What's new

Derek's Dueling Coaster Comp

scw55

Hyper Poster
Shame the person didn't show an overview of the track or highlighted bits where both trains interacted. It felt like they both co-existed.
Haven't seen a proper duelling coaster yet using two different coaster types in my eyes. Fire also felt a little slow to get going.

reddude333

Giga Poster
Sorry I haven't gotten the chance to post the results yet. I was hoping for a few more user ratings but I guess I will just have to make do. That said, I know what the rankings are but I would like to write up some thought-out reviews in addition so it will be a couple days perhaps until I post the results. It is finals week for me and I am stressed enough as it is but I will do my best to finalize everything ASAP.

Colossus

Giga Poster
That`s ok fella, get em in when you can, I would rather there was a meaningful opinion behind the results, then just the results.

Josh73

Giga Poster
Not that it concerns me, but I'm sure the other competitors think that finals are more important than RCT3, so if this competition take away from valuble study time, I'm sure it's fine.

reddude333

Giga Poster
Alright, the results are in...

In fourth place we have scw55 with a score of 71.5/100

Your design was very unique and the interaction between each side was maintained almost completely throughout the layout. Where your entry suffered has already been pointed out numerous times by you fellow CFers. This greatly hurt your technique score as, although I wasn't grading based on realism, your coaster was not out-there in all ways, just those inversions. Your scenery was clean, but honestly quite typical. I was hoping to see a little more effort put forth in the theming of your ride. The layout was also basically just a jumbled mess (which can work sometimes) but it didn't seem particularly inspiring to me. That said, there are various qualities of Dueling Insects that are commendable. As I said before, the timing and interactions were great and maintained for much of the layout. Your strongest category was "Interaction" and it's easy to see why. The first half or so of the layout was very interesting and very nice to ride, I just wish you could have kept it going in that direction. And as others have mentioned, you should consider adding brake runs at the end of your coasters. Speaking of what others said, you suffered greatly with user ratings and that was ultimately the reason you ended up in last.

In third place we have thekingin64 with a score of 75/100

First off, I'd just like to say, this is definitely the best I have seen from you thus far. You are by all means the most improving member of our little CF RCT3 community. Every time you enter another contest, your entries get much better. But I must be a fair judge, and as much as this was much better, I'd like to see you putting more time into your entries in the future. I understand what it's like to get on a creative streak and just go to town and finish all in one go...but when you are "done" look over it and see what more you can do to improve the little things. Fixing some of those little things could have put you in the running for a higher place. Even still, I marked you down significantly for "Interaction" as I felt these coasters just didn't seem like they did much with each other (not to mention you didn't sync their start times). I personally have nothing against them being (basically) mirrored coasters, although it may have hurt your rider's choice ratings. A major issue for me was your lack of flooring and additional theming inside of your buildings. Adding more in each place would give your coasters more character and really make them more complete experiences. Another small thing (and people here really seem to hate it) is when you have the coaster run through a tree. I agree though; it's unrealistic and would never happen in real life. Just a general tip for you: use scenery everywhere, not just around the track. When you are on a ride, you see more than just what is right next to you (especially in high places) so cover up that barren land and give it some life. As for the user ratings, you didn't do so well there but it did give you the edge over scw55, who was only a little behind you in my grading. Good work!

In second place we have portemine with a score of 90.5/100

It was great to see a new person on the RCT3 forums and even better that your work is of such high caliber. Your entry was bold, creative, edgy, and quite an enjoyable duo in my opinion. The idea of using two different manufacturers and such different coaster types was great. So what if someone else has done it before...yours was significantly better in my opinion. The terrain, although off-putting at first, really grew on me and the fact that I know you must have put a lot of effort into it was a great case for your coaster. Scenery was nearly flawless (aside from that little mishap with the station flooring, which I didn't really take into much consideration). The timing was great and I loved the interaction. Some thought that your entry lacked enough interaction but to me it was the quality of the interactions that was so impressive, which is why you got a perfect score in that category. I truly had no idea who would win (Classic or Current) until the end which was great. That little bit at the start with the double up before the lift hill for Classic was kinda sloppy but again, not too big of a deal. Perhaps a bit too much straight track but it was used in the right places. I can tell you have a lot of experience with RCT3 and it really showed here. Glad to have you as a new member to our community and hope to see more awesome stuff out of you. Oh, and for user ratings, well, it was really a toss-up on whether you or Colossus would win it, I think people just weren't all fans of your distinctly unique style (I like it though :p)

And our winner...COLOSSUS!!! With a score of 92/100

When I saw that first picture in your entry, I knew it was going to be hard to top. Such an epic shot for an equally epic coaster. Great presentation! Professional looking, stellar layouts, and fantastic interaction. Fun from beginning to end. I really liked the usage of those canals. It gave me more of a rush and was just a really fun setting. I think my favorite part was actually the bit where Hercules peels off to the right and then comes right back to meet up with Hades. The little hops before/after the vertical loops was a bit sketchy but alright. To be honest, I was wondering how you were gonna bring them together at first but as they went on the interaction became more more dominant and was well done. I liked the indoor section...it wasn't realistic at all but cool that you could see the other trains from either ride. I think that would be an awesome element in real life (kinda like your own variation of the "high-five" element). The layouts were very complex and I don't think I could have asked for more from them. Amazing job and definitely deserving of first place. I'd like to note, in my personal ratings I only had you edging portemine by .5 points out of 60 which meant the decision would essentially come down to the riders. That being said, I am glad to see that there was general consensus that yours was best. The naming, as was mentioned by someone, was a little mythologically off as neither are titans but I really didn't care. My one downside of an otherwise nice presentation was that friggin' music. Don't get me wrong, I loved it for a period of time but I realize how overused it is now. Regardless, it was fitting for the theme you went with and obviously everyone else liked it, haha. You pulled off a tight win but tremendous nonetheless. Brilliant work mate! :-D

The good news, everyone got a passing grade! No "D's" from my students...haha, on no, I am waaay too much in school mode. Anyway, if any of you want to come to my office hours (oh God, I'm doing it again)...I mean, if anyone wants the specific scores to see where they got high marks and where they can do better, reply below or shoot me a PM. Glad to see that this competition was such a success and I would love to host another sometime if you all would approve.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster

(Felipe Massa at the 2008 Brazilian Grand Prix)

This guy taught me how to lose with genuine class - too bad he's not been the same since :s.

Congratulations to Colossus who really deserved to win, as I said before, his creation and presentation was utterly amazing. Great job !
I'm a highly competitive person, almost always entering a contest to win it. Thus I'm indeed disappointed at the results. However it's been an immense pleasure to take part in this competition : without this, I wouldn't have imagined and crafted Compromise. I rediscovered the game, its potential, I learnt to play faster and even though I came 'only' second, I'm proud of what I've done.
Also congrats to scw55 and thekingin64 for their coasters which showed creativity and dedication. Thanks to reddude, this contest was an excellent idea.

Anyway, as Formula One starts over this weekend, count me in CP10's Intamin contest, I'll be back to share my experience of this great game, haha !

[EDIT] : Oh and, by the way, I intend to organise my own contest, right after CP10's. I have already ideas for this and I'm looking forward to what you could deliver ^^

Colossus

Giga Poster
Way :)
Firstly I want to thank Derek on a really well presented, interesting and organized competition. This competition has been the most challenging competition I have entered to date, it really pushed me to the edge, so far in fact I nearly killed my computer ha. No but seriously a really professionally run competition and I for one would be happy to have you manage future challenges.
Secondly I would like to thank the rest of the guys that entered, scw55, Thekingin64 and portemine.
Scw55, nice to have somebody new entering the comps, I look forward to seeing more from you in the future.
Thekingin64, your entries are getting better and better, I like watching you grow and I think your developing into a real skillful RCT creator.
portemine, another new entrant, your ride was both a real breath of fresh air, and really well done. I look forward to having yet more close battles with you in the future.

Thank you for congratulations guys, it means a lot to me that you liked my coaster and enjoyed watching it as much as I enjoyed creating it. I shall look at this coaster(s) in a higher regard then some of my others, because its a winner.:) I`m honored to win this competition, the final vote was just as close as I thought it would be, and I really look forward to having yet more close battles with all you guys in the near future.
So in conclusion, I thank you for your kind words of congratulations, but I also thank you guys for pushing me to the limit with your entries, and once again to Derek, in a way, you all created Clash of the Titans.

Colossus

Giga Poster
portemine said:
[EDIT] : Oh and, by the way, I intend to organise my own contest, right after CP10's. I have already ideas for this and I'm looking forward to what you could deliver

That`s cool, we should perhaps operate a rotation system between all us regular players? lol

scw55

Hyper Poster
The lack of scenery from my entry was due to wanting the terrain to be the scenery. I had missed entry to the terrain contest and really wished I had entered it so I thought I'd combine both themes.
I really didn't want to over do the scenery.

Fear not, I will start to use breaks in my future entries and less lethal element.

I think the layout suffered because I was focusing on maintaining synchronisation and duelling.

reddude333

Giga Poster
I liked the terrain as a whole...but there are ways of incorporating more theming into a terrain coaster. To be honest though, the lack of theming really didn't make a big impact on your final score; it was mostly technique that I took off points for.

Like I said though, great work with the dueling aspect...perhaps that should have been weighted more than other characteristics...

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
Great entries everyone....I'm glad I didn't have to decide.
AGAIN, I haven't managed to enter (so sorry about that Derek) but hope to enter a few more competitions in the future.
Well done to CP10! :--D

That recent video that Portem!me posted reminded me just of Battlestar galactia : Human vs Cylon at Universal studios Singapore....

uss_sci_fi_indiv_battlestar_galactica.jpg

So nothing new there!

reddude333

Giga Poster
Perhaps, the unique aspect of portemines design was that they were different manufacturers as opposed to Battlestar

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
Here's my view on matters:

Reddude333 has made a superb judging effort!

Overall, very good efforts from everyone, and any criticism I give will be just nit-picking.

theKingin64

Coasters A great idea to have duelling dive machines! The coasters had good pacing and elements...as Derek said, certainly your best coaster (s) yet!

Interaction The interaction you had was great (headchoppers etc), but there could have been more.

Theming A really superb theming effort, although the station could have had a roof!

SCW55

Coasters A really sweet layout with plenty of inversions!

Interaction LOADS of duelling here, and your coasters just look majestic off - ride! Who really cares about realism, at least we're making an attempt to try and kill the peeps!

Theming A great use of terrain and story, but the glass building looked a little out of place.

CP10

Coasters What great flyers and ratings! Lots of pace, inversions, drops and twists all add up to amazing coasters!

Interaction Some great (and lots of) duelling elements here, especially the v. Loops! A deserved winner...

Theming A nice, constant them here, with plently of aesthetically pleasing buildings and terrain features (water bodies).

Portem!me

Coasters Firstly the idea was great! Arrow and B&M...such an unlikely combination! Great elements.

InteractionSome really nice duelling! Perfect timing.

Theming A radically different theming effort here, whcih works really well! :--D

I can't help but agree with Derek!

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
In any event, I believe this has to be the best dueling ever made on RCT3. Or at least one of the very best :

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-btp6BlEXA&feature=colike[/youtube]

So clever, so amazing, so original...

And actually, the creator of this vid is no other than Moby, designer of Steel Jungle !

reddude333

Giga Poster
That certainly was brilliant. One of the best creations I've ever seen on RCT3.

And thanks CoasterCrazy for your reviews. Some good insight there...

scw55

Hyper Poster
I'm jealous of his patience to keep tinkering with the degree of rotation of the seats. I just rotate the seats 180* during a twist after the lift hill and pretend it's an inverted (now) wingrider.

If that coaster existed irl it would be an engineer's and a rider's nightmare. The amount of constant near-misses would make my blood run cold and I would believe I would die. Doesn't help that the rider is unable to keep record of where the track's going to go. Utter mind *beep* :D