jasone

Roller Poster
POV and B-Roll:

While the name is lackluster, absolutely love the small layout sequence on this one!

Hate the name considering it will probably have very little themeing to make it make sense. However, love the layout. An extended Baron, love the addition of the tilted loop into the corkscrew. It almost feels like Baron and The Swarm have been tacked together, which isn't a bad thing at all. Only thing missing is an airtime hill along the layout.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Oooh I was planning to hit this park next year. Nice little unexpected bonus B&M cred. Sweet!
Not the most exciting layout ever, but looks solid enough.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Looks good. I like the layout. Really interested to see how that inclined loop rides. Seems to take some decent speed in that off-ride, so could be some fancy forces there.

Lacks a bit of theme/landscaping for me. Although if they did go all out on theming I suppose it would look out of place at Dorney, but I'm not sold on the theming basically being an ugly shed. At the very least it would've been nice if they freshen up the section around the drop, instead of it just being on flat open land.

Sticky_T_Wicky

Roller Poster
I don't know why but both the chain lift and the holding "brake" being the same chain just fascinates me. Great addition to Dorney! Off topic but my gut says something like this is heading to Valleyfair for 2025 as it'd fit perfectly on the old dinosaur's alive plot of land.

MagicMountainFan

Roller Poster
I think that while this will be popular and a good investment by Cedar Fair, it's a shame that their first new coaster since 2012 (which isn't even around anymore) is a dive which are generally underwhelming simply because of the length after the first drop. It seems like it has a decent amount of elements, but similarly to my reaction to Zambezi Zinger when I thought there might be Oriental Express 2.0, it sucks that after such a long wait for local enthusiasts this is what they're getting, especially when there are better rides for a cheaper price ta. However if it is a successful investment then hopefully Cedar Fair invests in another coaster in a few years, especially as there are major cities to attract people from. I personally think that if CF makes the park better than it can be more popular than Hersheypark for locals and make a good return on investment.

ViperGTS500

Roller Poster
I think that while this will be popular and a good investment by Cedar Fair, it's a shame that their first new coaster since 2012 (which isn't even around anymore) is a dive which are generally underwhelming simply because of the length after the first drop. It seems like it has a decent amount of elements, but similarly to my reaction to Zambezi Zinger when I thought there might be Oriental Express 2.0, it sucks that after such a long wait for local enthusiasts this is what they're getting, especially when there are better rides for a cheaper price ta. However if it is a successful investment then hopefully Cedar Fair invests in another coaster in a few years, especially as there are major cities to attract people from. I personally think that if CF makes the park better than it can be more popular than Hersheypark for locals and make a good return on investment.
I mean ZZ got pretty good reviews from what I heard. I doubt CF will invest in another coaster there in the shortcoming years. If they were trying to compete with Hershey, they already would of busted out the big guns and ammo a decade or so ago..

Christian

Hyper Poster
The coaster seems pretty good, a great addition for a usually neglected park.

I just cant get over the name. I am really getting tired of these totally meaningless names. Wtf is "iron menace"? Can iron be menacing? Maybe. Does anyone feel threatened by iron? No.

Same case with "steel vengeance". Is the steel going to vengeance something?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I just cant get over the name. I am really getting tired of these totally meaningless names. Wtf is "iron menace"? Can iron be menacing? Maybe. Does anyone feel threatened by iron? No.
I guess the term could apply for some residents of Kiruna, who have to abandon their houses due to subduction caused by the iron mines beneath the town.

Granted, the government gives them new, fancy houses instead, because the mine is profitable enough to afford that, but I guess there must be some people who'd rather keep their house and be without the "iron menace".

Christian

Hyper Poster
I guess the term could apply for some residents of Kiruna, who have to abandon their houses due to subduction caused by the iron mines beneath the town.

Granted, the government gives them new, fancy houses instead, because the mine is profitable enough to afford that, but I guess there must be some people who'd rather keep their house and be without the "iron menace".

Well, this would a briliant coaster name for Kiruna. A tiny town, far up north, in the middle of nothing.

Another Swedish example of being threatened by iron could be our "Iron Pipe Scandal" from 2010. Three high ranking nationalist politicians went out in Stockholm and proceeded to physically and verbally abuse foreigners and women. They armed themselves with iron pipes. Nationalists with iron pipes is a threatening sight, especially if they sit in parliament. More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_pipe_scandal

So this coaster name would be briliant for Sweden. Let's have this coaster switch names with Valkyria.

Last edited:

emoo

Hyper Poster
It's more than a menace! Apparently, more to be revealed 7 September: https://fb.watch/mrkE2h2oKd/

Ryan the PR guy from Dorney gave some interviews and from the Coaster Studios one had some notes on the name.

Roughly "When the name Iron Menace was suggested it just felt right ... one of the quickest naming processes anyone involved had been a part of. It felt so perfect." Then discusses how its tied into the local community of the park, a good move if there is that connection to the target and most likely audience although that is how we got Steel Curtain.

Its a whatever name to me, not the worse and not like the park has been able to build much skill in naming rides let alone a new coaster. Naming stuff is hard. Brings new life to the park either way and hey, the impulse stays!

CaliAngel

Roller Poster
B&M Dive coasters are such a wildcard for me. I found nothing redeeming in Valravn at Cedar Point, in fact I could pretty much skip that ride entirely, but Sheikra at Busch Gardens was great. I don't want to blame the vest restraints but I can't put my finger on any other reason why they're such vastly different experiences. If it wasn't for the great rides I had on Sheikra, I'd probably write off B&M dive coasters entirely, kind of like I've done with their wing coasters that really don't do much for me either.

I *am* interested in how these beyond 90 degree dives are from B&M, if they provide some actual airtime on the initial drop, and I wonder if Valravn could have benefited from that. I do kind of wish they would have nixed 1 of the inversions and put an airtime hill somewhere in this layout, like maybe instead of the corkscrew.

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster